New LA Gun laws started Jan 1

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    New Louisiana laws designed to stop criminals and those with mental health problems from being able to buy guns go into effect with the start of the new year on Wednesday. They are among many new laws being added in 2014.

Gov. Bobby Jindal pushed for the gun restrictions in response to the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in Connecticut in which 20 children and six adults died. The alleged shooter, Adam Lanza, who also killed his mother and himself, was believed to have mental health issues.

The new laws implement a statewide system of reporting designed to capture the names of individuals with criminal convictions as well as those judicially determined to be mentally ill. The data are collected and reported to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System .

Retailers will have to check the names in the NICS database against a purchaser’s before selling a gun.
    http://theadvocate.com/home/7933539-125/new-laws-take-effect-at

Lake area gun owners comment on new state gun laws
    http://www.kplctv.com/story/24364944/lake-area-gun-owners

tupperware9mm

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Well if you look back to 1980, President jimmy carter and all of the libtards felt that too many people were being locked up in mental wards against their will so they passed the mental care systems act. What it did was raise the standard for institutionalizing mental patients. It also released a huge amount of patient out of the facilities and into the care of their families. It all sounded good but very quickly it became apparent that the families did not have the resources to manage their mentally handicapped relatives which lead to an entire new class of people,... are you ready,.... drum roll,... yes it is the homeless people,... we never had that,.. before this was passed, just the usual couple of bums and hobos that hung out at the greyhound station. It also made it very hard to institutionalize people like Adam Lanza. So thank you liberals every time you try to save somebody you screw things up big, never admit your mistake, and move on to the next crisis like a hoard of locust.

Ronson2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    What do they use to determine if a person has a mental problem. I see judicial judgement but I am not sure how a person would end up in that position.

Last edited:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I liked the below comment which was posted to that Advocate article. And I agree...there are just too many laws.

It is impossible for the average person to keep up with the new laws that are passed each year. We live on hopes that neither the State legislature nor Congress has passed a law that affects our daily life. "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" and in this case ignorance means lack of knowledge. You can bet your sweet behind that most of us violate a half dozen laws each day and do not have to leave our homes to do so. One of Robert Heinlein's science fiction characters suggested that one of the houses of the legislature should pass laws and the other should repeal them. A simple majority could repeal a law but a 2/3 majority would be required to pass a new law.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Yes,
    Soon it will be, " I see Mr LNSVince, you are taking Prozac............" We'll Need all of your assault weapons, Sir ! :draw:

Exactly. As it is now...yes, I think it would take a judicial order to loose ones rights. But, give them 5 or 10 years...and I am sure some jackass will introduce a bill which widens the net. That's my point.

All it takes is another media event of some nut who slipped through the cracks...And our law makers will then pass more feel good laws. Bottom line is that the world will always be a dangerous place. There is no way to make it totally safe by passing more laws.
    When it comes to guns, there is a large portion of the population which wants to do away with the 2nd Amendment. It may not happen this or next year...But eventually, I think that it will.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Nope. Coroner cannot get you added to the list. Only a judge.

Unless im just totally wrong and laws are diferant from parish to parish, Yes the Coroner can have you commited for being sucicidal or if you cannot mentaly care for your self. Ive seen it first hand a few times in Washington Parish. Maybe Im missing something?

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Unless im just totally wrong and laws are diferant from parish to parish, Yes the Coroner can have you commited for being sucicidal or if you cannot mentaly care for your self. Ive seen it first hand a few times in Washington Parish. Maybe Im missing something?

He's saying an involuntary admit from a physician or coroner doesn't lose you your 2A rights, only if you come before a judge

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Yea, i went back and read it all again and realized how stupid I am.

Not stupid. The whole thing is confusing. Most doctors & nurses don't know either unless they have worked psych for a significant amount of time in a very specialized setting. As it stands, you can only be added to the NICS list if you are Judicially Committed by a judge in a court of law. What usually happens is around once a month, a judge will travel to various hospitals and hold court somewhere on the inpatient unit. You are given a court appointed lawyer who will defend you.

Now this may change soon. You may soon possibly be able to be added to the list if you have had a fiduciary assigned. This means it has been determined that you cannot handle your finances and your retirement/disability/whatever checks are not given to you but someone else the government decides is a responsible person. In the past, I have seen this used to rescue senior citizens checks from greedy, useless family members. I've also seen it used on addicts who blow their entire service connected checks on on drugs or booze then have nowhere to stay. They usually have mental problems as well. To my knowledge, the VA has not begun the process mainly I believe because of logistics. I do know that a judge is not required to enact a fiduciary so in the future it could have some potential for abuse.

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    When it comes to guns, there is a large portion of the population which wants to do away with the 2nd Amendment. It may not happen this or next year...But eventually, I think that it will.

I would respectfully disagree with this statement. What we have is a segment of the population that wishes to do away with citizen gun rights. We next have a slightly larger segment that wishes to protect them. Thirdly, we have a HUGE segment that is apathetic to the issue. The third segment allows the first to have their way with the second.
    Regards

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I would respectfully disagree with this statement. What we have is a segment of the population that wishes to do away with citizen gun rights. We next have a slightly larger segment that wishes to protect them. Thirdly, we have a HUGE segment that is apathetic to the issue. The third segment allows the first to have their way with the second.
    Regards

Agreed...all one must do is check out any major election results. On average...An extremely heated and contested national election with a HIGH turnout...Usually tracks @ 50% of the registered voters have voted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom