No Louisiana Sheriffs or Police Chiefs Oppose Obama Gun Controls?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lowbrow

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    New Orleans
    This is a list of sheriffs and state sheriffs associations that have stated they oppose Obama gun control policies.

Out of well over 200 sheriffs nationwide, there is not one from Louisiana in this list. There should be! Our state should stand out as a strong and vocal RKBA bastion.

Does anyone have any idea where any of our local LEO chiefs stand? I would like to think that everyone of them would oppose any unconstitutional measures - but of course I'm not quite so naive to automatically assume that. But have any of them made statements that reveal their views?

I'm interested to know what they think. If anyone has any insights please share.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Maybe the list sucks. How was it compiled? I'd like to think LEOs have more important things to do than make sure they're on the right list.

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    I remember reading somewhere that the Sheriff from Ascension Parish opposes the ban

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Maybe the list sucks. How was it compiled? I'd like to think LEOs have more important things to do than make sure they're on the right list.
    Maybe they were too busy on Facebook "liking" all the pics against cancer and domestic violence. Priorities man, priorities...

Lowbrow

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    New Orleans

The list was compiled by the Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association (CSPOA). Larry Pratt, Richard Mack, and a lot of other people who are speaking up for the rights of gun owners are closely associated with them.

I'm pretty sure the list is incomplete - which is why I'm asking about this in this thread - but it's doubtful that "the list just sucks". To quote from the site:

...the above list was created to identify those county sheriffs who have gone on record to uphold their oath by having made public statements, written open letters or called our office and asked to be included in the list of sheriffs and peace officers standing against gun control.

I would like to see more public officials (in all capacities) do the same thing. It doesn't take much time to issue a press release, write a blog post, or otherwise state one's position on such an important issue.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Why?

Does this group have any influence?

Is it worth a Sheriff or Police Chief wasting their time, or is it more like a bit of junk mail for the feel-goods? I've never heard of the CSPOA before.

Unless they have ties as a lobbying group, it strikes me as being about as effective as adding another facebook 'like' to 'cure cancer'.

Lowbrow

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    New Orleans
    This really shouldn't be so difficult.

My original question was basically if anyone knew of any public statements made by La. leo's.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    This really shouldn't be so difficult.

My original question was basically if anyone knew of any public statements made by La. leo's.
    Well the question was prefaced with the statement that there should be Louisiana sheriffs on that list, to which replies were made to that point.

I didn't address the other question in the post because I don't know. I also don't care because what does that effect, honestly?

Are you going to be able to defend yourself in court if the Sheriff changes his mind, or if a city police officer busts you and charges you? Or a State trooper? "Well my Sheriff said it won't be enforced so I'm ok" is not a legal defense.

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I have never heard of the Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association and I'll bet several Louisiana sheriffs haven't either.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    I believe our Washington Parish sheriff "Country" Seal ,when push comes to shove will be there for us. What we have to worry about is Marshall Law giving all the power to the Feds.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I would like to think that publicly supporting our Constitutuion rights is important.
    Would you rather pay them to trawl their letters and internet groups to make sure they're on "all the right opinion lists" or would you rather pay them to do their job and make the right actions, talk to the right people, and spend so much time writing opinions that they have no time to actually /act/ on those opinions?

I'd rather my Sheriff not waste his time on such things. That list has /no/ bearing on whether or not he is for supporting the Constitution over the FedGov Executive Office. In fact, more than just me has said they've never heard of the organization putting the list together, before now.

So in the real world, what /effect/ is accomplished by such a list?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I would like to think that publicly supporting our Constitutuion rights is important.

Yeah, me too.

It's the ones being publicly evasive and ambiguous on where they stand with this issue I'd have more of a beef with.....

Dgraham225

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Denham springs
    I would like to believe that for most of Louisiana, the lack of support for such as these proposals would go without saying. I am pretty certain Jason Ard here in the LP wouldn't need to make a statement on his position. Although I wouldn't mind seeing something from him.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I believe our Washington Parish sheriff "Country" Seal ,when push comes to shove will be there for us. What we have to worry about is Marshall Law giving all the power to the Feds.

Martial Law is the correct term. And, it's illegal in America, but it wouldn't give power to "the Feds". It would give direct power to the governors through force implemented by the National Guard.

darrinj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Well attorney Louis Unglesby spoke to the press club yesterday and said you don't need to assault a moose with an assault rifle and there is no need to own and assault weapon. He also stated Louisiana needs to set an example for new gun control laws bla bla bla like all the gun grabbers are saying. I saw it on wafb last night and thought to myself you know he has a couple assault rifles in his safe lol..

Top Bottom