Nighttime hog hunting under new law

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cottonmouth

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Monroe, LA
    I just now looked up the hog hunting laws for the first time :eek3: our land is infested with hogs who destroy several acres of pasture every year..we've been shooting the devils on sight, day or night for years without mercy but it still seems to be a loosing battle. Hogs, armadillos, beavers, and nutria rats are 4 creatures I'm going to continue to kill year 'round day or night no matter what the state says..when it got to the point where a walk through the pasture turned into being chased by 5 hogs it was on! :draw:

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    Hogs, armadillos, beavers, and nutria rats are 4 creatures I'm going to continue to kill year 'round day or night no matter what the state says..when it got to the point where a walk through the pasture turned into being chased by 5 hogs it was on! :draw:

That's what I'm talkin' bout!!

Over the years I've figured out that those lil' bastards have such ****-poor eyesight that sometimes when you spook em, you may think they're charging you when actually they're trying to run away.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I just now looked up the hog hunting laws for the first time :eek3: our land is infested with hogs who destroy several acres of pasture every year..we've been shooting the devils on sight, day or night for years without mercy but it still seems to be a loosing battle. Hogs, armadillos, beavers, and nutria rats are 4 creatures I'm going to continue to kill year 'round day or night no matter what the state says..when it got to the point where a walk through the pasture turned into being chased by 5 hogs it was on! :draw:

Need help?

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nope..Been charged several time's...and they killed one of my dog's...Just mean azz animal's..
    That's what I'm talkin' bout!!

Over the years I've figured out that those lil' bastards have such ****-poor eyesight that sometimes when you spook em, you may think they're charging you when actually they're trying to run away.

cottonmouth

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Monroe, LA
    Nope..Been charged several time's...and they killed one of my dog's...Just mean azz animal's..

Yes they are. When I got charged I was out in the pasture with nothing but a shovel and they all just came crashing out of the wood line full speed ahead. I threw the shovel down and ran like scalded dog. I had to jump a stream before makin it back to the four-wheeler and thats where they stopped..but I sat there for about 2 minutes watching them paw the ground and snort around before they ran off. Talk about a pissed off animal. And that is why I don't even go feed the horses without my AR in the four-wheeler rack.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Had one charge my brother and i...In a cow pasture..was about 7 yrs old..Had a Uncle ran out to the cow pasture and fought off the Boar with a fence post..He broke the post over the boar's snout before it decided to return to the wood's...He saved our butt's that day...1 Brave man...

Yes they are. When I got charged I was out in the pasture with nothing but a shovel and they all just came crashing out of the wood line full speed ahead. I threw the shovel down and ran like scalded dog. I had to jump a stream before makin it back to the four-wheeler and thats where they stopped..but I sat there for about 2 minutes watching them paw the ground and snort around before they ran off. Talk about a pissed off animal. And that is why I don't even go feed the horses without my AR in the four-wheeler rack.

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston

That will teach you to go in the field w/o your 44mag on your side:(

scalded dog,havent heard that phrase in awhile:)

I didn't even know there was a season.ooops

Last edited:

cottonmouth

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Monroe, LA
    Need help?

Might just take you up on that when I get back to LA in oct. When I was home last December they had killed 5 or 6 more. The majority of them being on one if my uncles land. He has already said he doesn't care who kills them or how they do it..he just wants them gone. He cuts hay every year and the past 2-3 years he's lost a lot of it due to hogs tearing up the fields so bad he can't bail in certain areas.

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    if you just want to try and control them, mix c=broken clay pigeons, deer corn and diesel. set that out and the hogs will eat it and die. not very humane, but its a way to control them... somewhat

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Might just take you up on that when I get back to LA in oct. When I was home last December they had killed 5 or 6 more. The majority of them being on one if my uncles land. He has already said he doesn't care who kills them or how they do it..he just wants them gone. He cuts hay every year and the past 2-3 years he's lost a lot of it due to hogs tearing up the fields so bad he can't bail in certain areas.

I've been looking for someplace close to hunt hogs. If he wants them hunted I would be very interested.
    I'm assuming it's in the Monroe area?

It would give me a good excuse to get a suppressor before next Feb.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    The way I read that we can only use suppressors to hunt outlaw quadrupeds at night. Is that how y'all interpret that as well??

That's what it looks like. I'm sure if there's enough interest, it could possibly be changed to allow use during daylight hours (within the march to august restriction).

cottonmouth

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Monroe, LA
    I've been looking for someplace close to hunt hogs. If he wants them hunted I would be very interested.
    I'm assuming it's in the Monroe area?

It would give me a good excuse to get a suppressor before next Feb.

We're about 30 miles from Monroe out close to Chatham..I just use Monroe because my town isn't really on the map. But yeah I'll be back in LA for good oct 2 and I'm thinking about messaging a few folks who were askin about comming up that way to shoot some so I will let you know. If I knew somebody with dogs I'm sure they could tear the hogs up out there. If you just walk through the hardwoods area along the edge of the swamp where they bed down you see hog sign every couple of feet all through the area. It's really quite ridiculous.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    They do not have it worded clearly on the website. Act 29 applies to hunting anytime, not just at night.

It looks like this act has not been added to the online statutes as of yet. It will eventually be added to R.S. 56:116.1(D)(3).
    Atc 29 --> http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/streamdocument.asp?did=755974

Thanks for posting that. The WLF does a pretty decent job of putting the rules together in one packet for the most part, but as you can see here, it's not always to the letter of the law. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to print out that RS if you do hunt with a suppressor.

Top Bottom