NFA question advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lineofdeparture

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    New Roads
    Guys i want to create a Sbr 300 blkout to run with my suppressors... im fairly familiar with what needs to happen, but the question i have is if i build the SBR before the tax stamp is received, would it be legal if i just put a pistol stock on it at that point?.... I know i have to wait to actually build the sbr once tax stamp is in my hand but im not sure if one can just make it a "pistol" in the meantime.....

lineofdeparture

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    New Roads
    Well it's a regular ar that I build, I just want to modify it to a 7,5 barrell pistol while form 1 is pending....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    DON'T put that short barrel on your gun until you get the stamp!

In the eyes of the feds, once a rifle ALWAYS a rifle! Like slogoat said, if you start with a stripped receiver that had never been built as a rifle (i.e. listed as "other" on the 4473), then you could do a pistol build & later add the stock.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Ok got it..... I'll just go buy me another lower as pistol then form 1 it, once received I'll assemble it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stripped receivers are no longer registered as pistol or rifle, simply "receiver" or "other". You can build it into either a pistol or rifle, but as mentioned you cannot turn a built rifle into a pistol, plus having a pistol and the parts to convert it to a buttstock laying around is a bad idea due to "constructive intent". You're definitely making the right choice buying another lower. Keep the rifle as is, and build the new lower out as a pistol while waiting for the stamp, then just slap a buttstock on it when the time comes.

bcamp15

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I built my first sbr as a pistol first, while I was waiting on the stamp to come back. This way you can shoot it and fine tune it if necessary. Then when you get the stamp, throw a stock on it.

Top Bottom