New website - help us beta test it please

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • richiespng

Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    We are getting ready to launch our new website. It's not fully functional yet. We are still working on imaging and layout. Let us know what you think. The goods and the bads. And ideas? Anything you would like to see? Thanks guys!

Richies Pawn & Gun

King of D Open
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    What's not going to work in Internet Explorer?

Are you trying to scare users away? While I understand that Firefox and Chrome have certain other functionality, IE is still the most widely used and if it really doesn't support critical pieces of your web site, it might cost you business.

King of D Open
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    Hey guys. Has your attorney vetted this? You might want to do that.

"This page will not operate correctly in Internet Explorer.

Certain elements of the website will not work correctly in this browser. In addition to this, IE is known to put your computer at great security risk.
    If you want to see this website and most others as intended, please use a standards compliant browser, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox."

richiespng

Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    Wow looks great, fully functional on my iPhone for what it's worth. When I have time I'll sit down at the PC and run through it.

Good to hear.

When I was searching under long guns.......I clicked on a name such as Marlin or other......and no guns would actually come up.

ok, tried it again and it was working now.

It was working here. Not sure why it took you two times. We will check on that.

Are you trying to scare users away? While I understand that Firefox and Chrome have certain other functionality, IE is still the most widely used and if it really doesn't support critical pieces of your web site, it might cost you business.

Hey guys. Has your attorney vetted this? You might want to do that.

"This page will not operate correctly in Internet Explorer.

Certain elements of the website will not work correctly in this browser. In addition to this, IE is known to put your computer at great security risk.
    If you want to see this website and most others as intended, please use a standards compliant browser, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox."

We only use Firefox at the shop so we did not test it on IE. We are in contact with the web design company to resolve that problem as we speak. Thanks!

SpeedRacer

Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

Absolutely wrong. IE is down to 27.5% and steadily declining.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

That said, you should have the site functional for all browsers, even though 75% of people are smart, 1 out of 4 people visiting the site will still potentially be using IE.

Xenon

Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    I clicked around looking at steel shot loads for a shotgun. The site responds very slowly, if at all.

I would like to see some type of further filtering, i.e. once I clicked on steel, I couldn't further refine by shell length, price, name brand, etc. Which would be a nice feature when there are 19 pages of products and a slow site...

ETA: I see I can filter once by these items, but not together

Last edited:

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    No worky for me on FireFox on Mac.

Screenshot2011-01-12at121023PM.png

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hmm, only gripe I have so far. When you are browsing products, unless you recognize the item completely, then it is sort of hard to tell what it is before clicking on it. Maybe add a little bit of the description, or modifying them some so what is shown is a bit more specific, such as brand/model/caliber

King of D Open
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    Absolutely wrong. IE is down to 27.5% and steadily declining.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

That said, you should have the site functional for all browsers, even though 75% of people are smart, 1 out of 4 people visiting the site will still potentially be using IE.

That said, you should have the site functional for all browsers, even though 75% of people are smart, 1 out of 4 people visiting the site will still potentially be using IE.[/quote]

Also in steady decline is the % of people who have been evicted by coons :rofl:

According to PCMAG.COM, in November 2010 the market shares were IE - 59.26%, Firefox - 22.82, Chrome - 8.47, Safari - 5.33 and Opera - 2.28. I believe that they cite better information sources then your reference which doesn't refer to any basis in fact.

I also don't think that Micro$oft would respond well to the verbiage of the message. And, as a vendor (Richie's) you don't try to disparage potential customers or have a web site that won't work for a majority of users. As a developer, it is unconcionable that you would design a product for a client that does these things.

honestlou

Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge

Also in steady decline is the % of people who have been evicted by coons :rofl:

According to PCMAG.COM, in November 2010 the market shares were IE - 59.26%, Firefox - 22.82, Chrome - 8.47, Safari - 5.33 and Opera - 2.28. I believe that they cite better information sources then your reference which doesn't refer to any basis in fact.

I also don't think that Micro$oft would respond well to the verbiage of the message. And, as a vendor (Richie's) you don't try to disparage potential customers or have a web site that won't work for a majority of users. As a developer, it is unconcionable that you would design a product for a client that does these things.

Yeah.

richiespng

Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    site should be functional in all browers as of now, if not will be before full launch. We dont use IE in the shop, so were not aware of the issue until you guys pointed it out. Thanks

dtd80

Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Well, first off, the site is a MAJOR upgrade! Love the layout thus far.

Positives - Organization, images for items, prices

Negatives - Can't return to main menu by clicking main Category, Manufacturers aren't alphabetized, Menu is rather large, seems that the box(large main box on right) is cut off slightly at the bottom, Menus that pop up when you filter your results become a LONG menu(I think a scrolling menu could work well here to keep everything on one page)

Ideas - Maybe have a menu pop up on the left of your items(in main box) and when you scroll over a item, the image could pop up(to the right). If you click on the item, a larger image w/description could come up.

That's my take so far. I'll navigate it some more and post up if anything comes to mind.

SpeedRacer

Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Got a chance to give it a gander here at home. Overall it's very slick and laid out well. Alot of these things have already been addressed by others, but here's my .02:

• Item preview/thumbnails need more or different description. Ex: Clicking on Glock brings up a bunch of tiny pictures with the only description being capacity. If I was looking for a G19 for example, I'd have no way of knowing which it is without clicking on several.
    • Sub-filtering would be nice. Ex: Clicking on Glock brings up all Glocks I have to wade through, should be able to filter again by caliber, size etc.
    • Maybe it's just a beta pre-launch thing, but the "Price is less than/click here to see price" thing drives me nuts on other sites. If it's a lower than MAP deal, then I guess there's nothing you can do about it.
    • Several times clicking on a subcategory (ie; Glock) would bring up a blank page. A refresh would bring up the desired content. Happened in Firefox and IE.
    • The overall design is very professional, but I think it needs a REAL logo to set it apart as opposed to the standard issue text based logo.
    • I would also recommend focusing more on the RICHIE'S part and less on the Pawn and Gun. I know that's what your shop is, but on the internet you are whatever you present yourself as. You don't have to just be a pawn shop on the internet, you can be Richie's mega ultra e-commerce giant. Other than a small address at the bottom, nothing else on the site has anything to do with the brick and mortar location or pawning, so there's no point in limiting yourself in that aspect.

Sorry if that sounds blunt or preachy, I was just trying to be brief. And for the record, I have many years in graphic/web design/marketing, but that said it's still just 100% my humble opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Guel24
    Top Bottom