New Ruger Gunsite Scout .308

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Just picked it up today. Really excited to bring it out tomorrow to shoot. Gonna use the irons for a bit then get an optic for it. Its a very nice light rifle. Looking to shoot out to 200 or so yards with it.

IMG_0690.jpg

Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    Hickock45 did a pretty good review on it. I like it based on what i've read. I'd love to shoot one, so please, give us a report when you're done so we can drool.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Hickock45 did a pretty good review on it. I like it based on what i've read. I'd love to shoot one, so please, give us a report when you're done so we can drool.

Yeah watched that before I bought it. Its one of the reviews that made me want it more.

I still don't get the appeal, but...

It looks sexy. :naughty:

It is one of those love it or hate it type rifles from what I have been reading.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I still say they should have made it take easy to find and cheap FAL or M1A mags and it would have been perfect but I really like what I have seen so far.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Brought it out today and was very impressed. Even happier when I got to Nicks range and I was the only one there for an hour which was cool.

Put 40 rounds through it which is what I brought with me. Trigger is very nice and the bolt after few rounds felt very smooth. Has a decent punch to it with the 16" barrel, but nothing uncomfortable. As of now I am just using irons. Was shooting nice groups at 50 and 100 yards. Cant wait to get some glass on it.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    It is one of those love it or hate it type rifles from what I have been reading.

I think it boils down to my 100% utilitarian approach to all things that go bang. I know for certain that I have no use for a Scout rifle, but at the same time struggle to figure out how anyone else could either...

It's short, it's light, it's pretty accurate in a not-too-humble cartridge... But it just seems like a bastard of a true bolt gun and an AR or similar carbine-- at least to me.

Detachable box mag and bolt action don't make a ton of sense to me personally-- there are other rifles out there that do both things better, this day in age. The forward eye relief optic mount really boggles my mind-- especially when so few optics that work that way are offered in the magnifications that make sense for what so much of this rifle SEEMS to want to do...

I can't come up with a situation in which I don't say, "I'd rather have an AR/bolt gun." There's probably one or two out there, but definitely not something I'd encounter regularly... if at all. :dunno:

It is pretty to look at and I hear they shoot well-- for that reason alone, it's a curiosity to me at least. I'm not familiar enough with the guns themselves or the design principles to truly lambast them, either. I just keep thinking that I'd build a lightweight 300 Blackout instead, and be done with it...

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    I think it boils down to my 100% utilitarian approach to all things that go bang. I know for certain that I have no use for a Scout rifle, but at the same time struggle to figure out how anyone else could either...

It's short, it's light, it's pretty accurate in a not-too-humble cartridge... But it just seems like a bastard of a true bolt gun and an AR or similar carbine-- at least to me.

Detachable box mag and bolt action don't make a ton of sense to me personally-- there are other rifles out there that do both things better, this day in age. The forward eye relief optic mount really boggles my mind-- especially when so few optics that work that way are offered in the magnifications that make sense for what so much of this rifle SEEMS to want to do...

I can't come up with a situation in which I don't say, "I'd rather have an AR/bolt gun." There's probably one or two out there, but definitely not something I'd encounter regularly... if at all. :dunno:

It is pretty to look at and I hear they shoot well-- for that reason alone, it's a curiosity to me at least. I'm not familiar enough with the guns themselves or the design principles to truly lambast them, either. I just keep thinking that I'd build a lightweight 300 Blackout instead, and be done with it...

You are right about it being kinda an odd duck, but it was built to fufill a ideaology. An ideaology that was forumlated and refined before a lot of the guns we use today were produced. The forward mount optic is a comprimise for increased accuracy at range with ability for quick acquisition of a target. The box mag was so that it could be reloaded faster and hold more rounds than a stock bolt gun and would be useful for a military scouting rifle.

It is essentially a gun produced after its time but one that still has a large following.

It has its flaws just like any other rifle, but it also has quite a few benefits that are not very common either.

I personally like the size of the rifle but would prefer a 18 inch barrel and a different action (I have trouble cycling a mauser action very quickly without it binding on me). The forward mount would be handy if i was using a red dot or reflex sight but i would stick to the more common type of scopes that fit over the action for any longer range or precision shots. I love rugers iron sights, but you can't leave the rear sight mounted and use a conventional scope.

However I do agree with you about choosing a dedicated AR or Bolt gun as a first option since they are so flexible now.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I can't come up with a situation in which I don't say, "I'd rather have an AR/bolt gun." There's probably one or two out there, but definitely not something I'd encounter regularly... if at all.

I can come up with a situation where I'd rather have a bolt gun (for long shots). I can come up with a situation where I'd rather have an AR (multiple targets). But what if you can only pack one rifle and limited ammo. Say you're traveling on foot and have a full load of camping gear on your back. The scout concept gives you a gun that is ok at everything, instead of a specialty rifle. I've carried a #5 jungle carbine most of my outdoor life, which is very similar to the Ruger scout (power, size, mag capacity, etc). Once you go to a scout the idea of carrying a 12 pound rifle seems crazy.

I was hoping they would make the rifle lighter. That stock is heavier than it needs to be.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    However I do agree with you about choosing a dedicated AR or Bolt gun as a first option since they are so flexible now.

And I do have a dedicated AR already that I sunk a lot of money into so that's taken care of. I bought this just for a fun gun to shoot. I possibly might use it for hog hunting which it will be perfect for. Other than that it will be a range gun for fun. At the end of the day its the fact that if the person who buys it enjoys it, it shouldn't matter to anyone else.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    You are right about it being kinda an odd duck, but it was built to fufill a ideaology. An ideaology that was forumlated and refined before a lot of the guns we use today were produced. The forward mount optic is a comprimise for increased accuracy at range with ability for quick acquisition of a target. The box mag was so that it could be reloaded faster and hold more rounds than a stock bolt gun and would be useful for a military scouting rifle.

It is essentially a gun produced after its time but one that still has a large following.

It has its flaws just like any other rifle, but it also has quite a few benefits that are not very common either.

I personally like the size of the rifle but would prefer a 18 inch barrel and a different action (I have trouble cycling a mauser action very quickly without it binding on me). The forward mount would be handy if i was using a red dot or reflex sight but i would stick to the more common type of scopes that fit over the action for any longer range or precision shots. I love rugers iron sights, but you can't leave the rear sight mounted and use a conventional scope.

:bigok:

That pretty much mirrors what (little) I remember reading about the concept/rifle. Good stuff!

BIG1LOST

Displaced Montanan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Pineville
    It looks like my scout!.........that I built 40 years ago.....but my SMLE .303 has ONE feature I don't think the Ruger has.....the ability for the mag. to be reloaded IN PLACE by use of strpper clips......it is a great idea even in detatch. mag type rifles.I believe that the original scout is what us older guys remember as the .303 jungle carbine!!!!

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I love the idea of the Gunsite Scout, but also feel that the .308 cartridge really needs those extra 2" of barrel length to get the most of it's potential. I built this 18.5" barreled rifle on a 700 action, inletted the stock for the DBM which uses AICS mags, and used a twist and thread combination that will allow for subsonics shot with a suppressor. I placed 2nd in the F-T/R match (600yds) earlier this month shooting this rifle. With a thinner barrel it could come in close to the weight of the Ruger as well.

20120621_175853.jpg

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I do like that rifle Ritten. I wouldn't care about the extra length but I bet its a bit heavy.

Dave, that's a nice scope but not what that rifle was meant for. While I'm curious what kind of accuracy you'll get with a good scope on it, you're giving up the handiness. When I eventually get one of those (or something similar) I plan on either doing a 2x or maybe even a small red dot.

Top Bottom