New Members joining solely for marketplace buying and selling.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The classifieds are the most popular section of the site and I welcome members who join just to participate in it. It's up to you as a seller to vet these new people to insure you are not being set up. There are many ways to do this. These days, it's rare I have to meet someone without first being able to get their name, Facebook, phone number, etc. If you are feeling uneasy about the deal just call it off. I have flaked out on buyers and sellers because I just didn't feel comfortable with it for some reason (mostly craiglist deals).

Truth. We all start at zero and that is no reflection of anything other than time on the forum. I agree that is better to have some history on the person as far as posts and feedback score but somebody has to pop their cherry. The Marketplace is a very interesting sub-forum just because of the variety of things that come available. Come for the Marketplace, stay for the discussions.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I bought something from someone who signed up for the sole reason to contact me through my WTB thread. Deal was fair and went down good. I posted his first props.

Sure you'll have people join simply to sell stuff. If it don't work, so be it. You shouldn't be any less smart or less aware than any other deal with any other member with whom you're not intimately familiar. If they don't get sales or contacts because of their grammar, profit seeking or any other reason, then the problem will sort itself out quickly.

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    I came to this site almost a year ago for the classifieds and have learned a lot since then. I'm thankful there's no minimum post or I probably wouldn't have signed up. I have met a lot of good people through this site and spend most of my free time browsing. I also have been messaged about wts ads and had a bad feeling so I backed out. I met someone on here when I first signed up and it seemed like a real shady deal. Guy only had 1 post and it was a reply to something I was selling (back when you could reply). I met him at the gas station and he drove 1.5 hrs to meet. He didn't want to handle the rifle (ak) but insisted on wrapping it in a jacket to carry it. Then as soon as I pulled off he called and wanted to know how to load the drum mag (clip). He hasn't posted again since.

MOΛΩN ΛABE

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have had members PM me with "Hi, I'm interested in _______. I'm located in _______ and am willing to meet you. *Asks details about the item*"

And that is perfectly fine.

But it's mostly "Hey bud, I want that gun. Call me 555-5555"

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I joined back in October because I have similar interests of others on here. The marketplace is great and all, but I have yet to buy anything from anyone on here. I think limiting via post count is kinda useless...people will just make junk posts that no one wants to read!

bakerman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    St Tammany
    well as you can tell from my join date, I'm one of them :rolleyes:

I could really kick my friends ass for saying, "check out Bayoushooters" I've already bought three firearms, probably paid a little to much for, sold I think 8....way to cheap, and sold a lot of ammo below the going rate

Yep Parker, I am going to kick your ass :p:p

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    This ain't La. Sportsmen, don't treat it as such and be welcomed, we can't blast asshattery in the marketplace anymore(can you imagine!) but the strong minded stick around, the dumb asses keep on moving......it all comes back to center.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I don't give a **** if they're just here for the classifieds. You ever buy a newspaper just to check the classifieds? Should they /require/ you read the sports section, the comics, and arts section before you're allowed to read the classifieds?

Why should I be out a potential DEAL because you wanted to make friends with him before he's allowed to buy my gun?

get-off-my-lawn.jpg

Dis.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    There is nothing wrong with anyone joining this site solely for the marketplace.

I would rather that than someone joining to post random nonsense on here because they aren't getting enough attention on their Facebook page...

JR1572

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Recently I posted a WTB ad and received a PM from a member that had zero posts. We texted back and forth, agreed on a price and set up a meeting at a public place in a town right between us. We both showed up early, the deal went without a hitch and we were both happy campers. I did mention to him that I noticed he didn't post on the board and he said he mostly lurked to read all the good information. I can understand that. I'm a member of a few boards and hardly post there. That being said I do t use the classifieds there because I dont have any kind of reputation but that's just me. I guess I figure if they are non posters its no big deal to me. What I really find funny though are the new guys who only post to the classifieds and their listings are outrageous.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    There is nothing wrong with anyone joining this site solely for the marketplace.

I would rather that than someone joining to post random nonsense on here because they aren't getting enough attention on their Facebook page...

JR1572

chutch.jpg

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    This is all my opinion and personal experience...

I have had a few for sale threads lately and I'm getting PM's from members that have recently joined with little to no posts. It's a daily occurrence. While the traffic to the site is nice, this isn't the traffic I would generally like to see. Am I the only one that feels this way? I find it extremely difficult to trust someone with zero to ten posts, no feedback, and horrible grammar. Maybe it's just me being the cautious person I am.

What is everyone's else thought on the matter?

The arrogance is almost overwhelming.

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    I have had members PM me with "Hi, I'm interested in _______. I'm located in _______ and am willing to meet you. *Asks details about the item*"

And that is perfectly fine.

But it's mostly "Hey bud, I want that gun. Call me 555-5555"

Did you have a gun posted for sale?

Well then, what's the problem with the "Hey bud" response? You said "I have ___ for sale." He says he wants it. Isn't that kind of what is supposed to happened?

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    So being weary and cautious of whom I deal with, is arrogant?

It goes with the ole saying don't Judge a book by its cover...
    Try not to judge someone based on their post count.... That's what some are saying.
    Strike up a conversation, get a feel for them ya know.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

JR1572

AMEN!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It goes with the ole saying don't Judge a book by its cover...
    Try not to judge someone based on their post count.... That's what some are saying.
    Strike up a conversation, get a feel for them ya know.

I understand. I've dealt with new members before and had great deals. Communication was the key.

Top Bottom