No Love For Beretta 92's?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    NO the factory mags are fine. The mecgear mags are fine. But for a period of time Army got a crap load of check mate mags that plain sucked. Those were the issue. Since checkmate has fixed the problem but it did cause gun to lose more face to some who already didn't like it.

dydog4566

LA CHP Instructor # 411
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Greenwell Springs,LA
    Bought my 92f years ago, brand new in the box for well under 500, in fact I think it was closer to 400 with tax title and license ( before Brady). I bought it because hi-cap 9's were the rage back then, and every other one I put in my hand Ruger, Smith, etc were too thick and couldn't get a good grip on them. The beretta just felt right.....................I did my own field test once and ran some where around a 1000 rds with no cleaning and never had a misfire. I still have this pistol, it was my first semi- auto. Mine is italian made, and yeah you can't change sights, they are not night sights, and a few other draw backs, but I still love the pistol. Holsters should abound for them, blackhawk, galco make em and I have one of each for it. Are there better pistols out there, sure! But this one is far from junk. Enjoy it, I have mine

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    92fscomped.jpg

i want one like this.....comps and hogue wraparounds. that is all.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    The 92 was never as good nor as bad as claimed.

The 9mm will never be a .45ACP.

Don't almost all defensive civillian gunfights involve three rounds fired, or less ?

Just apply y'all's same logic to the G19; and, which pistol comes out on top ? 15 or 16 rounds of 9mm +P, less weight, more concealable, more easily serviced, cheaper, and as reliable.

In 50 years, I have never had to actually shoot anyone. I haven't even had to "draw" a weapon, in over 35 years, for defensive purposes.

I stopped a street crime in Houston a few years ago, just by telling the BG "Don't make me draw my weapon; or, you'll be sorry !" Of course, I did have a G26 in hand; but, never even showed it.

The 92 IS a good range pistol. Or, at least it was back in the early 1970's when I was a US Army Captain.

Just my two cents,

leVieux

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    I qualified with it in the service and happen to like the 92. With that said, I prefer a larger caliber, and smaller frame, and night sights are a must for me. However, that doesn't mean the 92 is a bad weapon.
    I think there is a difference between "is it the best choice?" and "is it a good weapon?".
    My opinion, it's a good weapon.

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    I qualified with it in the service and happen to like the 92. With that said, I prefer a larger caliber, and smaller frame, and night sights are a must for me. However, that doesn't mean the 92 is a bad weapon.
    I think there is a difference between "is it the best choice?" and "is it a good weapon?".
    My opinion, it's a good weapon.

Just to be fair, nobody is putting the 92 above anybody's favorite Austrian tuperware ( no offense Gaston.) or any other pistol for that matter. I'm sure if you put a Glock, Sig, Browning, Colt, H&K and Beretta in a Ransom Rest, not at the same time of course, the Beretta wouldn't be the most accurate, but in my hand, after owning and shooting most of those named, the beretta always printed better for me, even with my Sig 229sport and Steyr GB coming in a close second.

Taking individual ergonomics into account, I have a large hand with a spread of 10.25" span from the tip of the thumb to the pinky and an index/trigger finger length of just over 6" from the tip to the webbing of my hand, so the Beretta is just a natural fit. It is almost impossible to conceal on a small frame without wearing layers, but for a long hand it just works for me.

CorpsmanUp!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree that a lot of the animosity towards it stemmed from the replacing of the 1911 with the 92. But in the real world it doesn't make a whole heck of lot of difference. Bottom line is you have a high quality pistol and that's all that matters. Leave the "best pistol in the world" sentiment to those that like to argue. Smarter men than me can't agree on that topic so I'm not going to spend my time giving myself a headache about it. I will say this though, you'll see a lot more folks at the range shooting a Glock with bad fundamentals than a 92. I'd just be happy to own it and put the whole worrying about it to bed and look at it like you got good one.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    Dunno about that. At one of the classes we had here a year or so back (Awerbuck or Givens, don't recall now), there was a young man of Asian descent, maybe 5'8" or so, very skinny, who was hiding one in an IWB holster under a T-shirt. I remember being impressed that he was concealing that big bastard so well; and he was shooting it pretty good, too.

I believe that was Awerbuck's class. Some ole fart shot a water bottle at 25 yards without their "spectaculars" if I recall. :thumbsup:

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    One of the things I really like about the Beretta is the number of choices available. There's also so many people parting the guns out that you can build it any way you want. Personally, I hope to end up with a Brigadier slide with conical bushing and night sites.

On that note, Does anyone here have a Vertec or Elite 1A? I will be looking for a frame to put under my M9 upper and am wondering about the Vertec's grip angle. Really that much like the 1911?

ragincajun1919

Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Sep 23, 2009
    Lafayette, La
    I would like a vertec frame with an elite 2a slide.

The M9 was the first pistol I bought myself when I was of age. I like it a lot. I shoot more accurately with it than any other pistol. My wife also likes the 92 series, she has a 92 compact. It's reliable, accurate and comfortable. Win win win

JumpmanUSC

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 23, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    First ever handgun I owned. Bought one when I turned 21. Sold it after a few years due to the significant other (now wife) was uncomfortable around guns. Once she warmed up to the idea of gun ownership, I decided to buy another just to rekindle the old memories. Found an Italian made 92FS @ a Lafayette gun show and jumped on the good deal. Unfortunately, by that point my taste in firearms, handguns in particular leaned heavily on HK so I never really got to enjoy the gun the second time around. It was reliable as any other gun that I have handled. That said, issues others have brought up were true about the gun. It is big, heavy and sights are a bitch to replace with NS. I haven't sworn off Beretta completely though. I find the PX4 9mm is as fine or finer than the 92FS.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The safety isn't wrong if your European. I have carried the 92f and 92g extensively IWB and it can be done the problem with the 92 is its size/weight and the fact that its SA/DA. The gun is way to big and heavy to be what it is a seondary weapon. For anything other than overt carry its a chore, hence the continued use of the M11. It should be replaced with a modern striker fired, polymer design. I think the Glock 19 or M&P would be perfect but don't hold your breath. There is no institutional inertia for change. The orginizations that care for the most part have other options and for everyone else its not a priority. When and if a change is made it willbe for another 9mm pistol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom