New medal for drone pilots outranks Bronze Star

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you think this Medal should rank HIGHER than the Bronze Star?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • No

Votes: 77 100.0%

• Total voters

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    My first thought was WTF? kind of still is.... :squint:

The Pentagon is creating a new high-level military medal that will recognize drone pilots and, in a controversial twist, giving it added clout by placing it above some traditional combat valor medals in the military’s “order of precedence.”

The Distinguished Warfare Medal will be awarded to pilots of unmanned aircraft, offensive cyber war experts or others who are directly involved in combat operations but who are not physically in theater and facing the physical risks that warfare historically entails.

The new medal will rank just below the Distinguished Flying Cross. It will have precedence over — and be worn on a uniform above — the Bronze Star with Valor device, a medal awarded to troops for specific heroic acts performed under fire in combat.
    http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...for-drone-pilots-outranks-bronze-star-021313/

I mean they DAMN SURE deserve something, but to put it above a man on the ground in battle dealing with the blood, sweat and grit of combat? I mean.....I don't get it....

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Is this one appropriate for drone controllers?

achievementlogo.jpg

Zephyr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft Polk
    Medals have been losing their meaning for a long time now. If a finance troop can get a bronze star for processing one of the bin laden raiders travel voucher, this kind of development doesn't particularly shock me. Doesn't lessen the disappointment any, though.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Medals have been losing their meaning for a long time now. If a finance troop can get a bronze star for processing one of the bin laden raiders travel voucher, this kind of development doesn't particularly shock me. Doesn't lessen the disappointment any, though.

As has the Nobel Peace Prize.

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I can understand the authorization for the new medal but ranking it just below the DFC is insane. Meaning no disrespect to drone pilots but it's got no place amoung awards for valor. I guess this is what you get with an administration that doesn't know the meaning of the word. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have Obama's bust superimposed over a rainbow for the design.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I can understand the authorization for the new medal but ranking it just below the DFC is insane. Meaning no disrespect to drone pilots but it's got no place amoung awards for valor. I guess this is what you get with an administration that doesn't know the meaning of the word. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have Obama's bust superimposed over a rainbow for the design.

I hate the way they pit us against each other like this though. This Administration seems so good at putting us against each other in every way.

Like I said, these Pilots RATE Awards. They pull the trigger and watch life disappear. That eventually catches up to a man regardless of whether or not he smells the stench of it all. In fact I posted an article not too long ago about Drone Pilots that was VERY Interesting and helpful to being things into perspective. Here >http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...at-Read*-Drone-Pilots-interesting-perspective

But even so, it's simply not comparable :dunno:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Yea, I remember reading that article throughout the day, a while back, but I'll be honest, at no point did it seem to me that their accomplishments ranked up there with combat vets ducking bullets, advancing through ambushes, and/or fighting through a setup over an IED trap. I mean, it's just a whole other world.

I'm just a spectator though. /shrug

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Blah. It's terrible.. They come home to the wife and kids every single f&%$^ng night, with an infinite number of square meals a day. They don't react to contact, or risk stepping on or driving over pressure switches. The worst they have to endure is the hour or two long flight if anything to reach their area of observation/air support. I just might reenlist for this MOS just so I can play Call of Duty all day and receive a paycheck, sure beats the hell out of the stench of body fluids, and watching my best friends scream out in horror or having to drop a bead on someone.

Correction, NOTHING beats ensuring you're bringing your best friends home to their wives and children, and families abroad. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Nothing like scooping up foreign soil and running it through your fingertips, wondering how the Hell you're all going to make it back. Here's to the Grunts.

