Not One U.S. RIFLE CAL. .30 M1 Thread...?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garandimal

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now that that's out of the way...

Hey y'all,

Don't tell me that I'm the only Rifleman in God's Country that Shoots this fine weapon?

Latest news:

CMP will be gettin' ~ 7,000 Garands back from Turkey

Probably beaters, but will contain some Winchesters and IHC's. (for you "collector" types)

Have had pretty good luck w/ the CMP Mail-Order lottery of late, the SA Service Grades in particular.

- 1.0M Dane w/ a ME=0.00/TE=1.00 VAR Bbl. and SA USGI stamped walnut.
    - 5.8M LEAD 3-69 Rebuild w/ a ME=0.50 TE=1.75 orig. Bbl. and RA-P USGI stamped walnut.
    - 5.8M Greek Return w/ a ME=0.50 TE=1.75 orig. Bbl. and HRA USGI stamped walnut

All shoot 2>3 MOA w/ HXP ammo.

I'm out.

GR

Attachments

• Picture 003-1024.jpg
      Picture 003-1024.jpg
      133.5 KB · Views: 135
    • Picture 002-1024.jpg
      Picture 002-1024.jpg
      77 KB · Views: 106
    • Picture 005-1024.jpg
      Picture 005-1024.jpg
      36.3 KB · Views: 109
    Last edited:

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Wow, you did hit the mail in form lottery. I went to Anniston last December to pick up my first Garand, made a mistake and got one of the Springfield Specials with the new stock... It's nice and all but after a while I realized that it lacked the character of the rest of my rifles in the collection. Debating about going back to Anniston this December and getting one with an original stock. Where I allocate my funds depends entirely on the election results though. Also thanks for the heads up on the new shipment, really lifts the spirit. Just wish more M-1 carbines could find their way home, I managed to snag one that had been in Israel for the last 60 years or so.

Last edited:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I have one from CMP. Service grade Springfield. I bought a CMP stock for it but I can't get the trigger guard to close in it with the new stock so it just sits in the back of the closet for over a year. I think I have to sand the stock down on either side of the trigger guard. I know there is a 10 deg angle that you are supposed to maintain and I dont want to screw it up.

Garandimal

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Turks should also have some Carbines as well.

The CMP walnut is really pretty nice. Put a half-dozen coats of RLO (raw linseed oil) and enjoy it.

The new Criterion Bbl. and park job make it basically a new rifle. They are supposed to shoot very good too.

I got a couple of chocolate birch Service Grades a while back, and the metal and bores were also like new.

Rifles are for shootin'...

GR

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351359589.973460.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351359611.862927.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351359634.770674.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351359668.504918.jpg
    Picked it up at the Aniston store this summer H&R barrel, trigger and receiver. Barrel gauged 0+ and chamber gauged 1.

Garandimal

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have one from CMP. Service grade Springfield. I bought a CMP stock for it but I can't get the trigger guard to close in it with the new stock so it just sits in the back of the closet for over a year. I think I have to sand the stock down on either side of the trigger guard. I know there is a 10 deg angle that you are supposed to maintain and I dont want to screw it up.

Can you post a pic of the trigger group sittin' in the rifle?

If the trigger guard closes so that the end is about where the tip of the trigger is? It will close.

Put some grease on the locking studs on the bottom side (next to the mag-well cover), squeeze everything tight together, and then hammer the trigger-guard down into place with the heel of your palm or a mallet. (they use mallets at the Armory if need be)

If it won't close near to the tip of the trigger, then there is a little stock work you can do.

Let me know and I'll post you a link.

It's better, though, to get it to close as is, and let the wood crush over time and use.

Loose lock-up due to a poor fitting stock will ruin the rifle's accuracy.

GR

Last edited:

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for the tip on the Linseed Oil, I've never messed with a stock before and dunno if I trust myself to not F**k it up, do you just use a little paint brush and put it on their or?

(I'm ignorant on the subject)

Also yes, it shoots remarkably well, almsot no guess work. Set range on sight. Point downrange. Fire. I tend to get unbelievably good groups with HXP ammo from a rest. I've had several moa measurable groups (not bs moa). Tried one box of that Hornady stuff, and got well within moa at 100 yds every time. It's nuts. It's actually one of their specials they ran for $895 back then with a like new period barrel and just a new stock.

If my stock could turn out like that one from the CMP forum, I'd be one happy camper.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I have read that others recommend changing the operating rod and spring...any thoughts. It's cheap enough to do, should anything else be replaced as a rule of thumb?

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I wouldn't change anything that came from the CMP yet, shoot it many many times, but have the spare parts on hand in case a hot loaded round bends your op rod. For the most part if you shoot M2 ball, I wouldn't worry about it. The CMP armorers are supposed to put exceptionally good condition parts in when refurbishing the grade of rifle you and I bought.

Last edited:

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    Got a Dane from the CMP years back. Don't shoot it as much as I'd like. But then, I don't seem able to shoot anything as much as I'd like. Has a Winny receiver that dates from '44 if I remember correctly, and Beretta op rod and barrel. Finish is faint. Stock fit not bad. Don't have a way to measure the bore and throat erosion, but the bore's muzzle end seems worn. Shoots well though. Not a pretty gun but I'm glad to have it. I've given thought to having it rebarrelled, reparked and a new stock put on it, but by the time all that's done, I could buy a new MIA.

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    HEY, ..... any chance of us all gettin' together to visit and hold an informal M1 shoot? Got a couple buddies that have one and I think they'd like to participate. Our local range is the Lafourche Parish Sheriff's Range. Cost is $10.00 per day. Has a 100 yd and a 200 yd range. Open to the public on Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays in the Raceland area. But I'm not opposed to travelling to another area if it suits the majority. What say ye?

Last edited:

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    HEY, ..... any chance of us all gettin' together to visit and hold an informal M1 shoot? Got a couple buddies that have one and I think they'd like to participate. Our local range is the Lafourche Parish Sheriff's Range. Cost is $10.00 per day. Has a 100 yd and a 200 yd range. Open to the public on Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays in the Raceland area. But I'm not opposed to travelling to another area if it suits the majority. What say ye?

The across the course match at Palo Alto on the third Saturday in December is the annual pearl harbor match. Bring out your M1 Garands and 03A3's. Should have better than ball ammo for the 600 yard line. The Hornady ammo is great if you can't load your own. It is a great match and alot of fun. Some people come dressed in character from WWII for added fun. You can contact match director Jay Hunt or myself on here for more info.

See the last page of this link.

http://www.paloaltogunclub.com/documents/XTCProgram2012.pdf

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Any interest in the Navy .308 conversion barreled actions the CMP has? I don't care to participate in that but was just gaging interest? I am ready to get back over to Anniston but lack funds.

Garandimal

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought you were supposed to use " boiled linseed oil" . Seems like I read somewhere that raw linseed oil would stay tacky . :confused:

Boiled linseed oil is just raw that has been cut w/ mineral spirits to aid both penetration and drying.

PTO is a very good way to go, probably the best finish available for a new stock.

Will use it on the Chocolate birch twins when I get around to doin'em.

That said, I'm kind of a traditionalist and the USGI stocks I have are already most-likely RLO/BLO.

I think the key to RLO is the heat. Imagine if you pre-heat the wood w/ a heat gun and heat the RLO before you apply it? it most likely will penetrate and dry just fine.

Got a Dane from the CMP years back. Don't shoot it as much as I'd like. But then, I don't seem able to shoot anything as much as I'd like. Has a Winny receiver that dates from '44 if I remember correctly, and Beretta op rod and barrel. Finish is faint. Stock fit not bad. Don't have a way to measure the bore and throat erosion, but the bore's muzzle end seems worn. Shoots well though. Not a pretty gun but I'm glad to have it. I've given thought to having it rebarrelled, reparked and a new stock put on it, but by the time all that's done, I could buy a new MIA.

Tim over at Shuff's does both re-Bbling and re-Parks. Very good rep. and prices to match.

Get your bore gauged for the hell of it, but if it looks clean and shoots good? I wouldn't necessarily fool w/ replacing it. You could have them gauge it for you at the re-Park and swap it for a new Criterion if the TE was over ~ 6 and the ME was over ~ 3, and keep the old one as a spare. $375 dollars for both the Bbl. and Park would give you a pretty squared-away rifle.

Any interest in the Navy .308 conversion barreled actions the CMP has? I don't care to participate in that but was just gaging interest? I am ready to get back over to Anniston but lack funds.

Me...?

U.S. RIFLE CAL. .30 M1's are 30-06.

My .308 will be an M1A or LM308MWS... somethin' w/ a nice piece of glass on it.

(course, it will be the wife's, because the only way I'll be able to spring for a rig like that will be w/ the Life insurance money :D )

GR

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I do enjoy the old rifles. CMP has been the source of some great rifles and a cause of financial drain. My collection includes

CMP papered

Springfield M1D Garand with correct SA marked stock, M84 scope and accessories
    Winchester Garand with original wood
    Springfield 6 million serial number Garand

M1 Carbine

Winchester
    Inland in original configuration
    Inland Type II paratrooper

It is fun to imagine where these rifles have been. Of course you cannot really ever know but it is fun to imagine.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If you would like to keep it accurate to the period BLO would be the way to go. I've played with 100% pure Tung Oil. It's a REAL PITA to work with when compared to BLO.

Dave

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    Probably my favorite rifles to shoot. I've got two from the CMP and picked them both out at Anniston. I've got a field grade Springer mix master and an original park field grade Winny. Great guns.

Top Bottom