Norinco Model 97 Clone Trench Gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Has anyone shot one of these? If so how did they do? Kinda worried about the Chinese remake.........considering using it for a home defense gun.

Lots of folks use them in the cowboy type matches. I've fired a couple of different ones and was not really impressed to be frank. Had hang ups with perhaps weakened springs from feeding tube, ?????, not sure as it wasn't my gun (the one with problems described).

So...I am assuming you want the nostalgia factor? If so, choose a double imo. MUCH simpler and has ZERO issues to consider. Pretty much load, aim, pull trigger, boom.

If you're not into nostalgia, then go with a more modern design for home defense. Cheaper that route too, depending how you want to mod it up, or even if you want to mod it up (nothing wrong with bead sights, standard finishes, no rails, etc.).

Just my solicited .02. Don't want to come across as Mr. Knowitall, but I've shot two, and both had problems in feeding. Sorry. Not for me. Not for defensive purposes anyway. Hope this helps.

WINGBONE2

WINGBONE2
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    Livingston Parish, Louisiana
    Lots of folks use them in the cowboy type matches. I've fired a couple of different ones and was not really impressed to be frank. Had hang ups with perhaps weakened springs from feeding tube, ?????, not sure as it wasn't my gun (the one with problems described).

So...I am assuming you want the nostalgia factor? If so, choose a double imo. MUCH simpler and has ZERO issues to consider. Pretty much load, aim, pull trigger, boom.

If you're not into nostalgia, then go with a more modern design for home defense. Cheaper that route too, depending how you want to mod it up, or even if you want to mod it up (nothing wrong with bead sights, standard finishes, no rails, etc.).

Just my solicited .02. Don't want to come across as Mr. Knowitall, but I've shot two, and both had problems in feeding. Sorry. Not for me. Not for defensive purposes anyway. Hope this helps.
    Thats what I was wanting, to hear from someone that actually shot one. Its not the nostailgic look I was after, its the WWII look. I'm gona leave it alone, Thanks Man! I was trying to justify another reason to get it as for the home defense part. My defense shotgun for home is actually a Rem 870 Express Turkey Gun, 21 in barrel with Sure Shot Obcession stock & forearm. Thanks Again!

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

But what if you just want a 97? :D

WINGBONE2

WINGBONE2
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    Uh...then buy a WINCHESTER 1897. It's not like you can't find them. Saw a reblued one at Cabella's last month, wanted $400 plus for it, and it seemed to work fine. But it wasn't a "Chinkchester". :)

The "Chinkchester" clone is $350-$450. The model 97's & model 12's that are actually military surplus are about $2500- $3500, or the ones I seen on Gun Broker awhile back was.

WINGBONE2

WINGBONE2
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't most consider WWII era to be "nostalgic?"

Forgiven, I am putting together a group of guns that family and friends have used in WWII, Korea, & Viet Nam. I have already got surplus 1911's, and M1 Carbines. One of my Grandpa's friends (who passed away last summer) was in the Marines in WWII. He fought at Iwo Jima & Okinawa. He had the Winchester shotgun. This old man was just like a Grandpa to me also.........so this my friend is why I want that gun. Its not the "nostalgic" look, its just because thats what he carried. From the report above I will not be purchasing one. I'm looking into options on possibly converting a Model 97 into a look alike. Thanks to all for the help.

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Forgiven, I am putting together a group of guns that family and friends have used in WWII, Korea, & Viet Nam. I have already got surplus 1911's, and M1 Carbines. One of my Grandpa's friends (who passed away last summer) was in the Marines in WWII. He fought at Iwo Jima & Okinawa. He had the Winchester shotgun. This old man was just like a Grandpa to me also.........so this my friend is why I want that gun. Its not the "nostalgic" look, its just because thats what he carried. From the report above I will not be purchasing one. I'm looking into options on possibly converting a Model 97 into a look alike. Thanks to all for the help.

Pick up a $300-$400 one, ether cut down or not.
    I recomend AGAINST trying to fake the markings, but you'll need a heat sheld and bayonet lug.

I believe I have a heat sheld in one of my parts boxes, but I'd haveto look in October.

WINGBONE2

WINGBONE2
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    Pick up a $300-$400 one, ether cut down or not.
    I recomend AGAINST trying to fake the markings, but you'll need a heat sheld and bayonet lug.

I believe I have a heat sheld in one of my parts boxes, but I'd haveto look in October.

I would appreciate a chance at it, if you have one. I will not try to duplicate the markings and cartouches. Do you know where I can possibly find a bayonet lug?

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I would appreciate a chance at it, if you have one. I will not try to duplicate the markings and cartouches. Do you know where I can possibly find a bayonet lug?

Sarco Inc
    Numrich Arms

are two that come to mind. Buy a Shotgun News and puruse the pages. You'll see a LARGE selection of US military parts there but...IIRC, the "Chinkchester" comes in a heatshield/bayo lug variant, so if you go that route, why not have it all done at one time. You usually end up cheaper that way imo, although MANY of the die hard franken AR builders on the forum will disagree :).

Good Luck with your project.

T8T3R

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    I stumbled across this site looking to do the same thing with my '97. I have a Cimarron Arms Model '97 and have had no problems with it as yet. I have had a few Norinco's, various models of weapons and have had nothing but trouble with that brand. If you're still interested in a good inexpensive shotty, check out Cimarron Arms. Located in TX.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I stumbled across this site looking to do the same thing with my '97. I have a Cimarron Arms Model '97 and have had no problems with it as yet. I have had a few Norinco's, various models of weapons and have had nothing but trouble with that brand. If you're still interested in a good inexpensive shotty, check out Cimarron Arms. Located in TX.

Doesn't Cimarron just import them from Norinco?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom