No More Apostrophes in Thread Titles!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Seriously, I dislike having to edit the hyperlink EVERY SINGLE TIME I want to see a thread where someone used "New World Order 'draws line' in the sand". Can we get moderation and editing of titles that make it difficult to view threads?

Last edited:

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I'm not sure I understand. The example you gave only provides an example of quotation marks, not apostrophes. (Single quotes inside of double quotes)

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm not sure I understand. The example you gave only provides an example of quotation marks, not apostrophes. (Single quotes inside of double quotes)
    single quotes are the same button as apostrophe. Like 'apostrophe' or "the apostrophe's tendency to be overused" The problem is people keep using the single quote in subject lines. That turns the subject line into an element of executable code that prevents the forum software from calling a page properly.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    There was one title that had a superscript 'tm' in the title today! They don't work in chrome. I'm not going launch a different browser to read one thread!

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    single quotes are the same button as apostrophe. Like 'apostrophe' or "the apostrophe's tendency to be overused" The problem is people keep using the single quote in subject lines. That turns the subject line into an element of executable code that prevents the forum software from calling a page properly.

Are standard punctuation marks like period, comma, colon, question mark, and semi-colon OK?

I wonder if the characters on the same key as the numbers are OK and the rest aren't, but that would put periods and commas on the no-no list.
    :ohreally:

Lowbrow

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    New Orleans
    Should be a 5-minute code fix to permanently ensure characters like that get filtered out. There's no reason that mods or anyone else should have to manually monitor posts for certain characters so it doesn't mess up URLs and things. Let the computer do the work.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Correct, we're looking into it.

Should be a 5-minute code fix to permanently ensure characters like that get filtered out. There's no reason that mods or anyone else should have to manually monitor posts for certain characters so it doesn't mess up URLs and things. Let the computer do the work.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Are standard punctuation marks like period, comma, colon, question mark, and semi-colon OK?

I wonder if the characters on the same key as the numbers are OK and the rest aren't, but that would put periods and commas on the no-no list.
    :ohreally:

Welcome back Tom, glad to see you changed your mind.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    It's not just apostraphes. It's any special character that the forum software does not recognize. Doesn't have to do 100% with chrome as it's something that I've seen on all browsers even safari on my iphone.

Like ' and " are fine but if you go into MS Word and type "hello" or 'hello' you will get the angled quotes or apostrophes.

If I were to copy and paste them into this post they would not work properly. If you copy and paste them into a thread title, it breaks the ability to enter the thread without modifying the URL in your address bar.

*hello*
    ‘hello’

QTke3Ys.png

As you can see, in word the quotes and apostraphes are angled properly. In the forum though it turned the " into * and reversed one of the ' marks. Typically people copy news articles and then paste them into the thread title so it tries to paste the computer code into the title which doesn't work too well with this version of vbulletin. The easiest solution would be to disable the thread titles being part of the link but it seems the admins want the threads to show up on Google faster so it can better index with the stuff in the title/url. I guess faster appearance on Google looks good for those who will spend money to advertise here? I don't know the logic behind it. The best fix would be to upgrade vbulletin but nobody wants downtime especially advertisers and last time they upgraded I think the forums were down for several days and never fully 100% recovered (had bugs like the one discusses in this thread appear). At least they fixed where pasting in links did not properly close the url tag and the first line after was also a link.

Last edited:

Lowbrow

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    New Orleans
    This is a typical problem encountered with inserting data into a database before making it safe. I deal with stuff like this all the time (I program a lot of web apps). I find it strange that vBulletin doesn't have this already solved and built-in. Perhaps there's a patch available if you can't do a total upgrade. If there's no patch already made available, it should be an easy problem to solve, code-wise.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    This is a typical problem encountered with inserting data into a database before making it safe. I deal with stuff like this all the time (I program a lot of web apps). I find it strange that vBulletin doesn't have this already solved and built-in. Perhaps there's a patch available if you can't do a total upgrade. If there's no patch already made available, it should be an easy problem to solve, code-wise.

Blade.Forums uses what looks like the same system.

I will pay attention and see if that seems to be a problem there.

When I posted and used an apostrophe in the title, I couldn't access the post via Cr to correct it but could using FireFox.
    :dunno:

Top Bottom