Noobie question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captaingooch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Is stalk hunting done in Louisiana? I do not mind sitting in the stand but I do like the idea of moving through the woods. I would be on public land mostly in Louisiana and private land in Mississippi. This is mostly for deer.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Sounds like a terrible idea for public land. Some dipshit drinking beer is going to mistake you for Bambi.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Stick to private land for sure. Make sure you know the terrain and the likelihood of who else might be around beforehand. Make sure someone knows your plan and when you are coming out. Year before last a guy got killed in his ghilly suit stalking hogs with a bow. Didn't find him for three days. Wasn't shot by another hunter, just fell down a ravine broke his thigh and bled to death.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Is it done in Louisiana? Yes.
    Would I do it on public land? Hell no.

The only way I would be doing any stalking would be on private land that I personally own and didn't give anyone else permission to be out there.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    I was in a country store one season opening day afternoon when a nimrod came in to buy another box of thuty-thuty. Someone asked if he got the deer and he said all he had all day was "sound shots." Every time he heard some leaves rustling on the other side of bushes, he would shoot into the bushes and then go see if he hit anything. I've never hunted on opening day on public lands since that day.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    My old man and I have stalked many times on public and club land in Mississippi. Usually between the morning and evening hunt. Usually people dont sit through mid-day so you likely won't mess up anyones hunt. Orange is required and I strongly suggest it on any land that isn't your private little honey-hole.

Mid-day stalking can be pretty successful on the really cold days deer like to find cut-overs a layout like a woman sun-bathing. You got to be quick with the muzzle and you dang well better know whats behind your target (maybe not as much with a bow). If you get a shot off at a deer with a bow on a stalk I will be impressed, so good luck and let us know how you make out.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I stalk hogs on WMA property all hunting season (22 trips to Pearl this past season). Rarely do I see people and never have I heard a shot that was too close. However, I head straight in (deep) or otherwise go places other hunters are not going. The deeper you go the less likely you will run into some wizard taking a leak near signs and the better the hunt is. Purchase a backpack-able game cart to get gear out (less than $100). The deeper you go into WMA the less likely you are to see other hunters and the more game you will see. The cart gets the beasts out. Always wear orange vest and cap. I understand a lot of people don't like to stalk in WMA, but in three seasons I've never had an issue.

Top Bottom