Doc

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Once again Hitman I meant no disrespect to the "arm chair Pilots". I have the highest regard for anyone who wears or has worn the uniform regardless of MOS.These pilots have a job to do and I'm sure at times it's quite stressful. But I can't imagine it's the same as being in the cockpit flying over the target area you're about to hit. If a drone gets shot down or goes down for any reason the pilot still gets out of his chair and goes home that night. No crash, no parachute ejection, no threat of falling into enemy hands, no worries about getting blown up from an IED or getting your head blown off from an enemy sniper. He simply assumes his chair again the next time and life goes on. I know that's a simplification but it's pretty well the facts.
    Still I have no problem with them receiving an award. However I have a huge problem of where the pentagon placed it. I mean come on, just under the DFC! That's my objection and I still think that part is total insanity and a reflection of just how much the Pentagon and this administration is detatched from the rank and file military.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Not to thread drift, but I am curious. Do they send out recruiters to these big expos where all the so-called elite gamers gather to try and recruit them for the position of flying the drones?? Or do they do their own testing of new recruits and single them out for the job?? I have to agree that some sort of recognition is in order for those that accomplish said goals, but not to which they are placing it.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    To further my rant... Why is this being held higher than a bronze star? These guys are simply doing their job. They aren't going above and beyond the simple call of duty, no hails of gunfire, dangerous terrain or enemy patrols to negotiate. They aren't in a direct threat of danger. The enemy will never know their faces. I am baffeled why this isn't held in the same regard as an ARCOM or ARCOM with a V if American or coalition lives were saved due to a drone. I mean it's as if chow hall cooks get a silver star for making a 5 course meal twice a week for the entire 12 or 15 month duration. They're simply doing the job the army assigned them.

It is extremely insulting to those who've died in direct combat only to be awarded a Bronze Star while these cats, sitting pretty are awarded this highly "meritorious" medal. I'm in disgust with the entire thought of it all.

Last edited:

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Once again Hitman I meant no disrespect to the "arm chair Pilots". I have the highest regard for anyone who wears or has worn the uniform regardless of MOS.These pilots have a job to do and I'm sure at times it's quite stressful. But I can't imagine it's the same as being in the cockpit flying over the target area you're about to hit. If a drone gets shot down or goes down for any reason the pilot still gets out of his chair and goes home that night. No crash, no parachute ejection, no threat of falling into enemy hands, no worries about getting blown up from an IED or getting your head blown off from an enemy sniper. He simply assumes his chair again the next time and life goes on. I know that's a simplification but it's pretty well the facts.
    Still I have no problem with them receiving an award. However I have a huge problem of where the pentagon placed it. I mean come on, just under the DFC! That's my objection and I still think that part is total insanity and a reflection of just how much the Pentagon and this administration is detatched from the rank and file military.

This. +1,000,000.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Once again Hitman I meant no disrespect to the "arm chair Pilots". .

Yea I agree with you....you think I don't? :confused: :p

Not to thread drift, but I am curious. Do they send out recruiters to these big expos where all the so-called elite gamers gather to try and recruit them for the position of flying the drones?? Or do they do their own testing of new recruits and single them out for the job?? I have to agree that some sort of recognition is in order for those that accomplish said goals, but not to which they are placing it.

No it's just an MOS. A guy I work with has a son who is trying to get into the MOS now. He has a HELO Mechanic MOS now?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    To further my rant... Why is this being held higher than a bronze star? These guys are simply doing their job. They aren't going above and beyond the simple call of duty, no hails of gunfire, dangerous terrain or enemy patrols to negotiate. They aren't in a direct threat of danger. The enemy will never know their faces. I am baffeled why this isn't held in the same regard as an ARCOM or ARCOM with a V if American or coalition lives were saved due to a drone. I mean it's as if chow hall cooks get a silver star for making a 5 course meal twice a week for the entire 12 or 15 month duration. They're simply doing the job the army assigned them.

It is extremely insulting to those who've died in direct combat only to be awarded a Bronze Star while these cats, sitting pretty are awarded this highly "meritorious" medal. I'm in disgust with the entire thought of it all.

Even though CEHollier didn't expand on his post; he did mean to express the watering down of medals and awards of late, across the board.

The Pretender was given the Nobel Peace Prize! It doesn't get more watered down and trivialized than that!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom