New to forum need advice on pistols

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Young_gun7

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Kenner Louisiana
    I'm new to the forum and to shooting and need some advice. I own two guns right now a sa xd9 service and a glock 23 gen 4. I bought the glock for cc because the xd is slightly larger in the grip. I like the glock but don't like the recoil of the .40. Should I get used it and practice or maybe go with a g19 for the range and keep the 23 for cc? Or what about .45s? Guy at the range told me the .40 has more recoil than the .45 glocks. And I have mixed feelings on the xd9. Need advice please! Thanks scott

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Welcome to BS. The .45 in the same type and size pistol using the same type ammunition has less felt recoil than the .40.

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'd go shoot some more; the system you're most comfortable with is the one you'll be best with. pay attention to the weights of the guns vs. Caliber. Never had the pleasure of shooting an xd, but Id imagine its heavier than a glock, reducing perceived recoil.

When gun weights are more or less equal, i find .40 a bit snappier than .45, the .45 being more of a push than a snap. your mileage may vary, everyone is different!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    If your .40 seems like too much I'd get a G19. They are as good as a 500 dollar bill as far as resale and then you'll know for sure. I bet you'll like the 9 better. .45 in a glock is a brick.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sell/trade the G23 for the G19. You will be infinitely happier and better equipped for the task at hand.

Recoil is basically mass x velocity, scientifically speaking. The mumbo jumbo about "muzzle energy" means one thing when it comes to handguns-- and that's recoil. The more you generate at the muzzle, the more your hands are going to feel it.

PERCEIVED (or "felt") recoil is a different matter entirely. Basically speaking, if two loads are making similar muzzle energy, the heavier load at the lower speed will consistently feel the "softest." That's to say that if the bigger part of the recoil equation is velocity, you're going to feel a snap as opposed to a slow push.

.40 gives a snap-and-flip. .45 gives a slow push. 9mm just doesn't generate those levels of muzzle energy/recoil, although projectile weight (and burn rate of the powder, but that's another topic) will show variance there as well.

Summation-- in a package the size of the G23/19, with the nominal weight of a polymer gun, you will shoot the 9mm better and enjoy practicing with it more at the same time. (Cheaper to shoot t'boot.) ESPECIALLY for a new shooter, it's going to be your best bet if you're truly trying to develop the proper fundamentals and skill sets. With modern defensive/duty ammunition (premium JHPs), you're not losing anything in the terminal ballistic department by switching from .40 to 9mm. All positives, no negatives-- no brainer.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Sell/trade the G23 for the G19. You will be infinitely happier and better equipped for the task at hand.

Recoil is basically mass x velocity, scientifically speaking. The mumbo jumbo about "muzzle energy" means one thing when it comes to handguns-- and that's recoil. The more you generate at the muzzle, the more your hands are going to feel it.

PERCEIVED (or "felt") recoil is a different matter entirely. Basically speaking, if two loads are making similar muzzle energy, the heavier load at the lower speed will consistently feel the "softest." That's to say that if the bigger part of the recoil equation is velocity, you're going to feel a snap as opposed to a slow push.

.40 gives a snap-and-flip. .45 gives a slow push. 9mm just doesn't generate those levels of muzzle energy/recoil, although projectile weight (and burn rate of the powder, but that's another topic) will show variance there as well.

Summation-- in a package the size of the G23/19, with the nominal weight of a polymer gun, you will shoot the 9mm better and enjoy practicing with it more at the same time. (Cheaper to shoot t'boot.) ESPECIALLY for a new shooter, it's going to be your best bet if you're truly trying to develop the proper fundamentals and skill sets. With modern defensive/duty ammunition (premium JHPs), you're not losing anything in the terminal ballistic department by switching from .40 to 9mm. All positives, no negatives-- no brainer.

Yeah what he rambled about. Get the G19. It's more fun and a good bit cheaper to shoot. You'll shoot it more, so you'll be better with it, and you will carry more ammunition. Also, sell the xd and buy more ammo to practice with or take a couple classes with the money :thumbsup:

Young_gun7

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Kenner Louisiana
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Its what i was thinking also. Only i just bought the 23 and hate to sell it. Im going to rent a g19 at the range tomorrow and shoot it side by side with the 23. The xd is a whole other gun but i do like the feel of both. Ill update when i go shooting!

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Its what i was thinking also. Only i just bought the 23 and hate to sell it. Im going to rent a g19 at the range tomorrow and shoot it side by side with the 23. The xd is a whole other gun but i do like the feel of both. Ill update when i go shooting!
    Try gen 4 if they have one. I really like them opposed to older ones. But if you try the same modle that you have now I bet you it has everything you like and not the stuff you don't.

aherring1983

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm comfortable with the 40 cal over the 9mm, but I've shot several thousands of rounds easily of 40 cal through glock 22 S&W M&Ps, XDMs and so on, full size and compacts, it ultimately boils down to what you are comfortable shooting and them carrying, if your using for a CCW them you should be comfortable shooting it, put you hands on different guns fire them and find one you like and are comfortable with, That's just my two cents I'm throwing out as someone that's been shooting since I could hold a gun.

Young_gun7

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Kenner Louisiana
    I've heard there are problems with the gen 4s. I guess its been corrected by now. If I do go with a 19 is there a major difference between the gen 3, 4? Can't wait to rent one soon!

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I've heard there are problems with the gen 4s. I guess its been corrected by now. If I do go with a 19 is there a major difference between the gen 3, 4? Can't wait to rent one soon!
    I really prefer the grip on the gen 4. All the ones I've touched have been recent production and have not had any problems. If I were to get a gen 3 would probably want grip reduction which many members here have done and they like thiers. The gen 4 was fine and if I buy another one it will be a gen 4.

Young_gun7

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Kenner Louisiana
    I also like the grip on the gen 4s. That's why I purchased the gen 4 23. I talked to some guys at a local retailer that love the m&p line. They have both the full size and compact models and say they're better than glocks. I don't believe it but might try one next to the glock 19 and 26. I'm selling the xd9 soon!

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I also like the grip on the gen 4s. That's why I purchased the gen 4 23. I talked to some guys at a local retailer that love the m&p line. They have both the full size and compact models and say they're better than glocks. I don't believe it but might try one next to the glock 19 and 26. I'm selling the xd9 soon!

There is no "better", only different. If you take an M&P that works and compare it to a Glock that does not (or vice versa), that's one thing; comparing the two lines is an exercise in futility if you hope to arrive on one that will wear the crown.

The M&P "feels better" in most people's hands, and points naturally for them. That's... Meh. In reality, I'm coming to believe that this comfort level actually serves to mask (and thereby maintain) poor technique.

The M&P has more of a glass break, while the Glock's is more rolling (per the typical striker fired action). Out of the box however, the Glock takes the prize as the M&P trigger sucks. APEX has wonderful drop in kits to address that issue, but it's more cash you may as well count on spending. You can pick up a Glock and roll, or drop in a "-" connector on the cheap (for God's sake, make it factory production) and improve it as much as you'd ever need to for a carry gun. All of that said, the M&P has the capacity to have a vastly superior trigger to a Glock and still maintain a level of "carry reliability".

The Glock has the superior mag release, and is easier to reload. The mags are sturdier, more widely available (as Gen 3's will work in 4's if you don't reverse the mag release), and typically cheaper by a couple of bucks (depending on where you're shopping).

Both guns come with rotten sights.

The Glock is easier to detail strip, work on and replace broken parts. It's also more likely to snap trigger springs, although this may have been remedied in the Gen 4s.

Most people pick up both guns and shoot the M&P better, for a host of reasons. In regards to mechanical accuracy, it's too big of a topic to really delve into here-- but calling them relatively equal would be pretty fair. (They're going to outshoot you, IOW.)

The M&P is prettier to look at. :rofl:

I have put about 45k through a Gen 3 G17 and nearing 60k through a pair of M&P 9 Pros, plus 12k through an M&P 45 FS and 3k through a 9 Shield in the last 18 months. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either brand provided you learn the pistol (especially how to shoot it well)-- but be aware that there's a possibility (that I'd call equal) of getting one from either manufacturer that's a "lemon". Nature of the beast anymore, it seems.

Last edited:

Young_gun7

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Kenner Louisiana
    Just wanted to follow up. I shot the glock 19 next to my 23 at the range and liked it a lot. But now that I am shooting the .40 more I feel better with it. I'm either getting a g19 from my Xd sale or trade and or a barrel for my 23. I like the 45s but don't want to get one yet. Need a 22 next for practice!

Young_gun7

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Kenner Louisiana
    I'm thinking about having both. Might pick up a new 19 at the gun show coming up. The big question for me is 9mm an adequate defense round? I am not trying to open up that debate but wanted to hear from those who carry 9mm ccw. And which ammo is recommended

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I'm thinking about having both. Might pick up a new 19 at the gun show coming up. The big question for me is 9mm an adequate defense round? I am not trying to open up that debate but wanted to hear from those who carry 9mm ccw. And which ammo is recommended

The 9mm pistol is carried by some that are well versed in handguns and ammunition. The124+P Gold Dot, 124+P HST and 124+P Ranger T all have a good track record and can be purchased in 50 round boxes at a reasonable price. Make sure your ammunition of choice works in Your Pistol.

Glocker

Avid Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    West Monroe
    9mm is a more than adequate defense round. All the rounds JBP mentioned are excellent. I carry the 124+P Ranger T in my 9mm's. If I wasn't carrying Ranger I would go with Speer Gold Dot. I would also trade the XD for a Glock 19, but I'm obviously a Glock man so you'll have to choose which platform you like better. I went through a phase where I liked .40 but since then I haven't shot it in 3+ years. Good luck with your choice.

Young_gun7

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Kenner Louisiana
    I like the 40 for what it is. But a glock 19 is def my next handgun. I recently sold the xd so I have the funds to purchase my next gun. Are the 147g ranger sxt similar is performance?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom