No Fmj Allowed! ???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I went to my local range today to sight-in my .308 rifle.

I was told by the range officer that FMJ bullets are not allowed but solid copper bullets are allowed.

Is there a legitimate reason to not allow FMJ rifle bullets?

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    High power rifle rounds are hard on backstops, especially in FMJ form. Copper bullets and soft points are usually preferred or required.

Almost all rifle rounds are hard on backstops. Why pick on FMJ?
    How is a bullet jacketed with a thin strip of copper any more destructive than a bullet that is solid copper?

It was Tallow Creek and the backstop is dirt.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    High power rifle rounds are hard on backstops, especially in FMJ form. Copper bullets and soft points are usually preferred or required.

If they are worried about the negligible difference of damage inflicted between a 180gr. SP bullet and 147gr. FMJ in a .308 then they shouldn't allow rifles to shoot there at all. What do you think is going to do more damage......a 52gr FMJ .223 round or a 210gr Barnes TSX copper hunting bullet coming out of a .300wm???

Tallow Creek = a bunch of pansy ass butt munchers who are hyped up on power trips.

Last edited:

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Yeah, that's why I didn't mention the name of the range...

So, there is no legitimate reason for their "NO FMJ" rule???

It aggravated me mainly because I paid approx $1 for the FMJ and $3 for the solid copper.
    $2 x 20 rounds = $40 MORE BUCKS!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE - SOMEONE OPEN A RANGE WHERE I CAN PRACTICE PROPERLY

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    This is what I'm looking for...just part of my "dream list":
    Shooting on the move
    Shooting as fast as I can
    Shooting non-standard targets
    Transitioning between guns
    90 degree (minimum) shooting
    Shooting any ammo I want
    etc...

It is unlikely that I will damage anything or make a mess but I am prepared to and insist upon paying for any damage I create and I will clean any mess I create, as well.

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    Yeah, that's why I didn't mention the name of the range...

So, there is no legitimate reason for their "NO FMJ" rule???

It aggravated me mainly because I paid approx $1 for the FMJ and $3 for the solid copper.
    $2 x 20 rounds = $40 MORE BUCKS!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE - SOMEONE OPEN A RANGE WHERE I CAN PRACTICE PROPERLY

Start shooting your rifles at Honey Island Range. 30-40min ride for you. Good safe RO's, nice range, shoot what you want. One thing you must have a LA fishing or hunting license as well as a WMA Permit. Range fee is $6 for all day, open Fri,Sat,Sun.

geauxbubba

"No Comment"
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Lacombe
    Start shooting your rifles at Honey Island Range. 30-40min ride for you. Good safe RO's, nice range, shoot what you want. One thing you must have a LA fishing or hunting license as well as a WMA Permit. Range fee is $6 for all day, open Fri,Sat,Sun.

What he said. I found out the hard way at TC, was shooting away with FMJ, they changed range officers and the new guy stopped me. I didn't notice the large sign. Also, I didn't like having to shoot sitting down under a big wooden wall either.

WHEELER

Don't Tread on Me
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Go to HI. They will let you shoot 50BMG FMJ's all day. Only thing they dont permit is tracers.

HI will not allow you to shoot on the move or practice drawing a loaded weapon though. I would assume Nick's will not as well, they seem kind of picky while I was there.

Targets are pretty lenient, what do you want to shoot?

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Let's see if I remember some of tallow creek's awesome rules:

No FMJ ammo
    No rapid fire
    No MG's
    No .50BMG

If I'm forgetting something, someone please chime in.

JR1572

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    5 dollar Wild Louisiana Stamp for Honey Island-- mine expires tomorrow, so I went and shot the old one today.

25, 50, 75, 100 yard known distances (with stands and holders), plus 8" plates/gongs at 100 yards. Never had them ask me about ammo, so I'm pretty sure there's no restrictions-- steel core would be my only concern? Nice facility, safe and friendly RO's-- might get your ear talked off at times, but for me, that's a plus.

I shot off hand, supported at the bench, sitting, kneeling and prone today. Rapid fire has never been an issue while I've been around. Stuck a target at 50 and had 2 plates at the end of my lane, so I did multiple target engagements today. No way to really shoot on the move, and I'd imagine transitions are frowned upon although I've never asked, tried or seen anyone scolded.

Pistol range is pretty nice as well, although there's not much shade due to the direction it faces. Plates at 24 yards there, plus some reactives for rimfire shooting at the far end.

I have absolutely no complaints about the place, and I've been dozens of times across the past two years. Not terribly far from Covington, but well worth the trip if your local range is a pain.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Are they trying to go lead free? That's the only thing that makes sense to me. They certainly don't make solid copper bullets because they are LESS destructive.

Top Bottom