No more Bayou Bullets for me...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    This was the third time at the range with my Colt 9mm Carbine today. I have been running Power Pistol behind the Bayou Bullet 124gr round nose, and while things generally go bang and end up where I have pointed, the obnoxious cloud of death smog is just too absurd to justify loading these any more.

I am no stranger to the awful cloud of fouling, having made many 230gr Lead round nose rounds propelled by Bulleseye. Lead is notorious for fouling, and bullseye is notably filthy, to say nothing of being fired out a 4" barrel. However, the marked differences would (or rather, should) be the vastly cleaner Power Pistol powder with the moly coating on the Bayou Bullets travelling down a barrel 4 times the length of a handgun for maximum powder cookoff.

Nothing doing here. Solid taper crimp, regular AND magnum primers all yield the same choking cloud that invades the sinuses and fills the throat with black post-nasal drip, largely indistinguishable from Bulleseye-propelled non-coated lead. This is also accompanied by a ton of fouling all over the shirt where the buttstock made contact, a black, sooty face, and lead shavings splintering out of the slots in the A2 birdcage like a crown of thorns.

I have had limited contact with the proprietor -seems like a good guy, and lots of people like the product. Maybe these serve a better purpose in another role, but for my purposes, I'm going to pass. Looks like copper plated at a minimum from now on.

Last edited:

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    I think you have a rifle problem more than a Bayou Bullets problem.

I would agree. A rifle problem to me. Plus I use power pistol and it has a worse smoke cloud than bullseye. The powder is going to produce a nasty cloud. And the black soot is the powder not burning off not the bayou bullet. Again everything you described sounds like dirty powder which power pistol is and your rifle.

NINmm2k

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2014
    River Ridge Louisiana
    If you are burning up the bullet that much you would have liquified lead through out the barrel. Get your riffle checked or try a different powder. I use 9mm 124gr bayou bullets on top of 5.5gr of power pistol. I shoot it out of a cheap HI Point rifle and have never had a smoke issue. At times I see less smoke then when I shoot winchester white box.

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    I certainly wouldn't want to mischaracterize the bullets if that's not the case, though I do not recall 10mm handloads running .40 plated bullets having fouling anything like this. On one hand I would think that a Colt barrel would have a reduced likelihood of being problematic. On the other hand, it was a latter day build where the employees may have already checked out.

I'll have to run some factory loads once I clean the hell out of it. I assume the same problems should occur with factory FMJ if it is actually a rifle-based problem.

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    I certainly wouldn't want to mischaracterize the bullets if that's not the case, though I do not recall 10mm handloads running .40 plated bullets having fouling anything like this. On one hand I would think that a Colt barrel would have a reduced likelihood of being problematic. On the other hand, it was a latter day build where the employees may have already checked out.

I'll have to run some factory loads once I clean the hell out of it. I assume the same problems should occur with factory FMJ if it is actually a rifle-based problem.

I had a problem with black soot and it was unburnt powder due to light loads. You may want to check and up your grains of powder. The bullet itself is not the cause of the black soot and black blowback into your face that's a light load problem. With pistol my hand was full of unburnt powder and soot and it was due to not enough powder. I think that would solve the black soot issue. As far as rifle some rifle barrels just don't do well with non plated Bullets.

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    Powder/concentrated GSR is one issue. This would be the other, and while I could be mistaken, I wouldn't think this a problem with an underpressured load.

8EED0683-101C-4E1D-A85A-AF124DC4B85A_zpsmhsewfr9.jpg

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    Powder/concentrated GSR is one issue. This would be the other, and while I could be mistaken, I wouldn't think this a problem with an underpressured load.

8EED0683-101C-4E1D-A85A-AF124DC4B85A_zpsmhsewfr9.jpg

DAMN that looks like maybe the flash hider could be peeling the bullet. Got me on this one. Maybe your right and your barrel just don't like lead. But it really looks like maybe the flash is doing that. Run factory. Keep posted I would like to know what it is. I never had a problem with bayou bullets that's all I use in my reloading.

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    More pictures please, down the crown as well. A 30 cal or wrong cal flash hider would certainly explain your excessive blowback discharge in a blow back action firearm.

CATS

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Slug your barrel and bird cage. Compare dia to the swaged dia of unfired projectile. Sounds mismatched. BB may be able to supply a different swaged size to fit your equipment. Or buy unswaged boolets and run thru a Lee push thru swage tool. Also confirm powder load data.

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    I soaked it in hoppes for a few hours last night, then ran a clean patch or two. When I returned home I ran a fresh 9mm bronze brush through 25 times. This was what came out...

72784B46-51F2-46B0-AED2-9FB09EFA426F_zpsr1t0whbi.jpg

0B283671-28EA-4931-B234-841798EC6E4C_zpsvq1zw1qm.jpg

Here is the best res photo I could get from the crown to the breach. You can make out a dark band that gives off the impression that the barrel is in two pieces...

C23835F5-6CB7-42D5-ADAF-8B35E2D0BE7C_zpsg6vsc0sl.jpg

In any event, the FH does not appear mismatched to the naked eye. I don't have swage tools but I may be able to run a set of calipers at either end of the barrel.

CATS

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Take a soft lead slug, like a fishing weight and tap it thru the barrel from the front without the cage and a separate slug thru the cage. Put your calipers on the slugs and compare to your non-fired Boolits. An egg fishing weight will work. Drive them thru with a jag on the end of your rod or an empty brass case that is smaller that the ID of your barrel. You know you are getting a good barrel fit when the muzzel shaves off some of the slug as you start it.

CATS

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    With that many powder mummies are you sure that you are using the right powder for the aplication? Maybe get some advice on that from someone more experienced.

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    that band , that gap that looks like a 2 peice barrel , screams sqib to me , never seen it in 9mm , but i had a 22 like that

can you feel it with patches or maybe a foam ear plug pushed thru to see if it catches there

Last edited:

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    With that many powder mummies are you sure that you are using the right powder for the aplication? Maybe get some advice on that from someone more experienced.

I can say that I have plenty ahead of me in terms of reloading education, but I have been at it for years now with .223, 9mm, .38/.357, 40, 10mm and .45. I use a Dillon 550 and can read a loading manual.

that band , that gap that looks like a 2 peice barrel , screams sqib to me , never seen it in 9mm , but i had a 22 like that

can you feel it with patches or maybe a foam ear plug pushed thru to see if it catches there

Are you suggesting that a squib caused a the band or the band caused the squib?

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    I have had a 22 personally (springfield 22 long not long rifle) that i fired 22lr from that i had a 22lr slug stick in bore load another round and i fired the second round
    it left a band mark bare spot like that and slightly lifted the rear sight which was right above it .

Is it possible that you had a sqib and fire cleared it

can you feel a funny spot in the bore

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom