Non professional shooting competition for disabled Veterans

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    Does anyone know of any types of shooting competitions for disabled Veterans? Preferably in Southwest Louisiana, but statewide is acceptable. I’m really just looking for something different than the Lake Charles gun club shooting. I’m glad it’s pretty close to where I live, but it’s more of a sighting in range than a challenging shooting environment. There is a 25 yard paper range, 50 yard paper range, 100 yard paper range that goes to 150 then 200, and 250 yards. All where you hang a target and shoot groups. At 300 yards there is an 8 or 10 inch gong with a board for a paper target. Same thing for 400, 500, and 600 yards. At 600 yards there is a 12 inch gong, 36 inch metal plate, and a paper target board. It’s just not fun after you hit those gongs a few times. They are circular gongs not a normal silhouette reactive target. The membership was $100 a year, then a couple years ago it bumped up to $200. Now it’s $250 a year and the only improvements were a covered pistol range. The pistol range has target posts at and around 10-20 yards. Once again that is for zeroing and not so much for training.

I am in no way degrading the range, but it’s just not fun or an environment for training. I just see all these ranges on the internet that have multiple levels training targets and reactive targets and it looks fun. I’m just looking for something that is fun and competitive.

Now I’m thinking they should make an archery range…. I’m thinking within the next year or so we will be limited to bow and arrows lol….

Any suggestions? Any types of constructive feedback? And I know this last part is a different subject, but does anyone know why Academy is almost bone dry on ammo? I went this weekend and it was absolute slim pickings….

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Why does it specifically have to be for disabled vets? I've been to a few uspsa meets and they are accepting of everyone.. No matter the skill level. Oh.. I've been to one idpa meet and it was the same. Find out if there are any competitions, from either one, in your area and give it a try.

I haven't been to the local academy in awhile but they were always full of ammo. My guess would be the tax free weekend we just had could be the reason for empty shelves.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    You don't specify what type of competition. Palo Alto in Donaldsonville has rimfire, long range rifle, USPSA pistol, Steel Challenge pistol, and others. All of them, to the best of my knowledge, will make arrangements for whatever your disability might be. https://www.paloaltogunclub.com/

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    I asked about disabled competition because I’m disabled lol. It wouldn’t be fair to compete against people who can run when I can’t run lol.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    You can do USPSA events at Sentry Defense in Youngsville. Its an indoor range and there is not a ton of movement. If you can get around you would be able to do the courses. Plus it would just be a time penalty if you can't run and if you aren't serious about moving up in classes then it's not a big deal and would still be great training. Great bunch of guys/girls when I was going.

MikeBurke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2017
    Delcambre, LA
    Long Range Alley, south of Shreveport, host 1000 yard matches. Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol has competitive rifle and or pistol matches nearly every weekend.

Have you ever reached out to Camp Victory? They support wounded/disabled shooters. I have seen them at several High Power Rifle competitions.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    Hey brother, thank you for your service hope you find what you are looking for.
    Thank you. It was an honor! You know that old saying if I could go back and change things saying? In the 14 years of my service in the Army, I never thought about getting into shooting matches while I was there. I’m kicking myself in the butt, because I had so many resources available while I was in and I never even had one thought about looking into it. When I was in Baghdad in 2006, one of my soldiers told me about his gun collection and he told me he had a few AR’s. I was like yea right. The last thing I remembered about owning firearms was the “assault weapon ban”. I grew up hunting as soon as I could hold a gun up on my own. We always had shotguns, deer rifles, plinking 22 rifles, and my dad had a few pistols. I remember in the early 80’s my dad bought a couple of SKS’s and they were so foreign to me lol. I got out in 2011 and I got my first AR15 in 2012. All those years I could have been buying some extremely cheap sporting rifles like the AR15, SKS, and AK 47’s. But hey, you live and you learn….
    Ok I’ll shut up now. I went way down that rabbit hole…

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    You can do USPSA events at Sentry Defense in Youngsville. It’s an indoor range and there is not a ton of movement. If you can get around you would be able to do the courses. Plus it would just be a time penalty if you can't run and if you aren't serious about moving up in classes then it's not a big deal and would still be great training. Great bunch of guys/girls when I was going.
    Gonna check that out. Youngsville isn’t that far from me. Thank you!!!

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    If you register with Practiscore you can find the time and dates for events. Not sure if it's still the same but it was Lafayette Practical shooters. Or you could call them and see if they are still doing them and when. Great group of people there.

I have heard there was some USPSA/IDPA stuff going on in East TX but if it's outside there may be way more movement involved so might be harder to do but they may also have steel plate stuff going on also.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    If you register with Practiscore you can find the time and dates for events. Not sure if it's still the same but it was Lafayette Practical shooters. Or you could call them and see if they are still doing them and when. Great group of people there.

I have heard there was some USPSA/IDPA stuff going on in East TX but if it's outside there may be way more movement involved so might be harder to do but they may also have steel plate stuff going on also.
    Thank you very much!!!

