Newbie question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Evening people,

I'm brand new to the forum (just joined 15 minutes ago, haha) and I have pretty limited experience with guns, but I think they're very interesting (the last time I shot my shotgun was approximately 6 years ago, but that's another story), and I'm just looking for some advice.

All the crime where I live now has kind of scared me into considering concealed carrying in the future (I'm 20). I've run into a bit of problem and I just want to know what more experienced gun owners think about this: I'm left handed and left eye dominant (I know, I know, another one of these questions) but I was taught to shoot my shotgun right handed for whatever reason... I handled my friend's PPQ recently and noticed that it felt way more comfortable to hold it left handed, as expected. Basically, was the person who taught me how to shoot in the wrong when they made me shoot right handed, and if so, should I learn how to shoot left handed and never go back?

Thank you kindly,
    Sam

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Welcome to the forum!

I'd suggest getting your CHP as soon as you turn 21. I bought my pistol before getting my CHP, but that's just me. What part of NOLA are you from?

Did the person that taught you that know you are left handed? Shoot the way it feels right to you

+1

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Did the person that taught you that know you are left handed? Shoot the way it feels right to you
    Honestly, I have no idea. I was around 10 or 11 when he taught me, so I don't really remember if he knew or not. If I was betting man, I'd say that he didn't. I do remember that he taught me with a right handed, semi-auto youth model Remington 20 gauge, interestingly enough. I still have the shotgun that my dad bought for me a few months after that: youth model Browning BPS I think. Anyway, by now, it feels right to shoot right handed, but I've never tried shooting left handed...

Welcome to the forum!

I'd suggest getting your CHP as soon as you turn 21. I bought my pistol before getting my CHP, but that's just me. What part of NOLA are you from?
    I'm originally from Uptown, but I now live in Baltimore for school. It sucks hearing that people you know got jumped by literally 10 teenagers the night before, and then realizing that concealed carrying is all but illegal unless (not kidding on this one) you're a doctor, lawyer, politician, or celebrity. One of my friends just bought an extendable baton because it's not strictly considered a weapon or something... Really makes me not want to go outside after 7pm for fear of being robbed, or worse. Just the other day, a guy got stabbed in the neck on the bus (right in front of the school actually) and died. Sometimes I can't believe I actually live here.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Welcome aboard. If you are left hand and left eye dominant when shooting a pistol using both hands press the trigger with the index finger of your left hand. You also need to learn to shoot dominant hand only and non dominant hand only.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Sorry to hear about living in MD. My suggestion is to find a local range (indoor) that rents pistols and try to shoot a few different pistols both left and right handed to find your natural shooting position. If right handed works well shoot that way, and then start looking for a gun. I would suggest working with a .22 to establish your preference.
    Revolvers are a good carry gun and fairly ambidextrous, do not discount them. Left hand/left eye should be a good position to shoot from unless you have learned right hand dominance, you have to figure out what works for you thru practice.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    IMO, forget the revolver and get a semiauto; higher round capacity. Glock 19 would be my first choice if I had to pick one (or another reliable brand of your choice) For what you want it for, self defense, 15 rounds with a 17 round extra magazine will benefit you more when you need to inject lead into some assholes chest. 9mm minimum for carry. Learn to shoot strong side AND support hand. Just my opinion.

bushhog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2014
    Bogalusa, LA
    My recommendation is to learn to shoot with your dominant eye. Left eye dominant shoot left handed, it just takes practice and well worth the effort in the long run.

WolfBrother

I am a Sheep Dog
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Welcome aboard. If you are left hand and left eye dominant when shooting a pistol using both hands press the trigger with the index finger of your left hand. You also need to learn to shoot dominant hand only and non dominant hand only.

Read and heed. Everything in the quote is accurate. When I went thru LE training, we were trained to shoot both hand - dominate hand trigger, both hand - non-dominate hand trigger, dominate hand only, and non-dominant hand only with and without barricades. Some barricades required shooting from the left, some required from the right.

You need to find an instructor who will work with you and help you learn those ways.

Until then, maybe a spritz bottle filled with non-sudsy ammonia. I've found it very difficult to see or breath when large amounts of ammonia were present

Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    Welcome to the forum!
    I shoot long guns left handed, and hand guns either handed although my preference with them is right handed.
    I'm very fortunate in that I can actually make either eye the dominate one. Don't know why, but it's always been that way for me.
    But I've never felt comfortable shooting a long gun right handed. But I've always shot right hand guns, and when I was finally in
    a position to buy a left hand gun, I did, and found I didn't like it. Felt all wrong after years of right handed guns.
    Long ramble to get where I was going, sorry.
    If you are left hand and left eye dominate then you really ought to try shooting left handed. My guess is very soon you'll be shooting
    better than you ever have before.

Top Bottom