New Math

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I just finished a night of new 3rd grade math and there were a couple moments of "I don't know what the hell they are talking about".
    In the beginning basic addition, subtraction and multiplication IMO should be memorized to the point of second nature.
    Checking work by reverse actions then needs to be implemented.
    Place value and regrouping ect should then be taught to help further learning.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I just finished a night of new 3rd grade math and there were a couple moments of "I don't know what the hell they are talking about".
    In the beginning basic addition, subtraction and multiplication IMO should be memorized to the point of second nature.
    Checking work by reverse actions then needs to be implemented.
    Place value and regrouping ect should then be taught to help further learning.

Sir, we don't need any logic or common thinking in common core. :)

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I literally just finished helping my kindergartener do her math homework, and shes going take a bath.

I don't see what the big deal is with common core. I'm not a teacher and I'm not related to anybody who is, and I make it a point not to get super- political, but from what I can tell so far they're just teaching kids to find more than one way to solve problems. I mean come on, guys- right now I have a device in my pocket that I can use to access the entire sum of human knowledge within seconds. Yet I work with people that can't figure out how to format a .xlsx file. Maybe it's actually time to think about teaching our kids to be good at solving problems instead of memorizing charts.

Again, I couldn't care less about whatever the politics of the thing are, but from the outside looking in, it sorta looks like a step in the right direction...

Hrmmmm, if by more than one way you mean considering anything other than what they tell you is wrong... yup. And you should care about the politics, you don't have to be super political to want to understand whom is taking a front seat in educating your child.

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    I've been doing math like this for years! Didn't know this was the common core method. Just makes it easier and faster to do math in your head than the old way of "cross out the 2, make it a 1, carry the 1 to the 5 to make 15, now subtract 8 - carry the answer (7) down below the line in the ones place. Cross out the 3 make it a 2, carry a 1 to the tens place to make 11 now subtract 3 -carry the 8 below the line in the tens place. Now subtract an imaginary 0 from the number that is now a 2 in the hundreds place above and write that below the line in the hundreds place. Answer is 287"

Whew, so glad the"old" way was so much easier and to the point.

eggplant33

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Covington, LA
    I've been doing math like this for years! Didn't know this was the common core method. Just makes it easier and faster to do math in your head than the old way of "cross out the 2, make it a 1, carry the 1 to the 5 to make 15, now subtract 8 - carry the answer (7) down below the line in the ones place. Cross out the 3 make it a 2, carry a 1 to the tens place to make 11 now subtract 3 -carry the 8 below the line in the tens place. Now subtract an imaginary 0 from the number that is now a 2 in the hundreds place above and write that below the line in the hundreds place. Answer is 287"

Whew, so glad the"old" way was so much easier and to the point.

I'm with you on this. It's seems they've just written out how most mental math is performed. I've heard lots of complaints about common core that seem to be legitimate, but this doesn't seem like a real problem.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I literally just finished helping my kindergartener do her math homework, and shes going take a bath.

I don't see what the big deal is with common core. I'm not a teacher and I'm not related to anybody who is, and I make it a point not to get super- political, but from what I can tell so far they're just teaching kids to find more than one way to solve problems. I mean come on, guys- right now I have a device in my pocket that I can use to access the entire sum of human knowledge within seconds. Yet I work with people that can't figure out how to format a .xlsx file. Maybe it's actually time to think about teaching our kids to be good at solving problems instead of memorizing charts.

Again, I couldn't care less about whatever the politics of the thing are, but from the outside looking in, it sorta looks like a step in the right direction...

There's nothing wrong with teaching other ways, but they are just barely skimming the basic fundamentals and not building a solid foundation.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    The issues with implementation not withstanding, the point of this is to teach kids HOW to think versus WHAT to think. The problem with the old way is as soon as the information people have been taught doesn't solve the problem many have no idea how to simply think it through.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    The issues with implementation not withstanding, the point of this is to teach kids HOW to think versus WHAT to think. The problem with the old way is as soon as the information people have been taught doesn't solve the problem many have no idea how to simply think it through.

