Newish truck, can't make up my mind

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    So guys, I am in the market for a newish truck. Been looking around and I found some pretty decent deals in the area where I live. Only problem is, I can't make up my mind which I want to go with. So I guess I'll listen to some off you guys and see if yall have any insight. Here are some of the ones I am looking at right now:

2008 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
    4dr, red, and it has 58k miles
    Sticker $21.5k

2010 Silverado 1500
    4dr, black, 4.8 v8, and it has 21k miles
    Sticker $21k

2005 Ford F150
    4dr, blue, 5.4 v8, and it has 68k miles
    Sticker $18.5

Now obviously I won't be paying sticker, I will definitely be working these guys for a deal, but I am having trouble deciding which one is going to be the better deal. I really like the Tacomas, and they get better gas mileage then the rest, but it's got some miles on it for the price. I also really like the silverado, the mileage is low, but I am pretty sure it was a rental truck, which means it might have been beat on. Plus I'm not too big a fan of the 4.8, I would prefer the 5.3 motor. I would also have to add a trailer hitch. At the same time though, it's got the remainder of the warranty left, which is awesome. As for the f150, I'm not a big Ford fan, but the F150 is cheaper, and has got the upper hand on all of them in terms of power. But it has no warranty, it's older, and has the most miles out of all of them.

So guys, what would yall go with? Any reccomendations, horror stories, or any experience with these vehicles?

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Beware of the PreRunner. Unless things were changed by Toyota, the tires were too big for the rear end ratio, and lugged the vehicle, resulting in poor fuel economy compared to the stock model.

msuitepyon

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    From what I've heard, the 4.8 in the GMs are preferable to the 5.3. Something to do with the electrical system. May be complete heresay, but the guy I heard it from has been in the car business for 30+ years, so I trust his opinion (now if you trust me is completely different :D).

If the guy didn't drive the **** out of it and everything is in relatively decent shape, I'd venture for the 2010 Chevy, regardless.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I sold cars for 3 years for a chevy dealer ... and 21k sounds really ... really overpriced... you can almost get a brand new one for that price with rebates.... if I were you I would wait until December if possible thats when the rebates start getting big 5k range for a fully loaded silverado... they try to push out the old stock and get ready for the 2011 new models...

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    important to do your math also...bring a calculator ( seriously ) get monthly payments and then add them up over the months you are paying... make sure it comes out to what they say they are charging you for the overall price they try to screw you every which way... and all the warranties are negotiable also...

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Definitely the Chevy given those choices. 2-5 years newer than the other 2, 1/3 of the miles, 100k drivetrain warranty.

If you are worried about it being abused, take the VIN to the dealer and see if any warranty work has been done to it. Also, you can pay to have them pull all of the codes and see if anything pops up.

Are you financing or paying cash? Depending on what interest rate you get on the used ones, you may be better off going with something new and seeing if you can get 0% somewhere, might pay off in the long run.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Before I speak know that I believe you can buy any model car brand new and throw a rod the next day.
    Out of the trucks I have owned the first was a single cab Chevy 1500 bought with 30,000 Miles. That truck ran like a champ and I vever had one problem. Mileage was at 140,000 when I was done with it.
    Traded that in for a 2008 tacoma 4x4 6speed. I hated that truck. Nothing broke on it, I just hated it. Handeled poorly, and had no accelearation.
    I traded that in on a 2010 5.7Liter Tundra 4x4. Before I ever got my license plate in it had 2 engine surgerys. Recently I felt the transmission start to slip from time to time. This is at 15,000 miles.
    So, you never know. My chevy did the best.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    I looked at getting a new 2010 silverado extended cab with the $5k rebate, and it would have still been around $23.5k sticker. I may look at a few more places, but the dealerships up here are running out of the 2010's pretty fast and I can't really find what I want.

Dock Rocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Jackson, MS
    From what I've heard, the 4.8 in the GMs are preferable to the 5.3. Something to do with the electrical system. May be complete heresay, but the guy I heard it from has been in the car business for 30+ years, so I trust his opinion (now if you trust me is completely different :D).

That is completely heresay. The wiring of a 4.8 and the 5.3 is identical. the only difference in the 6.0 is the transmission harness. I have swapped 5.3's and 6.0's in place of 4.8's. The block is identical between the three engines. All of the accessories are the same as is the wiring.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Find a 2006 or later Nissan Frontier (new Body-style) and don't look back I got 120k miles so far on an 06 w/o any issues.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Find a 2006 or later Nissan Frontier (new Body-style) and don't look back I got 120k miles so far on an 06 w/o any issues.

There was an '07 with I think around 60k miles on it for $19k sticker price. I took a quick look at it, but didn't spend too much time due to no warranty on it. Plus, I have always liked the tacomas more when it comes down to the mid size trucks.

Have you done any towing with it? How does it handle on interstate while towing a trailer/boat if you know?

Whatever I do get needs to be capable of towing long distances, sometimes 600+miles, usually not that far, but it will happen. I won't be towing anything too often, but it will happen often enough to where I want to be comfortable doing it.

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    And no Lie dude, Just got my wife her 2010 f150. has the 4.6 3v. extended cab short bed. Went for 25K after haggling a lot and 3 walk outs. Handles 5000 pds all day long and pretty decent gas milage.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    I have an 07 F150 Lariat 4 door. LOVE IT. Great power, smooth ride. would buy again in a heartbeat. Triton engine gets combined 17/18 mpg, more on highway driving.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    There was an '07 with I think around 60k miles on it for $19k sticker price. I took a quick look at it, but didn't spend too much time due to no warranty on it. Plus, I have always liked the tacomas more when it comes down to the mid size trucks.

Have you done any towing with it? How does it handle on interstate while towing a trailer/boat if you know?

Whatever I do get needs to be capable of towing long distances, sometimes 600+miles, usually not that far, but it will happen. I won't be towing anything too often, but it will happen often enough to where I want to be comfortable doing it.

I Tow a lot! It's rated for 6500 lbs. I've pulled 24 champions and my own 20' Wellcraft all over hell and creation. Have to turn off the overdrive which hurts gas mileage see 15 mpg, however the V-6 feels like a V-8 and gets 20-21 mpg with out a Boat behind it. I really contemplated the Tacoma when I bought the Frontier. I drove both and the Frontier drove so much better it wasn't even a fair comparision. The Frontier felt like a sportscar, the Tacoma felt like My moms old 1980 Delta 88. If its not too heavy you can still leave the overdrive on and get much better mileage. I have put this truck thru HELL and it is still one of the best driving trucks I've ever had.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom