Norinco SKS 7.62x39

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TriggerLube

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Prairieville, LA
    Folks,

I picked up a Norinco SKS 7.62x39 over the weekend. i'm not sure the year of manufacture, but I have a few questions. It came with the stock 10 RD mag, one stripper clip, a 30 RD magazine, and a sling. I've been researching a bit on the internet and found claims that the 30 RD mag has trouble feeding at times. Is that true?

Also, it has stock iron sights on it. Per my reading, I'll give up use of the stripper clip (and will have to go to the 30 RD mag) if I put a scope on top. I've heard of a side-mount flip-up scope... does that exist? I haven't been able to find anything online.

Are these rifles dependable? I won't be doing much more than plinking at the range with it, but I would like to become proficient with it and potentially compete with it at 100-300 yds.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tim

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    They are excellent shooters. I do not know of any feeding problems with the 30 round mags. If you make changes to the rifle I would recommend that you not do anything that cannot be changed back to its original condition. If you decide to sell it later it will be worth more in its original unaltered condition.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    First and foremost, strip down the bolt and make sure there is ZERO cosmoline/gunk in the firing pin channel.

Other than that, SKS's in factory configuration are VERY dependable and accurate rifles. Most complaints about reliability come only after they've been bubbafied with aftermarket parts. Most of the 30rd aftermarket mags are junk, I wouldn't even bother with it.

They are not a very good platform for mounting optics, and I've yet to see a good scope mount for them that will actually hold zero. I gave up a long time ago, so maybe there's something out there now someone else can chime in on. By design they are accurate rifles, however the majority of available ammo (primarily Russian production) isn't. The 7.62x39 round is capable of 300yds, but probably not at a competition level unless you buy/load some premium ammo.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    On the reliablility and accuracy speed nailed it.

As for the aftermarket high cap mags, go with Tapco 20rd mags and you wont be disapointed!

Now the scope issue, first Id like to say, with the factory iron sights you should have no issues plinking steel targets from 100-300 yards.
    but if you would like a scope, they do make a nice rock-solid scope mount that replaces the rear sight. Click Here.

As far as resale value, unless you have a very special sks, I believe you could get more for it with the high cap mags.
    Although there are the purist who wont be happy you removed the fixed mag.

Jester

I thought it was funny...
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    New Orleans Area
    They also make a scope mount that replaces the rear bolt cover.
    I have tried this cover on Norinco, Russian Tula, and a Yugo.
    Fit was different on all three, from "oh my god, that may break my retaining bolt" to rattletrap loose.

I'm not sure how it would be on your weapon, but I second the note above - the iron sights are clean and accurate.

OtisDriftwood

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I got a Norinco recently too, but havn't had the chance to shoot it yet :curse:

All of my research leans towards leaving it alone. I've heard of several feeding issues with detachable mags, the rifle wasn't made for 'em. As far as a scope goes, I'm an iron sights kinda guy... guess that's the answer, depends on what you like. I wouldn't forego the ability to use stripper clips for a scope. There is a rail that mounts on the back of the bolt cover, but I've heard of issues with it fitting properly.

Ditto on cleaning the bolt out... it's easy to do, just take it completely apart, put the whole assymbly in a pot of simmering water. Some people go for a spring loaded firing pin, but it really isn't necessary. If your just trying to avoid a slamfire, cleaning will suffice.

Last edited:

sam4freedom

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Zachary
    Hey Otis, glad to see you signed up here. I'm the one who told you about Sherburne on the other site. Welcome aboard. Lots of great info here!

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    All of my research leans towards leaving it alone. I've heard of several feeding issues with detachable mags, the rifle wasn't made for 'em.
    QUOTE]

Wether the rifle was made to use high cap mags or not,the Tapco mags are made for the SKS! I, my dad, and every friend I have that owns an SKS uses them and the only issue I have seen or heard of is, the mag is hard to take in and out or its just to tight of a fit in the mag-well, this is easily fixed with a little light sanding, and in no way will affect the function of the rifle or the ablility to re-install the factor fixed mag.

Then again I hate stripper clips, and I like to gun to go bang more times between reloads:D

Top Bottom