New Scale Recommendation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueLineIPSC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Slidell
    I've been around here and read this forum for a while, but haven't ever posted.

I haven't reloaded in a while and i'm tired of dealing with my old mechanical balance scale. I would like a recommendation for a good digital scale. Thanks a lot!

tangiltows

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Denham Springs, La
    just my $.02, stay with the balance beam scale. it takes no longer to weigh the charges when zeroed compared to a digital. i also believe the beam scales are more precise as you can watch the beam move with single kernels of powder, try that with a digital. if you're into i phones and i pods then the digitals are kinda cool also. i've had both types numerous times and always go back to the beam scales. i have 3 rcbs scales now, all balance beam including the first one i bought over 43 years ago, and all 3 are going strong. my experiences, your mileage may vary. laura&vic

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Welcome to the BS. If the scale is going to be for checking charges, you can look at the digital from Dillon. To be honest, I've used a Dillon balance and RCBS for over 30 years without issues.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    I like the balance beam for my work mostly, the RCBS 5-10 and 10-10 have a great dampening system to help with the bouncing that plaques others. They are great at kernneling or trickling powder charges.

Electronic or digital scales can drift/fluctuate as you use them and need to be re-zeroed often. Some units are better than others, example; steady power supply types. Also know that some only read to even numbered tents of a grain, example; 0.0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8 However these will find an unknown weight faster, like sorting bullets of unknown weights.

Good luck with you choice!

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Used a balance beam for a while and got to where I hated it. The smallest wind drift from the air conditioner would make the thing start bouncing. Checking the weight of bullets or weight sorting brass was an ordeal.

Went with a Dillon electronic scale. Has stayed in calibration. I check it every few months with a set of RCBS check weights. Doesn't drift during use. Quick to display the weight. Increments in .1gr.

Ended up selling off the balance beam and it's the only scale on my bench now. Yes the Dillon is $140 but it's worth it. With electronic scales it's all about the load transducer. Cheap ones drift during use and won't stay in calibration. Buck up and go quality.

Only thing you might change is the powder pan. What comes with the unit works but you'll need a funnel to drop the powder back into the case. I'm using the Lyman Powder Funnel Pan. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/118739/lyman-electronic-scale-powder-funnel-pan

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Been there, done that, wasted a lot of money on digitals .
    Experience is a great teacher...for my money the best scale I ever bought was a RCBS 5-0-5. Wish I had had done this years ago.

Gary

Bayouhunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Opelousas
    Only been reloading for a year now but I love my RCBS 5-0-5. Easy to zero and very precise. When trickling up a charge, it is sensitive enough to register each actual granual of powder. Can't get any better than that in my book.

pwl822

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    boyce
    if your using for progressive press loading stay with your scale , if your throwin alot of singles i got a rcbs charge master , great kit , i also use rcbs 10-10 .

Top Bottom