Batwing6

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2023
    Slidell
    Thank you. It was an honor! You know that old saying if I could go back and change things saying? In the 14 years of my service in the Army, I never thought about getting into shooting matches while I was there. I’m kicking myself in the butt, because I had so many resources available while I was in and I never even had one thought about looking into it. When I was in Baghdad in 2006, one of my soldiers told me about his gun collection and he told me he had a few AR’s. I was like yea right. The last thing I remembered about owning firearms was the “assault weapon ban”. I grew up hunting as soon as I could hold a gun up on my own. We always had shotguns, deer rifles, plinking 22 rifles, and my dad had a few pistols. I remember in the early 80’s my dad bought a couple of SKS’s and they were so foreign to me lol. I got out in 2011 and I got my first AR15 in 2012. All those years I could have been buying some extremely cheap sporting rifles like the AR15, SKS, and AK 47’s. But hey, you live and you learn….
    Ok I’ll shut up now. I went way down that rabbit hole…
    It's all good my brother, I served 23 years & 9 days in the army, pretty much loved every minute of it. It's good to jump down that rabbit hole every once in a while and let it out. When you need those resources again, just post what you are looking for on here and these guys will help you out!

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    New Orleans east... from what I have been told it is pretty "dynamic" there. Most of the engagement distances are under 1 block, plenty of night training, and the training and handling discipline is not strict at all. No range officers to bother you either.

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    First of all Thank You for your Service!!!
    Not sure what your disability's are and depending on what you can or can not do.
    We have a couple options you can choose from.

Steel Challenge - There are 8 official stages, Only one of those stages is there movement on the clock. I run the only Steel Challenge club in South LA. LSS- Louisiana Speed Shooters. We typically only run 6 to 7 of the offical stages on our given weekend. Second Sunday of each month.
    The only stage where there is movement on the clock is call Outer Limits. We do not run this stage every month, we rotate between Out Limits and Speed Option.
    You can pretty much run anything you have including Rimfire.
    Rimfire- Rifle or pistol is started from the low ready and centerfire is from the holster.
    Check out the Steel Challenge website for more info. https://scsa.org/
    Also here is the link to where you can sign up to our shoot our Steel Challenge match. Our next SC Match will be going live either Sunday Evening or Monday morning.
    You will have to join Practiscore in order to sign up. It's free to join.

GSSF - Glock Spork Shooting Foundation - This type of competition is geared towards the new shooter looking to get into competition shooting.
    Outdoor matches, There are only 3 stage - Glock M, 5 to Glock and Glock Plates.
    All stages are started from the low ready. There is no movement.
    Glock M and 5 to Glock have 3 strings of fire and Glock Plates will have 4 strings of fire.
    Indoor League - GSSF have set stages for the indoor leauge and which stage design is up to the hosting range. You can check out GSSF.pro for all the possible stage designs.
    A few of the indoor ranges also hold a indoor GSSF match, typical once a year. The match is once a month for 3 months. The 2 local ("South Louisiana") they are done with yearly GASF Match. You have Bayou Dragon in Marrero, LA. they hold GSSF Matches all year long.

You will have to join the GSSF in order to shoot the GSSF matches (Indoor or Outdoor).
    Memberships is only $35 for you first year and renewals each year after is only $25.

I'm also hosting an outdoor GSSF Match on November 11 & 12 at Palo Alto in Donaldsonville, LA.
    Check out our FB page for more info. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090946869089

Check out GSSF.pro for more info about the types of GSSF Match.

USPSA- This is a run and gun style match, of you you chose can be a speed walk, walk or waddle and gun style match. We have many local clubs in south Louisiana.

* You have LPS - Lafayette Practical Shooters at Sentry Defense in Youngsville, LA. they hold an Indoor USPSA Match every Thursday night .

* You have CAS- Cajun Action Shooters (USPSA) in Donaldsonville, LA. at Palo Alto rifle and pistol clubs. we shoot the first Sunday of the month. We have a match is Sunday.
    1393 Highway 943 North
    Donaldsonville, LA. 70346

* You have LSS- Louisiana Speed Shooters. (Steel Challenge) - in Donaldsonville, LA. at Palo Alto rifle and pistol clubs. We shoot the Second Sunday of the month.
    1393 Highway 943 North
    Donaldsonville, LA. 70346

* You have EAPS -East Ascension Practical Shooters (USPSA) - in Gonzales, LA at the Ascension Sheriff’s Range.
    9134 S St Landry Ave
    Gonzales Louisiana 70737
    We shoot on the 3rd Sunday of each month.

* You have TANGI - Tangipohoa Practical Shooters (USPSA) - in Amite, LA. At the Sheriffs Range. We shoot on the 4th & 5th Sunday of each month.
    Storey Road
    Amite, LA. 70422

Last edited:

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    As far as dedicated competitions for vets I don't know of any that are specific to Vets.

Now as far as the competitions I have listed above. All have a classification system.
    USPSA - you have GM- Grand Master, M- Master, A, B, C, D and U- Unclassified.
    Steel Challenge - Same as above.

GSSF- Master and Amature. I would say 85%+ fall in the Amature class. I order to achieve Master in GSSF you have to be a master classification or higher shooter in most other types for shooting competitions USPSA, SC, etc.
    Or win 3 pistols on placement only in any of the outdoor GSSF Matches held throughout the U.S.

Keep an eye out in the Competition section of Bayou Shooters. I post up all the time for USPSA, Steel Challenge and GSSF matches weekly!

Top Bottom