Not sure about law being signed off

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    How does this apply to Open Carry of firearms within 1000feet of a school? Does having a CHP in your wallet allow you to Open Carry in that Zone or does the law require that the weapon be concealed?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    How does this apply to Open Carry of firearms within 1000feet of a school? Does having a CHP in your wallet allow you to Open Carry in that Zone or does the law require that the weapon be concealed?

HB556

HLS 10RS-562 ORIGINAL
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    HLS 10RS-562 ORIGINAL HB NO. 556

HB No. 556
    Abstract: Prohibits carrying a concealed handgun on any school, school property, or school bus and authorizes concealed handgun permit holders to carry a concealed handgun within 1,000 feet of school property.
    Present law prohibits carrying a firearm at a school, or in a firearm-free zone, and creates an exception for carrying a firearm within 1,000 feet of school property when entirely on private property, entirely within a private residence, or in accordance with a concealed handgun permit issued to certain law enforcement officers.

Proposed law retains the provisions of present law and expands the exception to include all concealed handgun permit holders.

Present law prohibits carrying a concealed handgun within a firearm-free zone.

Proposed law eliminates the 1,000-foot firearm-free zone provision and includes the prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun at a school, school property, or school bus.
    (Amends R.S. 14:95.2(C)(4) and R.S. 40:1379.3(N)(11))
    Page 2 of 2

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    So it's still unconsitutional in that we can't Open Carry with or without a CHP within 1000feet. Got it. Thanks NOLACOP. Stay safe and come home soon.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    More crap law from the legislature. Under this new statute, a significant majority of the populations is deprived of the right to a handgun for self defense. Clearly unconstitutional in the wake of Heller. WTF is the matter with those morons down there, don't they get their caffeine fix daily?

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Why would anyone, other than a LEO, want to bring a gun that close to school, anyway?

Self protection? Because there are numerous shooting at schools and around schools. I read a article last year about a guy shooting kids as the left school in a parking lot next door. It was withing 1000 ft of the school so legally no one but LEO should have had a gun. Now maybe a CCW holder can make a difference legally in a case like that.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Why would anyone, other than a LEO, want to bring a gun that close to school, anyway?

If this law was not passed, you'd likely be committing a felony any time you walked in city limits due to the hodge podge layout of the school system and all of the little school zones spread through out the city. You car breaks down in a bad part of town and you have to walk, you'll probably commit a felony if you carry.

My question to you is: "Why does it matter if a law abiding citizen is carrying a firearm withing 1000 feet of a school?"

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Is that a real question on a gun forum?

Do you know how far 1000' is? Lots of places within 1000' of schools that the public you might want to go.

At my girlfriend's house there is a school across the street, one in the next block to the east and another one on the block to the north.

The place I go to pick up stuff for work is less than 1000' from school property on the other side of the woods, you can't even see it and I'm there at about 0100hrs but it wouldn't matter it would still be a felony if the law hadn't changed.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I was actually thinking about school parking lots, just never thought about the 1000' zone. No need to get upset over a question, folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom