No more surplus brass?? Keep an eye on this

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    govliq makes the rules up as they go, even changing the status after the fact. I've bought too much from them to doubt this issue.

WILDCATT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    MANNING SC
    brass

yrs ago this sort of thing went on,I was bidding on brass from the border patrol out of vt.and they desided it was bad so they ordered it cooked.that got changed and here we are again.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Check the areas in red.

DRMS-I 4160.14
    Section 3 - Special Processing
    Cartridge Cases (Fired Brass) - Expended
    Definition/Description
    Ammunition components consisting of cartridge and shell casings are subject to the
    International Traffic In Arms Regulations set forth in subchapter M of 22 Code of Federal
    Regulations (22 CFR 120.1. et.seq). Once expended, they are processed as fired brass scrap,
    with precautions to avoid improper release of unexpended cases.
    Policy References/Authority
    DOD 4160.21-M and DOD 4160.21-M-1.
    Unique Processing Information/How to Manage
    Receiving: The ETID/DTID must include the appropriate DEMIL code or clear-text statement for each
    receipt. The turn-in must contain certification that the residue is inert. Two signatures, a certifier and a
    verifier are required. Opening sealed/banded containers invalidates the inert certification. DRMOs will
    inspect what is readily visible (open boxes and drums) to verify the absence of contaminants, such as
    live rounds. No other level of inspection is required.
    Not authorized for receipt from DLA Depot Recycling Control Points (RCPs).
    NOTE:
    Warehousing/Storage: Storage will be accomplished in a properly assigned DEMIL Code “A” or “B”
    scrap pile.
    Reutilization/Transfers/Donations: GSA regional offices are authorized to approve transfer to SASPs,
    for donation to state and local governments, surplus expended cartridge cases (under .50 caliber) for
    reloading of the cartridges.
    DEMIL: All expended small arms cartridge cases (50 caliber and under) are assigned DEMIL Code “E.”
    Expended shotgun shell cases are assigned DEMIL Code “A.” Expended artillery cases are assigned
    DEMIL Code “B.”
    Sales: Sales in CONUS are authorized for casings 50 caliber and under (to satisfy local/reloading
    market/demand only). The appropriate sales method will be determined based on location, commodity

condition, etc. as well as any current, unique sales/scrap processing initiatives that may be in place. End
    Use Certificates are required for these sales.
    Abandonment/Destruction: Used if specifically directed on a case-by-case basis.
    Property Accounting: DEMIL performed code “9” is authorized for casings assigned DEMIL Code “E”
    but no DEMIL is required.
    No additional unique property accounting required.
    The provisions of this publication apply to all non-A-76 sites and Government Personnel at A-76 sites. This
    publication may be mandatory or advisory to the Service Provider, as stipulated in the Performance Work
    Statement.
    Section 3 - Special Processing S3-79 February 2009

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.dlis.dla.mil/demil/demil_codes.asp

Art

Last edited:

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I called a few of the managers at govliq locations across the US (places where I have bought from) and all said the same thing. doesn't matter what the ad says, all must be mutilated,

we shall see.

Last edited:

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    Surplus Brass Now Re-Classified DEMIL Q, so No Mutilation Required
    Yesterday, March 17, at 5:15 pm a letter cosigned by Senator Tester (D-MT) and Senator Baucus (D-MT) was faxed to the Department of Defense asking DOD to reverse its new policy requiring destruction of fired military cartridge brass. That joint letter, combined with thousands of email messages sent to Washington, convinced the DOD to reverse the recent change in surplus brass policy.

At 5:30 PM on the 17th, the DOD faxed Senator Tester’s office announcing that the policy requiring multilation of surplus brass had been rescinded. Specifically, surplus military cartridge brass has been reclassified as a “DEMIL Q” product (not “DEMIL B” as before). DEMIL Q requires no product mutilation unless the item is sold to a foreign country.

BOTTOM LINE: Stocks of U.S. Military surplus cartridge brass will continue to be offered for sale, via wholesalers, to the general public. Problem solved. As announced by Georgia Arms: “DOD Surplus, LLC, has rescinded its prior directive that ALL small arms spent casings be mutilated rather than recycled. This was a huge victory for common sense and we would like to thank each and every person who made an effort and played a role in correcting this mistake.”

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    A friend sent me this today.

NOTICE!!!

A hardy congratulation is due to our loyal customers, our good friends, and our fellow shooting enthusiasts through out this great nation! Due to the diligent and overwhelming effort of many thousands of you, calling, writing, and emailing our elected officials, DOD Surplus, LLC, has rescinded its prior directive that ALL small arms spent casings be mutilated rather than recycled. This was a huge victory for common sense and we would like to thank each and every person who made an effort and played a role in correcting this mistake. We at Georgia Arms are proud of everyone who took the time and had the courage to stand up for our rights. We believe that by your outpouring of anger and dismay, you not only extended our liberty and freedoms but also took a stand for economic common sense in a time when we know our government should be trying to reduce costs at all levels rather than throwing money away for some politically correct reason or the other. Again, our hat is off to everyone who helped and thanks to God as well. We will roll up our sleeves and go back to work; we have 223’s and 308’s to build!
    GOD BLESS AMERICA

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    This was DLA's response to a congressman's inquiry:

Released by the Legislative Liaison Office, Defense Logistics Agency, Ft. Belvoir, VA

The Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service (DRMS), a field activity of the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), is the Department of Defense (DOD) activity responsible for the disposition of excess and surplus DOD Property.

The primary focus of the DRMS mission is to protect national security by ensuring property is properly identified for reutilization and disposition and not released for public sale when to do so would jeopardize national security.

During the past two years, DRMS revised its processes to further ensure only appropriate items were made available for public sale. To strengthen current controls and to mitigate future security risk, the DOD issued policy that prohibits the sale of military unique items controlled by the Department of State through its Munitions List.
    Small arms cartridge cases are identified as a sensitive Munitions List item and were held pending review of the policy relating to the category of items in which cartridge cases were included. Upon review, the Defense Logistics Agency has determined the cartridge cases could be appropriately placed in a category of government property allowing for their release for sale.

The DRMS sales contractor has been notified of this decision and has begun the process of reoffering the cases that have been held pending completion of the policy review. As was previously required, buyers who purchase cartridge cases from the government must be approved to do so under Trade Security Controls.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Most of Georgia Arms ammo does come FA weapons. I have had no problems shooting it and I know there are cases out there where it has blown up weapons are sort if and when that time comes I will post pics of whichever blows up on me. I havent bought any from them in a few years as their prices went sky high to and was no more of a deal than factory ammo.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I sent Black Hills pictures of a few casehead separations that I had with some of the junior program reman ammo. They apologized and sent me a case of new match ammo (not reman).
    2mlh0deer5gl07skpe.jpg

4436ooi9i6nfa3li3zf.jpg

Last edited:

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Ive only shot/owned their x51 coming out of the 240s I would guess. I will check them and see. I do know they have an indent in them all from an extractor I would guess.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I need to find those casings (if I still have them) and check the head stamps. BH uses such a mix of head stamps that they are not likely SAW brass. Most of the problem, in my opinion, was that the shoulders were being set back .012" when the brass was resized. This is a recipe for ruining cases. The loading companies and commercial brass processers set the shoulder back alot because they want to make sure the brass chambers in everyone's gun. Personally, I don't set shoulders back more than .002" or so. My brass lasts a long time. I learned how quickly brass can separate a while back when a Redding 6.5x55 die was pushing my shoulders back excessively. They would fail after the second reload. A change of die and brass now lasts nearly forever.

My preference is to pick up brass after the AMU shoots - it is all fired in match chambers. I especially like doing it on the 600 yard line since it is all weighed and uniformed Lapua. Nothing but the best when someone else is paying for it. The second best place is to get brass from the Marines after qualification day. USMC doesn't require brass to be turned in and if you are in the right place at the right time, the price can't be beat.

I haven't seen web blow outs due to brass issue with die sized brass. However, Scharch used to roll size their brass and ream their primer pockets. People used to get what was commonly referred to as a "Scharch smiley face" which was a head failure that blew out the magazine. Generally, all of the gas was directed downward away from the shooter's face, but it would ruin your magazine. To this day, many highpower shooters, including myself, will not use brass processed by Scharch.

Top Bottom