Not a Taurus fan.....but....689

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Let me start that I've never been a big Taurus fan, but a while back I got a Taurus revolver from a relative. We had some "gun fun" a few weeks ago and present on the range was a S&W 686, a Ruger gp100 and the Taurus 689. All of us shot the other weapons and the owners of the S&W and the Ruger were pleasantly surprised by the Taurus 689.

I was going to sell it as I don't shoot .38 or .357 Mag but after shooting it on a couple of outings, I think I'm going to keep it for a while. It is surprisingly accurate, it grouped just as good as the other 2. And as far as fit and finish, I think the Taurus is damn good.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Let me start that I've never been a big Taurus fan, but a while back I got a Taurus revolver from a relative. We had some "gun fun" a few weeks ago and present on the range was a S&W 686, a Ruger gp100 and the Taurus 689. All of us shot the other weapons and the owners of the S&W and the Ruger were pleasantly surprised by the Taurus 689.

I was going to sell it as I don't shoot .38 or .357 Mag but after shooting it on a couple of outings, I think I'm going to keep it for a while. It is surprisingly accurate, it grouped just as good as the other 2. And as far as fit and finish, I think the Taurus is damn good.

You will never hear me gripe about Taurus. The only "problem" is that they tend to have lower resale value than their S&W and Ruger counterparts ... but that just means that finding a good used one (on the rare occasion that they're found for sale used) means less of a dent to the pocketbook.

Mike

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    My experience with Taurus was that there was always something better for the same price...

For what they ask for a new taurus revolver you can get a used Smith.

Build quality on the taurus reflects the price. I have had about 2 dozen taurus handguns in various calibers and styles, revos and pistols. I always felt like they were a step down from Ruger in quality (and I am not a Ruger fan either). Revos had sloppy cylinder fit, triggers were not so crisp, and the overall finish was just not as good. The autos varied from just sloppy to crappy fit and finish.

They seem to fill a gap in the market, but I would rather spend more and get more, or buy used. Just my take on the subject.

Taurus does not make anything that another mfg doesn't make better.

Top Bottom