NFA rules X-Products soda launcher now NFA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G_S

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Shreveport

Can_Cannon_Right_Hand_View_with_Logo.jpg

http://www.xproducts.com/ar-15-soda-can-launcher-accessories-launcher

http://www.recoilweb.com/breaking-can-cannon-declared-nfa-weapon-by-batf-73113.html

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Annnnndddddd this is how it all starts...

The gubment gon' take yo guns!

I'm curious how many of those can cannons actually sold.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    Correct me, if i"m wrong. if the launcher, was manufactured, similar to a 37mm launcher cobray or spikes, and not mounted to "firearm", it would then be legal?

In the video the guy shakes the can, launches it, and it burst in the air. Was that coca cola, or an explosive?

If one can launch flares, shoot exploding targets, and light fireworks, why the ban on a soda can? were there any crimes committed with them?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Correct me, if i"m wrong. if the launcher, was manufactured, similar to a 37mm launcher cobray or spikes, and not mounted to "firearm", it would then be legal?

In the video the guy shakes the can, launches it, and it burst in the air. Was that coca cola, or an explosive?

If one can launch flares, shoot exploding targets, and light fireworks, why the ban on a soda can? were there any crimes committed with them?

They are calling the primer an explosive and the soda can a projectile.

So they classify it as a firearm.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA

The shaking of the can was irrelevant to it launching.
    It launches by firing a 5.56 blank.
    The can exploded because they shot it with a shotgun.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    They are calling the primer an explosive and the soda can a projectile.

So they classify it as a firearm.

Yeah, if it's using some sort of burned propellant, it's probably a firearm.

Seems like it wouldn't have a sporting purpose either given that a coke can is bigger than .50 :D

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Yeah, if it's using some sort of burned propellant, it's probably a firearm.

Seems like it wouldn't have a sporting purpose either given that a coke can is bigger than .50 :D

That's more or less what I was thinking when I first saw it a few months ago.

1) It uses a 5.56 blank (technically an explosive)
    2) It's larger than .50 cal, so it doesn't meet the sporting purpose mumbo jumbo
    3) It's shorter than 16"/18"
    4) They can probably say that it can be readily configurable into a firearm or AOW/SBR/SBS/Whatever, because it's not permanently affixed and a single unit.

Supposedly they are fixing the design, I'm assuming to make sure it only fires blanks and not actual ammunition.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Well, I guess when i fire mine it has to live on one of my SBR lowers... how fun...

You might wait on that. I think that the implication of the determination letter is that attaching it to an AR-15 lower receiver creates an SBS. If your lower is registered as an SBR, you may be out of luck, or file a new Form 1, with another $200. See page 3, paragraph 4.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The difference is that the golf ball launchers are muzzle devices that attach to the end of a barrel.

Bingo!

X Products has already said they are working on a fix. I can only imagine it being a longer can cannon with a similar muzzle device to the golf ball launcher.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    You might wait on that. I think that the implication of the determination letter is that attaching it to an AR-15 lower receiver creates an SBS. If your lower is registered as an SBR, you may be out of luck, or file a new Form 1, with another $200. See page 3, paragraph 4.

But the letter from x products says SBR....

Anywho xproducts didnt even send me a letter... how fun. Maybe mine doesnt even exist...

In any regard, I also actually have an AR based SBS which this can go onto, so perhaps i'm okay.

I do find it a bit ridiculous that X products opted to send a sample for a ruling WELL AFTER they proceeded to sell the device. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom