New Savage MKii Stock Design

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Have you heard of the Mossberg MVP? I read a few reviews on them and none mentioned anything about trouble feeding, so maybe there are some other factors into getting feeding smooth.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2011/10/25/mossberg-mvp/

This review has some good pictures on the bolt they use, I'm not sure if it is entirely necessary but it defiantly does not make anything easier to build.

I'm really interested to see how this turns out as I would like to make a stock for a 308 Savage.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    They have a unique bolt that helps with feeding. In my setup the bolt can only "see" a little bit of the case, and I cant make it "see" any more without getting the magazine in the way.

I received my ATLAS bipod yesterday (4 days after ordering!) And finished up the mounting area on the fore-end for it. I should be done with the fore end tonight and will put up some pictures.

I only have time to do 2 or 3 milling operations a night, so the main stock body will take some time.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Here is what it will look like. The red line indicates what the bolt will see. That is a 300BLK round modeled to SAAMI specs and the mag is as high as I can make it go without modifying the mag a little, which I may do anyway.

This pictures the mag with upward pressure, and gives me a little wiggle room either way...

ARMMagFeeding-1.jpg

But it cant be too high otherwise upward pressure on the mag will cause feep lip / bolt interference.

Last edited:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Ok now I can see how that would cause some uneven forces making it hard to feed.

Your modeling skills are awesome by the way.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    For the record I am the idea guy.... Trent is way better at this than he will ever acknowledge. If we could find some capital we have some pretty neat things in the hopper.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Fore end 50% done. My metal shipment was delayed, so it's been a good refresher to cut this where tolerances are much looser and I can make some mistake. I haven't cut something this precise in a long time.

4868f120.jpg

And atlas bipod integration.

7f30499b.jpg

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Thanks, I get the metal for the main stock body tomorrow. I got my nordic wire sliding stock today. It's actually an awesome stock.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Man that thing is crazy looking, in a good way. Are you going to try to get it anodized? Supposedly it makes a huge difference in the durability of the ar15/m16 receivers but that may just be due to how thin they are.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I may send it off to get type 3 anodized, but it will be $100 probably. Still worth it with all of the time I am putting in. I will still duracoat FDE after that.

My Magpul K grip and trigger guard are here as well as all of the screws I had to order for this stupid thing. I hope it works.

Here is with the scope I am going to use, Nikon 3x32.. and a shorter mag

2-7.jpg

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Not much, I had to order some new tooling. Hopefully I will have a chance to cut the trigger group relief tonight. I started on the magwell, but its a bear, I need a 2.75" Cut Length end mill, which I had to order.

6fe1c0d4.jpg

I also dont have enough space to drill using the chuck to the depth I need.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    A couple more renders doing stock validation

Untitled-6.jpg

Folded.jpg

I also changed the trigger guard to a solid piece instead of using an AR Guard, it gives me more space and is easier to machine.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom