NOT A SALE ***Trading this weekend***

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TriggerLube

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Prairieville, LA
    Just looking for some input -

I am an avid shooter but not too knowledgable about firearms in general - brands, quality, etc.... lack of experience and time for it really...

Nonetheless, I've decided to trade my G36 (subcompact .45) with 4 mags and one mag extension plus a few concealed carry holsters and leftover ammo in exchange for a .38 cal Ruger Security Six in pristine condition and a Bersa Thunder .380 that was purchased used BUT used only by a certified firearms instructor and his students... plus ammo for both guns and a holster for the Bersa.

Good? Bad? Ugly? Stupid? Awesome?

Light it up!

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I personally would not do it.
    If you dont like the glock sell it outright..
    bersa in perfect condition 225, most
    the ruger sec. I am not sure but I would not get rid of the 45

Bama2LA

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    I personally wouldn't do it. If you sold the G36 out right you could buy those guns new and have cash left over.

What's your reason for trading it? Don't like it? too expensive to shoot?

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Not so. The Ruger Security Six is probably worth at least $300 and the Bersa-- $175-200.
    I see a Glock 36 on gunbroker right now for $400 and no bids and another for $420.
    Look up the Security Six 38 and the Bersa Thunder on gunbroker and see what those are going for and you decide. Personally I'd rather have a Security Six in 357 but you can put some hot loads in the .38 and it will take it since its a "357" chambered in 38.
    As far as what caliber is preferable to keep and shoot is a different question but the 38 will be cheaper to feed, the 380--not so much since ammo is harder to find and more expensive than the 45.

TriggerLube

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Prairieville, LA
    I don't shoot it or carry it anymore. It hasn't spent a round in quite a while. Don't get me wrong, I love a .45 and I love a Glock and I will have one again one day, but I'm just looking for a change. Something smaller to carry (the Bersa) and I learned to shoot on a .357 Sec Six years ago... this guy has it in .38.

I'm also looking for something a little more user-friendly should my wife ever have to use it. Again, I love a .45... one and done... but it hits hard.

I appreciate the input... now I've got a bit more to consider before Saturday. Thanks guys.

TriggerLube

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Prairieville, LA
    And I JUST got an offer via PM for a 2" barrel Sec Six in .357 in trade for my G36... The Sec Six hasn't been produced in 22 years and wasn't offered in 2"...???

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Not so. The Ruger Security Six is probably worth at least $300 and the Bersa-- $175-200.
    I see a Glock 36 on gunbroker right now for $400 and no bids and another for $420.
    Look up the Security Six 38 and the Bersa Thunder on gunbroker and see what those are going for and you decide. Personally I'd rather have a Security Six in 357 but you can put some hot loads in the .38 and it will take it since its a "357" chambered in 38.
    As far as what caliber is preferable to keep and shoot is a different question but the 38 will be cheaper to feed, the 380--not so much since ammo is harder to find and more expensive than the 45.

On gunbroker it's + Shipping and FFL.

Face to face saves a bit.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

What Nomad said. Tack on ~$50 to whatever sales price you get. Plus most will charge 3% if you're using a CC to purchase.

You also failed to account for the 4 mags and "assorted" ammo and holsters he has with the Glock. That's a good bit of extra value, even if you parted them out of the package.

To the OP-- I wouldn't make the trade, either.

thewiz828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Security Six were also made in 4" both blue and stainless.

Give the guy my name, I'll buy it from him.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    It's your thing...do what you gotta do.

We can't tell ya...the deal he's given you.

But...Ruger's Security Six is a pretty brute strong revolver and will easily handle the hottest .38 +p+ loads. If you have a pre warning model, there is going to be a modest collector interest in that one too, particularly if it is truly pristine. Any box/documents to back up his "new" claim?

The problem I'd have is the Bersa. Not expensive to start with (although I'm not being a gun snob) and "used by a certified instructor and his students" rings LOUD alarm bells in my noggin. I'm not getting warm and fuzzy about the potential treatment or mistreatment of this one.

Tomato/Tomatoe, Potato/Potatoe, if you want the revo, make the jump. But I'd look REAL hard at that Bersa to make sure my butt's not hurting when the deal is closed and done.

Happy Shooting.

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If you're looking for a wheel gun, the Ruger is a nice gun at a reasonable price. In excellent condition it's $300, to $325 (plated). The Bersa is a $200 gun all day long. Only if you're not wanting the Glock anymore would I trade it. You can buy a used G-36 for under $500 at some point in time if you decide you want another. Tough call to make, it's how you feel about it.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Yea, I'd want some boot for the other stuff with it or sell it separate.
    Or make him match accessories for accessories. You need a holster, speed loaders, and about 4-5 boxes of ammo for the 380. You can get 357 ammo a lot cheaper.
    I wouldn't trade a 2" Security Six for it unless he threw in about 200-250 boot.
    Maybe a little less if its stainless. Personally I prefer the GP100.

Top Bottom