New to 1911 platform - so, RIA or COLT

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Ok, so I want a 1911 to add to my beginning collection. I am not a handgun or semi-auto newbie, but I've never had a 1911 before. With that being said, would you more seasoned guys recommend a starter pistol of Colt quality (combat commander XSE) or would you go with a RIA Tactical (these are the 2 that I've been taken with so far)? I will be able to get either, just the Colt will take longer to save up for. I doubt I will sell this any time soon to fund another purchase, so the intent will be to keep for a while. Also, don't know that I will be looking to make many upgrades, if any, especially at first.

So, with all that, is the colt worth the extra cash, based on my details above.

Thanks for your opinions and assistance.

BeerManNOLA

Ares

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Scott
    If it where me I would start out with the RIA. They are great start pistols for a low investment. I have had both. I still have the Colt commander now.
    Ares

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Buy the RIA, get a feel for it. It's not like they lose their value, keep it then move on to something nicer, or sell it and move on. I've owned a RIA and Colt, as well as Springfield. RIA is a nice shooter especially considering the cost. The only thing I suggest is get a full size 1911, not a compact.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    I appreciate the input. Honestly I have no need for a commander size as this will not be a carry gun. As this is the case, I will absolutely take a look at the full size.

So, anything I should look out for when going to buy? I've watched several 1911 vids on YouTube so I am familiar with the differences between them and a modern semi-auto.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    As far as value, it's hard to beat the Taurus PT1911.

I normally don't recommend Taurus pistols at all, but dollar for dollar, I believe the PT1911 is the best value in the 1911 market.

All the custom features, and they can usually be purchased for around $600.

pwl822

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    boyce
    full size colt, why because full size is what these gun were made to function correctly, and colt is the orignal. " theirs just something about a COLT"

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I am not a handgun or semi-auto newbie,
    but
    I've never had a 1911 before.

markey_mark_wtf.gif

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    LOL @ Hitman. Now *that's* funny.

I didn't say I was super experienced in the ways of semi autos, just not a total noob.

--------

I guess what this boils down to is, if you have handled pistols before and are reasonably familiar with them, is there any benefit to buying an entry level 1911 versus one that's higher up on the food chain? I don't plan to do a bunch of mods to it - although I suppose that could change after I have it a while - so what would be the driver for entry level versus mid range etc?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    No, not comparing, just wondering if it is worth the extra cash to go with colt as a first 1911 versus the affordable RIA. Just wondering if there is any benefit to going entry level pistol if you are familiar with handling guns already and don't really plan to modify the stock gun.

I may be new to the platform, but I know Colt > RIA (in aggregate).

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    There was a time when Colt meant something. On older 1911's, 1950s-70's, I would take a Colt over any other made. Now, there are MANY guns that are finished WAY better than a Colt for a lot less money.

Go take a good look at a recent manufacture Colt. Pull the slide off. Look at the tool marks left behind. They are a mass produced commodity. Colt's aren't the hand fitted quality they once were.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    As far as value, it's hard to beat the Taurus PT1911.

I normally don't recommend Taurus pistols at all, but dollar for dollar, I believe the PT1911 is the best value in the 1911 market.

All the custom features, and they can usually be purchased for around $600.

I would have to say in the $600 range to go with a STI Spartan

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I would have to say in the $600 range to go with a STI Spartan

I have never shot one but I fondled one at LA gun awhile back and it was a sweet gun.

It uses the RIA frame but from my understanding all the fitting is done stateside, if I was going to buy a budget 1911 that would be the one.

My cousin has a RIA vanilla WW2 model and is now looking to pick up the tactical, he had to use RIA warranty due to an issue with the barrel and parkerizing. He was extremely happy with the way they handled his warranty claim.

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I love how you ask for an opinion between purchasing two guns and about 20% of the comments are valid to the subject. A 9mm Spartan? Pretty sure he wants .45 ACP and his options are Colt and RIA.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Get em both!

If that's not possible, I'd skip the Rock. I'd reconsider the colt too for the reasons posted above. If you're cost conscience, there's many brands with better quality than RIA, and equal to or greater than colt for very reasonable non-colt prices.

I do like the RIA if you really want to learn the parts of the gun. To me, it's just begging to be torn apart, parts polished & replaced etc. I have a much easier time tinkering with a $500 gun versus the risk of jacking up a $1000+ gun that shouldn't need any work anyways.

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I love how you ask for an opinion between purchasing two guns and about 20% of the comments are valid to the subject. A 9mm Spartan? Pretty sure he wants .45 ACP and his options are Colt and RIA.
    STI Spartan's frame, slide, and barrel are RIA. So for the same $ as the RIA, the Spartan offers a better value in my opinion. I have won quite a few matches with my 45acp Spartan and STI will stand behind it 100%

Last edited:
    Top Bottom