Just waiting to see how common core tackles a quadratic equation. Or Algebra.

esscjs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Its another big government issue that the liberals love. Bobby Jideal agreed to it at first for out state but then said he didn't want it in our state. It was supposed to be used so that every state was teaching the same curriculum to the students. It was never meant to be used as a teaching procedure. Its another reason I put my child in private schools.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    how to do math today:

c48k74j8b38l6ajfd9xb.png

and to think that when I did this once upon a time, i got accused of cheating and received an F. I was just ahead of my time.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    They are making math way harder and longer than it needs to be for kids. This is insane.

math is quickly becoming irrelevant ala technology. I think in our lifetime we will see a dozen or so traditional classes become moot.

Foreign language, simple to moderate mathematics, grammar, etc to begin the list. I read somewhere that the next "latin" will be "manuscript", ie; nothing written by hand anymore.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Hrmmmm, if by more than one way you mean considering anything other than what they tell you is wrong... yup. And you should care about the politics, you don't have to be super political to want to understand whom is taking a front seat in educating your child.

They're teaching them different methods to solve problems. If the kid is supposed to be learning a particular method, and uses a different one, I can see how they would get a bad grade on that one particular test. And I couldn't care less who my kid's teacher voted for in the last election.

Its another big government issue that the liberals love. Bobby Jideal agreed to it at first for out state but then said he didn't want it in our state. It was supposed to be used so that every state was teaching the same curriculum to the students. It was never meant to be used as a teaching procedure. Its another reason I put my child in private schools.

The private school my daughter is in has been using common core for over a decade. They have a pretty darn good record. And none of it has to do with who the governor or the president is. It just makes sense...

how to do math today:

c48k74j8b38l6ajfd9xb.png

and to think that when I did this once upon a time, i got accused of cheating and received an F. I was just ahead of my time.

Imagine that. We probably should go back to memorizing multiplication charts. Who would DARE to teach our children to be successful citizens in 20 years when they'll be in the work force instead of when we entered it????

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    math is quickly becoming irrelevant ala technology. I think in our lifetime we will see a dozen or so traditional classes become moot.

Foreign language, simple to moderate mathematics, grammar, etc to begin the list. I read somewhere that the next "latin" will be "manuscript", ie; nothing written by hand anymore.

IMO, advanced mathematics and foreign language should not be required. High Schools should have elective courses, including: Advanced Mathematics, Foreign Languages, Trade Courses, and Higher Level Literature Courses. It can be argued that America has no national language, but I don't think I'll need to break out my Latin skills to help the old lady at the stop and rob.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    IMO, advanced mathematics and foreign language should not be required. High Schools should have elective courses, including: Advanced Mathematics, Foreign Languages, Trade Courses, and Higher Level Literature Courses. It can be argued that America has no national language, but I don't think I'll need to break out my Latin skills to help the old lady at the stop and rob.

If you break out a translate app it doesn't matter what language she speaks - including latin. The only valid reason to pay 500 bucks to rosetta stone is if you're traveling overseas and need to hit on chicks.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If you break out a translate app it doesn't matter what language she speaks - including latin. The only valid reason to pay 500 bucks to rosetta stone is if you're traveling overseas and need to hit on chicks.

I completely agree. Unfortunately, a large percentage of society doesn't understand how to access tools like that. I know of a few people that work on a computer daily and it takes them 15 minutes to one finger type a sentence.

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    I spent 2 days going over this stuff with my 2nd grader and she broke down and cried the second night because she couldn't understand it. I finally taught her the way I know it and within a half an hour she was adding and subtracting 4 and 5 digit numbers with carrying and borrowing. I have an excellent understanding of math (wrapping up a bachelors in engineering) and have all sorts of methods I use to help myself with things but I learned the basics first and figured out my own ways to make solving easier. I can appreciate teaching alternate methods to figure problems out but some of these problems take me a minute to grasp what they are even asking, for my daughter it has made her dread doing her math homework.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I spent 2 days going over this stuff with my 2nd grader and she broke down and cried the second night because she couldn't understand it. I finally taught her the way I know it and within a half an hour she was adding and subtracting 4 and 5 digit numbers with carrying and borrowing. I have an excellent understanding of math (wrapping up a bachelors in engineering) and have all sorts of methods I use to help myself with things but I learned the basics first and figured out my own ways to make solving easier. I can appreciate teaching alternate methods to figure problems out but some of these problems take me a minute to grasp what they are even asking, for my daughter it has made her dread doing her math homework.

OK, don't want to start any problems, but you can take your common sense and shove it... Just joking totally agree with you.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom