New rifle, need suggestions and also help with Co-Witness, sight choices, etc...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    Guys, I'm new to the AR genre, and have a Windham flattop receiver model with no front or rear sights at all which currently has a UTG illuminated crosshair (green to red) scope on it . This is how I bought it and I am considering my options right now. While I don't see myself running the gauntlet in competition with it or needing to clear a house SWAT style, I do like the idea of the weapon being setup in a way where it is flexible and can be used for range shooting as well as up close home self defense as well.
    I have heard the term co-witness multiple times and want to find out accurately what it defines. My assumption is that it means having a peep or rear iron sight that matches up along with/in conjunction with a red dot or halo optic and confirms or backs up the fact that the primary optic is on point. Is this correct or am I way off base on this?
    As far as BUIS I am considering either a set of flip up(spring assist or not) or possibly a 45 degree canted offset front and rear iron sight set. Either way I am thinking I want to stick with some form of optic sight as my primaries, though at the moment not sure if it will be a red dot, halo or possibly a standard scope with or with out magnifier(though I suspect a couple of these options may be cost prohibitive for me right now, on a very tight budget) Should I keep the cheaper scope that on it already and just add the 45 degree offset BUIS or ditch it and go a different route and why?
    My budget overall for BUIS and optics will need to be maxed out unfortunately around $275-$300, so obviously Eotech and Aimpiont are out (unless someone wants to give me one out of the kindness of their hearts ;) )

Can you guys please post what you have right now on your rifles and tell me what you like and dislike about the setup and give me suggestions that you think would be good for me considering the price range I am restricted to? I appreciate it thanks!

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    Do you have a front sight block or a railed gas block? I used to have the eotech co-witness with front and rear sights. Mine were lower 1/3 co-witness so they wouldn't affect my dot. I never used the irons so I went with the vortex 1-4 and cut my fsb off.

MOΛΩN ΛABE

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    I believe that if I understand you correctly, I have the Picatinny Rail Gas Block, since there is no pinned front sight block. The rifle I have is the R16M4FTT “SRC” which is this one:
    SRC%2016%20L.jpg

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    Yes it's a railed gas block. If you go with a magnified optic I'd put the angle iron sights on it. But if you stay with a red dot might as well put the regular flip sights. The vortex red dot is a good option in your price range.

MOΛΩN ΛABE

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom