Noob looking to get into hog hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    Never been hunting before, I've been wanting to try hog hunting for a long time and have some friends that are also interested and like to go with me. Now that I live in a place where it's very accessible and I have the money to do it I'd love to go on my first hunt within the next 2 or 3 months. So I have some questions for those more experienced than me, sorry if they've been asked many times before.

1. Where are some good places in South LA for hog hunting? Are the WMAs good ground?
    2. I have a good AR-15 with a 1-3x scope that'd I'd like to use, but is .223/5.56 powerful enough for hogs or should I invest in a .308?
    3. About what's the average distance most hogs are killed around here?
    4. Do you prefer semi-autos or bolt actions?
    5. What kind of camo works best around here?
    6. Any good books or websites you'd recommend for new hog hunters that cover general advice, tactics, etc?

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Personally I'd feel under gunned with a 5.56 AR.
    Be damned careful hogs can and do attack viciously (read a few write ups in La Sportsman).
    Hogs range from new born to 300lb+ beasts, most killed are 30-100 lb range but there are brutes out there.
    100 yards is fairly common but some are shot point blank and some are shot at 300 yards and everything in between.
    Ive hunted with a Browning .308 BLR , some like bolt guns, some like semis just preference I guess.
    Try to get in with an experienced hog hunter before several new hunters head out on their own.

Last edited:

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Been hog hunting several times in LA(Lower Alabama). Never killed any though. Big hog winded me before I got my safety off. IMHO, if an ar 15 is what you've got use it. I've spent a lot of time reading about the subject at 68forums.com. They are wily beasts, with acute senses and big brains respectively. Many prefer a neck shot, between the base of ear and tip of shoulder. Their anatomy is different than deer. So the typical deer target zone tends to be a lower percentage shot. Also, from what I've witnessed they don't always take their time like deer, often moving from a to b fairly quickly. Good huntin'.

walterg recently posted about hog hunting he may have some tips, as will others.

Last edited:

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I love to hunt them too but have no place to do it. Most WMA's are very restrictive on what hours and what types of weapons you can use. 99% of the land in Louisiana is privat so it will be posted. Best bet is to find a hunting club that has then and join.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    All of you that want to get started need to:

1. Call Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries,
    2. Inquire about hog hunting on WMA's, and Lottery Hunts,
    3. Inquire on Bayou Shooter about your desire to try Hog Hunting, (Done)
    4. Post your inquiry to various papers, web sites classifieds, etc.,

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    We used to kill hogs up and down the Red River with ease.

Now days, I hear it's even easier. But we never used Dogs.
    Guess that's a new thing and now they like to pin them down and kill them with a knife.
    I know a few guys here in SWLA that ONLY allow the Dog Owner to carry a gun when they go.
    It's supposedly a primal rush to jump on a pinned down hog and stab it to death. Sounds like fun....

BUT! as Dave mentioned, they're no chumps.
    EVEN if using dogs.

can you see this? > https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=409036305895716

that's a bad ass boar right there....

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Swine Mercenary for hire. Any compensation other than cheap beer or bbq will be politely refused.

I require location of private land and expressed permission.

Will not use helicopters, automatic weapons, or explosives unless gently encouraged by peer pressure.

Last edited:

Kilroy301

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    For a semi auto an AR-15 using a heavy 64 to 69 grain bullet would work or if ya want to use a bolt action, Savage makes a pretty nice Hog Hunting .308, both are great for stalking or tree stand shooting.

Like in the previous post most hogs are taken around 25 to 200 yards so be careful if you chose to stalk them as they can charge right after ya if feeling threaten.

the dubshow

master plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Caution on WMAs. I learned some expensive lessons. Most of the time is ONLY birdshot 12ga or rim fire. Even if you are hunting hogs (no limit, problem animal) you can have anything other than allowed guns. DONT have buckshot on you. DO not bring an AR unless it's deer season when you are allowed all other weapons. And be sure to have a permit for whatever you are doing.

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    I put a good shot on a hog with .223 once at about 40 yards. Didn't do the trick, at least not fast enough to be able to recover it. If you have a .308 go with that just to be safe.

Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    I put a good shot on a hog with .223 once at about 40 yards. Didn't do the trick, at least not fast enough to be able to recover it. If you have a .308 go with that just to be safe.

I've shot several with my .223 AR, head or neck shots, none ran more than a few steps before falling.
    It isn't the caliber, it's the placement. A friend of mine has dropped several in the 100lb range with his .17HMR. All head shots, right under the ear.

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    I've shot several with my .223 AR, head or neck shots, none ran more than a few steps before falling.
    It isn't the caliber, it's the placement. A friend of mine has dropped several in the 100lb range with his .17HMR. All head shots, right under the ear.

I made a double lung shot like on a deer. It's not enough for that. But I agree if you headshot that does it.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    I made a double lung shot like on a deer. It's not enough for that. But I agree if you headshot that does it.

Wow. As a bow/handgun hunter I can say from experience it doesn't take much to make a double-lunger on a deer. If the chosen rifle can't even do that it's pretty marginal for big game hunting.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Shot placement is key, but ammo selection is also a factor. There are several full power .223/5.56 rounds on the market that will do just fine on hogs and deer.

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agreed, shot placement is key. However, consider this: there are more deer killed in the US every year with a .22 long rifle than any other caliber gun. Given that, when your buddy who was a non-hunter comes to you and wants to know what kind of rifle he should buy to start deer hunting, are you gonna tell him to get a .22? I think not!! Use enough gun! GW

Guitarmaster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    Does anyone on here have a group hunt or anything in the near future in SE LA? I bought an AR last week and will be sighting it in tomorrow actually and would love to contribute to getting rid of a few hogs.

Top Bottom