New Mexico governor suspends open and concealed carry of guns in Albuquerque

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Just another example of a useless figurehead who, in order to be seen as "doing something," will stomp all over the rights of their constituents while full well knowing, and publicly acknowledging, that it won't stop criminals. I don't have the link, but heard a quote of her admitting that criminals are going to commit crimes so this won't affect them at all, but they're plodding ahead with this nonsense anyway. Disgusting!

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    So if you suspend open and concealed carry in ABQ will the thugs, ganger bangers, and armed robbers follow the ban? Do these sort of people respect and follow the law? They violate laws every single day in the past! It will prob actually increase crime BC the only people who will follow Gov Grisham's temp ban are law abiding citizens. And the armed thugs know this! Making their prey more vulnerable. Straight from the Joe Biden and the Dums playbook, banning firearms from law abiding citizens in an attempt to stop the bad behaviors of the other 2%. Or passing new laws to stop actions/violence which violates existing and long standing law. Genius plan! Grisham is a genius!

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    I read the article and did not see any situation noted where someone was killed or shot by a concealed carry person, or an open carry person. How exactly is this going to end the violence? I did see that you can transport a firearm if has a trigger lock. Who is going to enforce this? I, as an LEO would not.
    I travel to Colorado every year, and when in the Walmart in Pagosa Springs, I see numerous people open carrying (holstered firearms). Over the last several decades I have been going, I don't know of any case where anyone was shot or killed by someone open carrying or concealed carrying. And not too many reports of criminal activity either.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I will give the sheriff credit. He held a presser and said he will not enforce this unconstitutional order. While this is good news I'm sure the powers that be in the next session will start drafting bills that will chip away at CC etc...anything but going after the criminal element that they can't publicly admit exists.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    No one can use "I was ordered to do it" as a defense if they violate a law. Basically that means you are criminally (and civilly) liable for violating the law even if "your boss (superior, Governor, etc)" orders you to do something. That makes any LEO civilly and criminally liable if they enforce this law.

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    No one can use "I was ordered to do it" as a defense if they violate a law. Basically that means you are criminally (and civilly) liable for violating the law even if "your boss (superior, Governor, etc)" orders you to do something. That makes any LEO civilly and criminally liable if they enforce this law.
    That's an interesting point. I'll look it up later, but at what point does violation of a Constitutional right go from being a civil issue to a criminal one?

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm curious as to what other Constitutional amendments can be paused or placed on hold with the powers of "emergency order" or "emergency declaration"?

If covid-19 had shown us anything it's that your rights are second to public safety. And that public safety is anything from climate change, obesity, mask mandates, gas stoves, gas vehicles, and shot requirements.

How long can my freedoms be paused or placed on hold? Weeks, months, years?

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Remember...15 days to flatten the curve. I'm sure the dems are pissed at her for tipping the hand they plan to play come flu season when the new Wu flu is released. No worries though I'm sure they have more evil plans up their sleeve.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    That's an interesting point. I'll look it up later, but at what point does violation of a Constitutional right go from being a civil issue to a criminal one?
    I meant "civilly" liable as in getting sued. Civilly, you only have to prove a preponderance of the evidence whereas criminally you have to prove guilt beyond a shadow of a doubt.
    edited to add: Lose in civil court, and it costs you money- no jail time. Lose criminally and lose money AND go to jail.
    I guess I didn't really answer your question, but I am thinking if an Officer violates the arrestee's civil rights (as in Constitution), he can be sued civilly and can't say "My boss told me to violate that person's rights".

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I meant "civilly" liable as in getting sued. Civilly, you only have to prove a preponderance of the evidence whereas criminally you have to prove guilt beyond a shadow of a doubt.
    edited to add: Lose in civil court, and it costs you money- no jail time. Lose criminally and lose money AND go to jail.
    I guess I didn't really answer your question, but I am thinking if an Officer violates the arrestee's civil rights (as in Constitution), he can be sued civilly and can't say "My boss told me to violate that person's rights".
    Yeah, and I get that, I it just made me think about criminal sanctions. As an example, and again, I haven't spent any time really searching on this, but police may be criminally prosecuted for violating civil rights, but is that by statute or is it coming directly from the Constitution? I may not be asking the right question.

OK, I spent 30 seconds searching it. Federal statute below. So, by depriving people of their 2nd amendment rights, is that a crime?

TITLE 18, U.S.C., SECTION 242

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, ... shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    These days, who knows? At one time (and it might still be) the penalty for an LEO violating someone's Civil Rights was 10 years in Federal Prison, minimum. Haven't checked lately on any changes to that.

Top Bottom