NOLA Area Gunsmith

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dranrab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2015
    Metairie
    Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in this area? I just bought a new extractor for my Ruger 10/22 magnum and need to have someone install it. As gunsmithing goes, it doesn't get much easier than this. I might be able to do it myself, but would rather have it done by a professional.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in this area? I just bought a new extractor for my Ruger 10/22 magnum and need to have someone install it. As gunsmithing goes, it doesn't get much easier than this. I might be able to do it myself, but would rather have it done by a professional.

Easy... look up the step by step on YouTube... the only "Gunsmith" I know of is on the Westbank... the guy's kindof a prick and WAY TOO EXPENSIVE. I brought him a Kahr PM45 and a set of night sights to install because the front sight is so hard to remove on the Kahr and he charged me $200. WHAT??!?!?! Maybe he forgot I provided the night sights to him?? He also never called me to let me know it was finished. Apparently he finished it the next day (I brought it to him late in the evening the night before) and I ended up calling him a week later to ask about it and his answer was... "Oh yeah, that's BEEN ready", I've heard the same from a lot of others.

The 10/22 is one of the easiest rifles to mod/upgrade/replace parts for... you can EASILY do it yourself. Stick to the step by step and watch a few videos and you'll be an expert in no time.

Last edited:

Dranrab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2015
    Metairie
    I guess I don't stand to lose anything by trying. If I can't get it right I could always take it to a 'smith. That said, if I could find a good, fair 'smith I'd probably go that route. I am not very good with mechanical type things.

petingrass

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area
    1022s are a cinch. Make sure you've got some nonmarring tools, a decent set of punches, and a vice or a block to support the parts while working, and take your time. Just be careful you don't lose any parts that miggt fly out under spring tension. Hardest part is getting the bolt back into the gun. I have found an old chopstick to be an ideal tool. ;)

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom