New Orleans airport?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Having to pick someone up at airport at 12am in near future. Is a firearm allowed in vehicle? As in, just leaving it in vehicle as I go in to get person? Or is entire property restricted?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    any restriction wouldn't change my mind as to me not having one with me in nola... I believe you have a few more rights with a chp as to how far you can go in airport with one.. its been a while since i have been there but i was good with my chp all the way up to the part where the metal detectors were to board... there's pretty good signage as to where you cant go... so i wouldn't imagine there would be an issue in you car... like i said i wouldn't go if i couldn't have one there at a minimum

Last edited:

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    My understanding is that it's fine (assuming that you have a CCP, of course) as long as you are outside of security. I wouldn't open carry there, but I never do anyway.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I take and pickup tracie almost every week, I always have something in the toyota with me.
    I also suggest dropping off and picking up at the top level, the bottom levels are dangerous due to traffic and the design.
    just pull up to the door you need, closest you can to the doors, several lanes, but there are always guys like me who do it too.
    pop out, help with luggage and pop back in, drive away..

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I haven't been in the new terminal but when I would go pick up or drop off my girlfriend I carried my Glock. I have a CHP and never went in the secured area. I just sat and waited waiting area.

m1k3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Central, LA
    From Prohibited Locatoins on the lsp concealed handgun website (https://www.lsp.org/services/concealed-handgun-information/#prohibited):
    • Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage.
    From the USCCA "Federally Banned Locations for Carrying Firearms" webpage (https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/re...rally-banned-locations-for-carrying-firearms/):
    • Sterile areas of Airports -An individual may not have a weapon on or about the individual’s person or accessible property when entering or in a sterile area of an airport or when attempting to board or onboard an aircraft for which screening is conducted.
    Obviously, neither of these are the actual statutes or ordinances, but match my understanding of being allowed to concealed with a permit in the unsecured areas of airports. Basically, don't try to go through security with a concealed weapon.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    any restriction wouldn't change my mind as to me not having one with me in nola... I believe you have a few more rights with a chp as to how far you can go in airport with one.. its been a while since i have been there but i was good with my chp all the way up to the part where the metal detectors were to board... there's pretty good signage as to where you cant go... so i wouldn't imagine there would be an issue in you car... like i said i wouldn't go if i couldn't have one there at a minimum
    But he isn't going to nola....

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    But he isn't going to nola....
    The thread is titled "New Orleans Airport"? I suppose that one could argue that its actually in Metairie, but I doubt that the criminals know the difference. If he was going to north Baton Fallujah, "safe" is not the first thing that comes to mind either.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    The thread is titled "New Orleans Airport"? I suppose that one could argue that its actually in Metairie, but I doubt that the criminals know the difference. If he was going to north Baton Fallujah, "safe" is not the first thing that comes to mind either.
    It's not in Metairie.. Its in Kenner. I'm at the airport almost every day. There is 100% a difference between the airport and the city of New Orleans.

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    I carry in Kenner too. 100% is not nearly enough if you are using NOLA as the standard.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    I carry in Kenner too. 100% is not nearly enough if you are using NOLA as the standard.
    I carry whenever I go... Who is using nola as a standard. I'm just messing with him because he said nola.

I don't go to nola unless I have to for work. I have no worries or problems with going to Kenner and Metairie. Anything can happen anywhere but those two areas aren't any where near crime infested as nola.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I took this is December 2020, and it's still there as of this morning when I flew in from Vegas. It was always my understanding that it was hard to make carrying illegal in public places, with some exceptions like courthouse, police station, etc. I don't think it's legal to post the whole airport as a GFZ, but I'm certainly not going to test it in court. I'd love to hear from someone more informed on the law, maybe even an actual statute.

I posted here back in 2020 asking if there was some new law passed regarding the airport, but nobody really answered the question. I've never seen the old airport building posted, and I think these signs are someone's security theater ideal.

Not starting another "do gun buster signs carry the weight of law", and I'm not telling anyone to disregard the signs, but I usually ignore these "recommendations" unless it's an actual prohibited location.

As to OP's question, carrying in your car is absolutely legal in Louisiana.
    LA R.S. 14:95.2 C

(5) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.
    PXL_20201202_034220557.jpg

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I took this is December 2020, and it's still there as of this morning when I flew in from Vegas. It was always my understanding that it was hard to make carrying illegal in public places, with some exceptions like courthouse, police station, etc. I don't think it's legal to post the whole airport as a GFZ, but I'm certainly not going to test it in court. I'd love to hear from someone more informed on the law, maybe even an actual statute.

I posted here back in 2020 asking if there was some new law passed regarding the airport, but nobody really answered the question. I've never seen the old airport building posted, and I think these signs are someone's security theater ideal.

Not starting another "do gun buster signs carry the weight of law", and I'm not telling anyone to disregard the signs, but I usually ignore these "recommendations" unless it's an actual prohibited location.

As to OP's question, carrying in your car is absolutely legal in Louisiana.
    LA R.S. 14:95.2 C

(5) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.
    View attachment 141910
    If you go by that sign no one could bring in a gun to be checked for flight.

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    They can ask you to leave (and I would), but other than that, unless you are just being difficult, it's not "illegal" IMO.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I pick up my daughter and family when they fly in. There is a free lot for waiting for someone. I park there and wait for her to call that they have their luggage and are outside waiting. I drop them off on the top level, say goodbyes and drive off. All this while carrying concealed, I don't go into the terminal.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Having to pick someone up at airport at 12am in near future. Is a firearm allowed in vehicle? As in, just leaving it in vehicle as I go in to get person? Or is entire property restricted?
    As long as you can legally possess a firearm (you are not a felon), you can legally keep a pistol in your vehicle at the airport.

You cannot (attempt to) bring a firearm past security in the airport.

You are probably OK carrying concealed in the airport before security, but the law on that is finicky due to the presence of their silly signage.

RussnAttitude

always learning
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    UN
    Youd be hard pressed to find a capable individual with half a brain anywhere in the new Orleans metro area, including Kenner, without a firearm.. concealed is concealed. Don't mention/flaunt it, and keep on keeping on. I'm for one wouldn't trust a sign to keep me safe.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    They are watching movement and body language. Do not adjust or fiddle with it. I was at Bush waiting for my sons return flight. Had a kidney stent after having one removed. Was sitting close to a bathroom because every 5 minutes or so I had to go. I told my wife after getting up 4 times or so I would probably be questioned soon. Sure enough two full kit warriors with long guns (sbr) and a dog was at my 12 o'clock and just looking at me. I smiled nodded and got up to go pee again. They hung out for 5-7 minutes or so then disappeared into another part of the airport. This was not conscience.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom