Nook or Kindle? - Updated

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I bought my mom a kindle to use when waiting at the infusion clinic in Little Rock. They have nailed the ereader thing, the clear screen and battery life make it the perfect book replacement.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    I appreciate all of the help!

I'm not big on the Ipad suggestion (even though I can see the plus side of it)...I've tried using the PC version of the Nook and Kindle readers and a back-lit display kills my eyes after only a short time, plus I have a netbook to surf the net, check email, etc...What I'm really wanting is a dedicated e-reader....I have wireless available at home and at work so 3G isn't a necessary feature for me either...

I'm really starting to like the Nook/Nook Color - esp. since I can also borrow online from my local library with these (which Kindle doesn't allow me to do).

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Only people who like reading novels in their ipads are people who have never used an eink reader. They don't understand the difference in the displays. The eink displays can be read in bright sunlight with zero glare and no eye strain I just finished a 700 page novel on my kindle and hardly put it down for this last week. I like sitting outside with the dog and reading my kindle in the direct sunlight. Try that with an iPad.

Plus the kindle is so cheap i don't feel bad reading it in the pool or bath. If it gets wet it's not a big loss like the iPad.

Plus you only have to charge it about once a month.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Only people who like reading novels in their ipads are people who have never used an eink reader. They don't understand the difference in the displays. The eink displays can be read in bright sunlight with zero glare and no eye strain I just finished a 700 page novel on my kindle and hardly put it down for this last week. I like sitting outside with the dog and reading my kindle in the direct sunlight. Try that with an iPad.

Plus the kindle is so cheap i don't feel bad reading it in the pool or bath. If it gets wet it's not a big loss like the iPad.

Oh holy cow! I never thought of that bonus. I miss my novels in the bathtub but I love the portability in the e-readers everywhere else.

I've looked at the eink. I don't find any trouble with reading on the iPad though so that was never an issue. What about reading with polarized sunglasses though? That is my only complaint when we're riding and I try to read. Since my ilasik, I'm a bit more sensitive to bright sunlight so it's a bitch to read in a car without sunglasses and I'm bored if I can't.

(assuming you meant glare from the sun, and not glare from glasses due to the sun)

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Just take an ereader outside. You will see what I mean immediately. It's literally like reading off of paper.

I don't know if the kindle display is polarized. I don't have polarized glasses just because of my iPhone.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Another nook color owner here.
    I like mine. Going to root it soon, and use it as an android tablet.
    It was a toss up between the nook color, and kindle 3G.
    The only thing lacking on the color is the 3G capability.
    Battery life is decent, and is easy enough to use.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Unfortunately, the Nook Color doesn't use e-ink. It is just a plain old LCD screen like the ipad. Don't look at a Nook Color and think that's what an e-reader is supposed to look like. If you doubt me, just ask the salesperson at Barnes and Noble to walk outside with you in the sun and compare the Nook Color to the regular black and white Nook. You will see what I mean right away.

http://www.davidderrico.com/e-ink-vs-lcd-whats-the-difference/

iPad_Kindle2_sun.jpg

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    The Nook color has a backlit screen.
    The regular Nook doesn't.

The advantage of the backit screen is that you can read it in bed with having to have a light on.

And I have an i-pad, i-phone, and laptop so I have plenty of access to the web.

I use the Nook strictly for reading books.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    im not impressed by the kindles, ive played with a few. what i hate is needing a light to read an electronic device.

ive owned several models of the franklin e-bookman, one lasted me thru iraq.

now i use my ipod touch 8gb. it is easy to read with, and super portable. downside is it takes several apps to read older style ebooks.

if you buy the books from amazon/b&n/etc they are good to go with one app.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Went shopping for one before I came offshore. I handled the Nook, Nook Color, and Kindle...

The Kindle felt....well....kind of "cheap"....I know it's supposed to be thin and light, but all of the little plastic buttons really turned me off to it...Only plus side, is that you can get a basic Kindle for only $114 if you're willing to put up with a few adds....

I really liked the Nook Color...except for the back-lit LCD screen when trying to read...I thought the whole purpose of an e-reader was to read like a book in order to be easier on the eyes?...If I really wanted a tablet, I would just pay the extra money and go with the Motorola or Ipad instead... :eh:

I settled on the basic Nook w/ Wi-Fi only (I also bought a padded case for travel)....On sale for $119...Apparently they're closing them out in anticipation of the upcoming Nook Simple Touch reader....I got exactly what I wanted - a basic e-reader and, for it's intended purpose, it works great. It feels more "durable" to me than the Kindle. Prior to buying, I talked to someone who has owned both, and they prefer the Nook over the Kindle as well for that same reason.

So far, I've only read one complete book on it and I have started on another one....

I do have a few very minor complaints, but other than that, I'm very satisfied overall...

Thanks again for the input and suggestions!

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    MY wife and I are making the same decision... think we're going to go with the Kindle. I like being able to read in the sunlight, and there is a case with a light for reading at night. The Kindle WILL support Library Lending this year as well. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002Y27P3M"]http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002Y27P3M[/ame]

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    Given the two choices you originally gave, I'd go with a Nook Color. However, over all, I'd go with an ipad. But it's different with each person, it depends on where you usually are. Yes, the ipad is difficult to read in direct sunlight. So if you sit outside and read, then it's probably not the best choice for you. I, however, stay inside as much as possible when I'm not at work, so that's not an issue with me. I prefer to not be drenched with sweat, lol.

The great thing about this time period is that we have such a great selection of electronics to choose from. Good luck.

~r~
    p.s. disregard, didn't see that you had already purchased one.

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder

This.

The battery last forever... A ipad wont last long reading a book.

The screen is great. E ink is insane being just like paper.

Amazon store kicks ass with all the books.

Get lights out by David Crawford.

Top Bottom