New rock river arms lar-15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brpdsoldier1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just purchased a new LAR-15 and had a chance to shoot it yesterday. I must say that this is a great weapon for the price. We put many rounds down range without a problem. I would like to hear opinions on items to put on the weapon and opinions of things that may need to be replaced to make this rifle even better. I know its all shooter preference but I would like to hear some great ideas.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I have two operators. Zero problems so far with any ammo, even the cheap monarch steel stuff that won't cycle my spikes or my friends Noveske. Very accurate, the gas key is properly staked on both.

Replace? I prefer the hogue grip over the ergo that comes on the RR. A Medium tac-latch would be nice. That's about it.

brpdsoldier1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I will definantly take a look at the Hogue grips. May be something worth changing. It was a pleasure to shoot this weapon as is. It will be a while but I do intend on purchasing an Eotech or Red Dot for it when funds permit.

Last edited:

gotabyte

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    I have an LAR-15 also and have shot lots of steel ammo with no problems. I do clean after each range trip. It is build solid and tight. I changed the grip also as well as the hand guard.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    In the grand scheme of things, they don't top the list of "super quality ARs".

That said-- I've beaten the tar out of mine the past few years with no ill effects as of yet. Given, they don't get nearly the work out that my hard use pistols do... But I've abused the thing enough to be able to say that my rifle at least is up to snuff.

However... One can say that about any individual example from pretty much every decent company turning out ARs. What separates a lot of those companies from the next is how often they put out a problem unit, and what the nature of that problem is. QC, in other words.

I've personally handled RR's with a poorly milled (i.e. crooked) flat top. I've seen some of the shoddier gas key stakes backing out and mucking up the works. (It was decent on my AR, but I bought it from them like 8 years ago...) There seems to be a LOT of variance between examples of their 2-stage triggers, rifle-to-rifle right out of the box. There's also something wonky about the safety on mine-- the raised "starburst" as opposed to the MilSpec unit; it's shelf is bigger, for one thing.

Now it sounds like some of you will be jealous-- mine came with the Hogue grip; didn't know they had gotten away from that. I despise that grip, however-- you can't get nearly high enough on the gun with it, so it got scrapped for a MIAD.

It's hard for me to rank RR's; too much changes from year to year and rifle to rifle to say for sure. Obviously for your average Joe, they're pretty quality; even for a patrol rifle, I wouldn't balk if you gave me one. The new packages they've come out with since I purchased mine are pretty decent deals in most cases-- provided the actual seller doesn't rake you over the coals. I don't like the commercial buffer tube or semi-auto BCG that mine came with; I do like the 2-stage, though. Mixed bag of good and bad in my experience-- provided you get one that works properly.

Oh, and now I wonder about the gas port given the story of the Spikes and Noveske that wouldn't cycle Monarch, and the RR that would. Overbored/overgassed?

brpdsoldier1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks Sin-ster. My rifle is for personal use and will be kept at home, probably never used for patrol unless the dept changes policy. The results from yesterdays shoot was more than satisfying and I am looking for much more good times from the rifle. If I do run into a problem this will be my first place to find the answer before anywhere else. Only been here a few days and have observed tons of valuable information. Thanks to the guys that dont hesitatate to give info and made even a lil "bull" sometimes! Lol

cjscore

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    My short list:
    A good Sling (I am fond of Gear Sector GS-2p) I hear good things about Vikings Tactical slings also.
    A few Magazines (I like to keep 8-10 loaded)
    Lots of Ammo (For plenty of trigger time)

On the Red Dot Scope question, I own Aimpoint Micro H1 $450, Eotech 516 $450, and a Primary Arms Multi Reticle $100. Aimpoint has the best battery life and is rugged. Eotech has a wider field of view and a nice Reticle (Circle with Dot). The Primary Arms (Looks like the Aimpoint M2) has 4 different reticles for versatility and is pretty nice for the price.

Hope this helped a little bit and hope you enjoy your rifle.

brpdsoldier1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yea I have been pulled both ways between the Eotech and the Red Dot. Bout a 50-50 split at the moment. Guess I will just have to check em both out. I just purchased the rifle and it came with two 30 round mags. I then picked up a Magpul 30 round mag for $15.00. The price for the mag did not seem bad at all. I will definantly purchase more mags and equipment as money allows. I am attempting to buy some hurricane items (ie generator, window unit, so on) but the rifle is definantly holding my attention longer than the window unit!! lol

Top Bottom