Nickle Cases less durable

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4thMiss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Port Allen, La.
    After 30 years reloading its obvious to me nickel cases are less durable than brass. I assume the brass is thinner so it can be nickled. The case necks usually split after just a few reloads. Even with light 38 target loads. That being the case why do manufacturers use nickel cased ammo for personal defense rounds almost across the board. I think originally nickled cases came into being for the corrosion resistance for ammo carried in belt loops to stay clean and shinny looking. I wonder if its used now to signify Defense Round.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I still use nickel brass that is old. so old the plating is wearing off
    The new plated stuff is no way no how good.
    The new stuff just splits, it does not get pated with the same stuff they use years ago.
    I have a friend who is in the plating Biz and used to polish stuff that gets plated

Craig

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 23, 2007
    Denham Springs
    I seem to remember the manufacturers saying the nickel makes the cases slicker. Making them less prone to feeding failures. Why have them on revolver ammo, I don't know.

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    Don't know why you'd say they're not as good. I use the same .357 nickle cases I bought 25 years ago. Yeah, a few are starting to split now, but I cannot tell you how many times they've been reloaded. I'll get more someday, if they ever become available again.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Don't know why you'd say they're not as good. I use the same .357 nickle cases I bought 25 years ago. Yeah, a few are starting to split now, but I cannot tell you how many times they've been reloaded. I'll get more someday, if they ever become available again.

Thanks to the EPA the Plating process i does not use the same chemicals they used to

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Thanks to the EPA the Plating process i does not use the same chemicals they used to

I still use the same batch of once fired nickeled brass I bought years ago. I bought them to shave 9mm down to 9mm Makarov and be a little easier to ID at the range. I'd have to say that each case is easily on it's 9th or 10th loading with not one problem. If anything the biggest problem is finding the brass after it gets launched.

Bayou52

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Slidell, La

I, too, use them until they split. For me, that's usually one or more decades for pistol cases. So, I have no issues with nickel cases. I even have a few in 30-06....

Top Bottom