Newish project g34 with optic

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Well, I finally put this thing back together again, did a few upgrades, and this morning I bought my first pistol optic: a Leupold Deltapoint. The great (and damn expensive) experiment begins!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371930226.986279.jpg

It came with an attachment kit that slides into the rear sight dovetail and attaches to the optic itself. Personally, I don't trust that setup at all and will have the slide milled (and BIS installed) ASAP. Current mounting it just to play with it and review it.

The recticle itself is a 3.5MOA dot, instead of the 7.5MOA delta. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

Looking through an optic is going to take some getting used to, but I can already see the advantages.

So why did I buy one for a carry gun? The fact that they're cool and different would have been a great reason, if it wasn't so damn expensive. Since it was $499 (not the best deal I saw by far, but they had it in stock and I was impatient), I really thought about Why, these were my answers:

1- precision. I wanted to be more precise with my shooting than I felt irons would allow at my current skill level. I think we can all agree that irons are very precise, but it's easier to be precise with an optic! I expect my groups @25m to shrink.

2- focusing on target instead of sights. I like how the optic allows me to look through the glass and superimpose my dot over it, almost effortlessly. No front sight focus (we'll see how this plays out on the range, and if its really true, but I'm 99% sure it is)

3- moving targets. I read a Lot about pistol RDS's, even though I've never really used one, and most of the research I've done suggests engaging movers with an optic is not even comparable to irons. If true, I'll be very happy about this.

Speed- I think multiple shots are going to be at least marginally faster, even if the original presentation is a bit slower. I'm willing to spend the money to find out. More speed at increased range is a given.

What I did Not consider in my decision:

1-cost of retraining. It's going to be a difficult process I think. Training myself to pick up the dot instead of the front sight will take awhile, and lots of ammo.

2-holster availability. I just don't see the issue. I will be modifying the one holster I have that wont fit the sight.

3-"reliability". In the sense that all optics are not as robust as irons. Well, I'm going to have both, so I don't think this is an issue.

I will zero tomorrow during my lunch break, and will give the first range report.

Plans for future:
    Milled slide for better mount.
    BIS

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Pretty sweet looking setup you got there. I'm eager to see how my 34 runs tomorrow with new 11lb recoil spring in Amite.

I expect it to work with a new spring and have issues with going fully into battery as the 11# spring weakens with use. You are already running a 4# firing pin spring correct?

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Since we're talking a bit about springs and such, I think I will go into a little more detail on my build and the reasons behind it.

Specific upgrades:
    frame stippling (my own, cheap and it works, but it's not as pretty)
    Extended beavertail (like $16 ordered from Glock)
    Vanek Custom Trigger (Just the trigger bar / safety plunger / connector / firing pin)
    Overtravel stop / pre travel stop trigger housing
    polished misc internals

I changed NO spring weights at all. This is a carry gun, and I did not want to run the risk of any light strikes on factory ammo. I decided a clean, crisp break was much more important to me than a lighter trigger, and now it pulls around 4#, but very little take up and a small but tactile reset. In my opinion, it's as close to the perfect trigger as I can get it.

The recoil spring is the factory weight, and I might try to re-spring it a little lighter, I'm a bit undecided yet.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If the goal isn't lowering the pull weight, why the replacement striker? And I'd rethink using anything adjustable in a duty/carry gun.

The Zev Duty and Tactical Duty (non-adjustable) fulcrum triggers accomplish the same thing and the only non-OEM part is the trigger itself. Less parts and no screws = mo betta.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    If the goal isn't lowering the pull weight, why the replacement striker? And I'd rethink using anything adjustable in a duty/carry gun.

The Zev Duty and Tactical Duty (non-adjustable) fulcrum triggers accomplish the same thing and the only non-OEM part is the trigger itself. Less parts and no screws = mo betta.

It's just a polished firing pin, not skeletonized or anything.

As for the set screws in the trigger housing: after 100,000 rounds, they haven't walked on me yet, I'm not worried about them. This frame has seen some Serious use over 2 calibers and 3 uppers. The Vanek is a Great trigger and I like it.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I personally set all my Gen 3 Glocks up with a - connector and a NY1 (olive) trigger spring. No spongy take up and stack, just smooth (albeit heavier) pull to crisp break with no stack.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I can't wait till the slides ship either. I'm probably gonna buy one at Interstate. It's the only way I'll ever see one.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    You did shitty research then. L&M has a guaranteed turn around time. They are contractual obligated to get the slides out within a window and so far with the hundreds of installations done there hasn't been a single complaint about turn around times. The slides we are talking about are After Market Slides.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    You did shitty research then. L&M has a guaranteed turn around time. They are contractual obligated to get the slides out within a window and so far with the hundreds of installations done there hasn't been a single complaint about turn around times. The slides we are talking about are After Market Slides.

Well, I don't want to start an issue, especially not in my glock's thread. I talked to Mark until he stopped returning my emails (granted I was pressing him on price, but he could have just said no and I'd have sent him my slide anyway) but he stopped. So, that's a negative on customer service. If I'm going to drop $815 on a sight/milling, I expect better. I certainly do better for My customers.

Added to the fact that the slides SO ordered are late... I'm not sure I'm want to do business with that shop. I've seen Multiple threads on boards that say they do good work (in fact I remember one that said L&M did the Best work), but they sure don't look like it from my position.

ETA: I hadn't intended to trash anyone on the Internet, and I'm not looking to start a flame war over it, but if I'm not convinced I'm being well taken care of, I'm just not going to spend my money there until I get convinced.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    He stopped responding to you because you were pressing him for a discount on a "promotional item" he is already doing the work cheaper than anyone else. I'd be happy to post the emails if you would like. Mark gets about 40 emails a day from people pandering for a discount. Ih he doesn't want to discount you its his right.

The after market slides are coming from another source totally un-affiliated with L&M. If L&M was doing them we would probably have had them months ago. Your assuming and making an Ass out of yourself. As stated earlier when we licensed Mark Housel to modify slides for ATOM part of what we insisted on was a mandated turn around time. He hasn't disappointed yet...anyone. He has done a couple hundred. You would get your slide back in the allotted time. I'd be willing to bet on it. In fact if Mark misses the lead time I will pay for your slide.

On the subject of Customer Service; your casting dispersions on a company that has a stellar CS track record. The comical part is your not even a customer! Your a guy who got his feelings hurt because you didn't get the discount you felt entitled to. That's some sort of bush league E-Extortion and frankly your better than that. If Mark had agreed to cut his price my bet is you never bring it up.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    VG, we need to take this private, I voiced a Legit Concern about that shop Ignoring me. Of course I pressed him for a price, I said I did in the beginning. There's a big difference between "No" and not answering at all. I would have bought the damn thing if he had just answered me. But he didn't, and until he does I'm not writing him a check. That's simple stuff.

As for the other slides, I did assume, and obviously I was wrong. I won't modify the above post, because then my admission and Public Apology wouldn't make any sense. I'm happy I was wrong about that. So, sorry about that, I made a bad assumption.

Don't you dare post to a public forum a confidential email between 2 businesses that never even crossed your inbox without my permission first.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    It's just a polished firing pin, not skeletonized or anything.

As for the set screws in the trigger housing: after 100,000 rounds, they haven't walked on me yet, I'm not worried about them. This frame has seen some Serious use over 2 calibers and 3 uppers. The Vanek is a Great trigger and I like it.

How long have you had that trigger?

Top Bottom