NFA with LLC???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdb3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Franklinton, La.
    Looking at setting up an LLC strictly for NFA items. Other than the initial fee and yearly renewal fee ($25.00 year?). Are there any other problems?

Any tax problems involved in this? The LLC would be for NFA items only and no profit would be made.

Any advice from LLC guys would be appreciated.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    What does that entail? Just renewing every year? Thanks.

$25 per year (In this state... if you ever move... it gets complicated) Every year...

For the rest of your life.

A trust operates the same way except it is a one time expense (Less than $150)
    ...and that's it.

Oh, if you move it DOES cost... one time $10 notery fee.

Do the trust.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    $25 per year (In this state... if you ever move... it gets complicated) Every year...

For the rest of your life.

A trust operates the same way except it is a one time expense (Less than $150)
    ...and that's it.

Oh, if you move it DOES cost... one time $10 notery fee.

Do the trust.

Is their any benefit to putting your non-NFA firearms into the trust for death beneficiary issues and such?

Don't both the trust and LLC require the "listing " of all firearms included by serial?

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Is their any benefit to putting your non-NFA firearms into the trust for death beneficiary issues and such?

Don't both the trust and LLC require the "listing " of all firearms included by serial?

I wouldn't put non NFA guns on it, but if you put your kids on the trust, when you died you would simply be removed from the trust and they would remain, no transfer exists.

Some people in 'Canadia' did it this way, and their kids get to play with FA while it's illegal for everyone else. (Way they wrote the law, you could keep whatcha got, but not transfer it... even upon death IIRC)

...Might come in handy w/ class 3.

Oh, one thing about the trust... it's a Pvt document, so so long as you avoided it showing up in court... other than a notery looking at it (And they arn't gonna care or copy).... it's yours, and in your control... (If you were gonna use Non NFA guns...)

jdb3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Franklinton, La.
    I've read countless threads (here and other boards) about using a trust. The problem is getting a straight answer. Seems many attorneys (that I've spoken with) don't know much about trusts. I don't want the BATF boys to say my trust is good one day and invalid the next.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I've read countless threads (here and other boards) about using a trust. The problem is getting a straight answer. Seems many attorneys (that I've spoken with) don't know much about trusts. I don't want the BATF boys to say my trust is good one day and invalid the next.

Small arms review had an article by a lawyer who set up trusts for NFA items several years ago.

That and my trust is where I get my info.

Yes, we have lawyers here who will do it. Hense the $150 number.

jdb3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Franklinton, La.
    Nomad, I'd go the trust route if I knew the trust was good. Did you use a lawyer? Anyone here use Morgan Allison?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want this to be done correctly and with little hassle.

Top Bottom