NO restaurant suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Looking for something reasonably priced (not Antoines, gw fins, Commanders, etc) in N.O. Are there any restaurants left that have a nice view of either the city or the river?
    Is Landry's on the lake any good?

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Domenica, a John Besh joint is in the Roosevelt hotel and is very reasonably priced for killer food, less expensive, but also one of my favorites is The American Sector in the ww2 museum. Perfect pig poboy is sooo good. Capdeville is a great burger joint on Capdeville St, but no view. Mahoneys on st Charles has IMHO the best poboys in the world.

Too much good food in one city.

Charles1959

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Covington, La.
    One of my favorites is Mandina's on Canal St. Everything is good. Reasonably priced and, while not lightning fast, they are not so slow that you get aggravated waiting.
    My 2 cents worth.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    IIRC, there is a nice restaurant at the top of the Marriot on Canal. The tall one about a block from The Ritz. Great view of both city and river depending on which side you sit on. Been beauceau years since i've been so I can't really vouch for the food though.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    The Ponchatrain Landry's is the best of that chain.

Mahoney's is on Magazine St; zero parking.

Mandinas, 3800 Canal, is a locals favorite, reasonable, good parking, safe, large servings. Very, very noisy, though.

For "romantic", try leCitron Bistro, Religious Street (Tchoupitoulas) @ Orange Street, just upriver from Mardi Gras World.

To splurge, try Muriel's on Jackson Square, parking at Place d'Armes, next door on St.Ann just south of Rue Royale.

I live here, eat out a lot, and these are our favorites.

If you go to Mandina's, remember Brocato's Gelato just a few blocke away near Carrollton @ Canal, for great desserts.

leVieux

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    We ended up going to Mandinas. I got seafood. Wife wanted steak, they were out of the rib eye so they substituted the filet. Incredible, especially for a place not really known as a steak place. Not exactly what we originally planned due to time constraints but the food was great. Brocatto's was packed and again we were short on time so we had to skip it (daughter at a school dance and we had to pick her up). As it turned out we ended up later at Morning Call with a bunch of other parents... and an unplanned visit with our own Gbundersea, Armedloaner, and offspring. Good night out.

BTW, Charles, you were right on about the wait!

We drove past leCitron. Looks like a prom group had taken it over tonight. Glad we didn't plan on going there. We'll have to try that another night. I need to make a list of all the places we want to try.

Mjolinor, you're in Baton Rouge. Plan a day of shooting at Nick's in Garyville sometime and hit Mabile's poboys in Laplace on your way home. His roast beef is great!

Last edited:

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    The parking at Place d'Armes Hotel is the best & "safest" in the Quarter; Muriel's comps it by placing their sticker on the ticket. This saves one about $20.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I saw a news story a few days ago about a new Iphone app called "go NOLA" that's supposed to give you all kinds of info like this. I don't have an Iphone, though, so I can't vouch for it.

mb504

Better than Cheese
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    New Orleans
    Sun Ray Grill in the warehouse district is pretty good. If you are looking for a surprise in the quarter, give Coops place inthe quarter a try.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ...Mahoneys on st Charles has IMHO the best poboys in the world...

I would have to say Mother's on Poydras -- took my future son-in-law down to NO last Friday for beignets at Cafe du Monde, then lunch at Mother's -- not very stylish, not much view (but we did get a window table in the side room), but the roast beef poboy was great.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Did Christian's open back up after Katrina?

Wasn't it in the same general area as Mandina's?

There was a Mandina's in BR but it closed.
    :eh:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Did Christian's open back up after Katrina?

Wasn't it in the same general area as Mandina's?

There was a Mandina's in BR but it closed.
    :eh:

Christians did not re-open, but someone opened another place there. As you said, it's near Mandina's, but across Canal Street and behind the Schoen Funeral Home. I can't recall the name of the new place, but I think it may be Renaissance.

Top Bottom