Night Blindness Rectifying Glasses; anything proven?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    A friend of mine has asked me to see if the community knows of any type of glasses (whether shooting related, or commercial), that could help him see better while hunting at dusk? He has described his vision at night as seeing "starbursts."

It takes him out of low light hunting by as much as a half hour. Driving at night is even worse for him.

The fraudulent claims made by the glasses currently on TV are not an option. They do not work! He's tried.

Anything? Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Tell 'em to talk to an eye doctor and maybe to consider laser surgery on his eyes. I have heard nothing but good things about it.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    A friend of mine has asked me to see if the community knows of any type of glasses (whether shooting related, or commercial), that could help him see better while hunting at dusk? He has described his vision at night as seeing "starbursts."

It takes him out of low light hunting by as much as a half hour. Driving at night is even worse for him.

The fraudulent claims made by the glasses currently on TV are not an option. They do not work! He's tried.

Anything? Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

He needs to get his eyes checked by a professional. He may have the beginnings of cataracts. It started for me when I began seeing lights at night when driving with a halo or aura around them.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Vitamin deficiencies can cause that also. I have a family member that had that problem. Doc prescribed a vitamin heavy A regimen that cleared it up.

Paging nola_ (you might want to pm him if he doesn't comment- he's the resident eye expert)

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    See an eye doctor, an ophthalmologist...not an optometerest.... After I started seeing the halos and starburst at night, and putting off going to a doctor till it got real bad, I went and discovered I was having a detachment of the retina. It was happening slowly. I waited too late for the right eye to be fixed but they were able to watch the left and fixed it before any permanant damage was done and save the sight in the left eye. If I had gone earlier the right might have been saved.

Gary,
    blind in one eye cause I put off the dr. visit.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I wonder if he took our advice about seeing the Ophthalmologist ? Would like to know how things turned out. Wish some one would have warned me about those flashes of light and night vison warnings....I can't see in three-D any more and I enjoyed them three-D movies. I am grateful for two-D, it sure beats no-D. My right eye was my dominant shooting eye so now I have to shoot left handed. But it is what it is.

Gary

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I wonder if he took our advice about seeing the Ophthalmologist ? Would like to know how things turned out. Wish some one would have warned me about those flashes of light and night vison warnings....I can't see in three-D any more and I enjoyed them three-D movies. I am grateful for two-D, it sure beats no-D. My right eye was my dominant shooting eye so now I have to shoot left handed. But it is what it is.

Gary

Here's a reputable source of information.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003039.htm

(Yes, I'm also a doctor [Ph.D.] and know how to perform research competently.)
    Looks like you are getting some good advice here; this site link will inform you as to what to ask a professional ophthalmologist.
    Hope this helps.

He said that he has been to a "real" opthalmologist and was told that it is NOT a detached retina. His Dr. refers to his conditions as "star bursts" essentially stars and blurs. He was also told there is no medical/surgical fix for his condition. he is going to look into some type of shooting glasses that make night sight clearer. :dunno:

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Best suggestion, vision is nothing to trifle with; once lost it is seldom found again.
    Were I him, a second opinion would be my option.
    No offense to the original doc, but when sight is on the line I'd get very inquisitive as to my options.
    Any professional physician would have no adversity to another bit of input on the matter.
    Another question I would have is why the original ophthalmologist didn't offer any useable suggestions as to alternatives (like eyewear that works or other options.)
    He is paying for an expert in the field for advice and sounds like he has walked away without any form of certainty or closure.
    Second opinion.
    After that I'd explore eyewear options independently if a second source verified the initial diagnosis/prognosis.

Just my .02 my friend, hope it helps him out.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Best suggestion, vision is nothing to trifle with; once lost it is seldom found again.
    Were I him, a second opinion would be my option.
    No offense to the original doc, but when sight is on the line I'd get very inquisitive as to my options.
    Any professional physician would have no adversity to another bit of input on the matter.
    Another question I would have is why the original ophthalmologist didn't offer any useable suggestions as to alternatives (like eyewear that works or other options.)
    He is paying for an expert in the field for advice and sounds like he has walked away without any form of certainty or closure.
    Second opinion.
    After that I'd explore eyewear options independently if a second source verified the initial diagnosis/prognosis.

Just my .02 my friend, hope it helps him out.

I will pass it on!

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I've got moderate starburst issues at night - and they got worse after the advanced Lasik surgery.

I've worn $500 sunglasses with super special anti-everything lenses from Germany (or some other expensive country), and nothing has seemed to help.

Switching to polarized amber lenses makes things better at dusk, because they aren't "too dark".

Top Bottom