NICS problem is agravating me

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • columbo

La CHP Instructor #468
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Alexandria
    Okay guys, I went to get another pistol Thursday and it seems that every time I get ran through NICS, I get delayed. I get the gun in a coupla days but this is starting to **** me off. I am not a felon and haven't been arrested in a long time. Then it was only disorderly conduct. I'm an ex -cop and a firearms instructor. Does anyone know the procedure on checking this crap out? Does Louisiana NICS go straight to federal govt or does the locals do it for them? The burr under my saddle is gettin' infected..... My wife can go in and take the gun out... no problem... Shezzzzzz!

columbo

La CHP Instructor #468
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Alexandria
    I have applied to several police depts for a job and one friend stated that that may be the problem. Something about "continued police contact"... relating to the times they ran my criminal history for the applications. Sounds light but you can never tell with those guys.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I have a friend that’s an FBI agent; he said that if your fingerprints are on file it can delay approval until they find out why. I had a Top Secret security clearance in the military, have a C&R FFL, and own a class III firearm so they have a few sets of my prints. Every time I purchase a firearm it gets put on hold until the first reviewer can pass it up to somebody smart enough to figure out why my prints are on file. Usually takes a few minutes but sometimes it will go delayed.

At a gun show I saw my FBI friend, with his FBI credentials in hand, go delayed on a pistol purchase. Kind of hard not to bust out laughing.

Doug

ltranger14

Spooky 8
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Prairieville
    When the police run your background for employment it is done under employment (if done correctly) and does not affect the "status" of anactual criminal background investigation.
    I currnetly have a TS with the Army and another Gov agency and it has never YET delayed the purchase of a handgun for me.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I have been delayed once. About 3 minutes later they called back approved.

I guess it pays to have an uncommon last name.

JR1572

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    I never had a problem until they started using SS number. All I can figure is a bad guy with a close number. I always get approved after the ball gets handed off to the 2nd person on the line.

maysen

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Luling, LA
    from what i here, NICS suffered budget cuts, shortly after that anti gun a**hole(can't remember his name) was put in charge of the BATFE... now most places like "Academy" have to do it on the computer.. i got delayed for a mossberg 500, never even got to my paperwork and went past the 30 days, that was about 3 months ago, i still haven't gone back. my wife purchased a rifle for me at another academy, DELAYED, for 18 days.. again on the computer, but back in december last year, before the computers, i went into academy and walked out with my weapon. and at the gun show in kenner my wife bought a gun and walked out with it! hence the budget cuts in payroll for NICS, the computer kicks you back if you have prints on file or even if you have the same name as a criminal on record, until a human can look at it, if there is enough staff to even do that!
    again that's what i heard, but doing business on sites like these and gunshows and local dealers who phone it in. No problems!

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    For along time when my security clearence was real high I had the same problem. I finnaly linked it to the clearence becuase once it came down some I was able to walk out again. If you have to have one for work that may be the cause. Kinda silly (Your security clearence is too high so you have to wait) lol

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    From what I have heard it takes about 6 months, and during that 6 months if you try to buy a gun it will come back denied rather than delay since the UPIN is pending.

The above is correct,,,,,I was getting delays, so I applied for the UPIN,,,,and once I did that I was denied. So,,,do all your shopping before you apply. By the way,,,after waiting 6 months,,,,I received the stupidest letter from the I have ever seen. It was so contradictory,,,,and went on to say that although the issues with me have been resolved, I will continue to be delayed until all matters were resolved. I do not have the letter with me right now,,,but when I get home I will try to find it and post it. It was a fricking joke.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom