Not you normal oil spill rant.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flatsman007

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    St.Rose
    Well alot of the initail anger I have at watching my environment and yours be destroyed to a magnitude we won't resolve in a life time, at least not mine, has subsided. I ponder many things. As we are millions of gallons and almost two months into this disaster here are a few of them:

I don't think anyone (BP or the US Government) has any intention of stopping the leak. They have a way to recover part of their losses and that is what they intend to and are being allowed to do. I also don't know nor at this point does it really matter how much oil has poored out of the well. It's is obvioulsly way too much.

I don't think any one company can be expected to rectify all that has gone wrong. This will have to be an international effort of the best experts on each subject. Such as clean up, recovery, and capping off the spill. BP needs to be required to focus all of it's efforts on stopping the flow of oil not capturing what someone feels is acceptable.

It's easy for the President to affix blame and demand full compensation like an attorney. I have done the same a thousand times so far. He is suppose to be alot smarter than I am. He has to take control with a plan not a demand. That is why he is the president.

At this point is there anything I can do as an individual to help the situation? Initially I thought as many of you did that I could go help clean some animals and environment and it would be over. Thats not going to happen at this point.

I am very saddened and sorry for the people and wildlife that will not only suffer, they will never be the same as I knew it. From a very small child these people, culture, and the great coastal environment are always and always will be a part of me, it is a part of my soul and the souls of many others. I will miss the way of life I have always known as it has and will change further.

This list of thoughts about the spill could go on for days. These are some of my thoughts on the matter and venting them to all of you in a more productive way than just bi**hing about it and blaming all involved is feeling alot better too me. Please share some of your thoughts on the disaster, you might feel better.

Please say a prayer for all of the special people, places, and creatures God put here for us. Also let's not forget the 11 that lost their lives initially.

Thanks for your time.

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    Just a thought....seems to me that oil is open to salvage rights. If communities could fine ways to collect the oil themselves...and sell it...well. With as many barrels of oil that are seeping into the gulf and onto the coast....it would help clean up and help compensate for loss. Just because it's been in salt water doesn't mean it still can't be refined and used.
    Just a thought

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Don't get me started on my theory that the US Gvt is complicit in using this " accident " to drive another nail into the economy so as to speed up a colapse that requires the aid of the UN...ya'll know the rest

Maybe I need Tin Foil, but what if I'm right

Lets hope Carl Rove and D ick Morris are right and the conservatives take back both houses there may be a chance.........could this mess run out till then ?? I dunno, but I CAN tell you that every news release is conditioning us for a longer duration of disaster????.........

I believe that we as a Christian Nation have been under progressive attack for many years, maybe before the United States were Colonies..........

Ya'll ignore him
    Wap....ouch....hey woman

She hit me

He's spending WAY too much time on prison planet

Signed
    Ms Dawg

Last edited:

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    the more i think about it the more "globs" and oil on top of the water you could get with a group of local people with plastic bags you could collect quite a bit of spilled oil. You might be able to sell it for tar or even refine it if you get enough of it.

In fact, with all the fishing and shrimp boats on the coast...couldn't something be rigged in place of fishing nets to gather oil (I've seen BP and coast guard ships doing something similar). If you can't catch fish maybe you can catch black gold

Last edited:

Grim333

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Madisonvile, La.
    One comment, one question.

The oil spilled and now being skimmed has zero commercial value. It's worthless. BP is desperately trying to find somewhere to get rid of the seawater, oily gunk, and organic material they are skimming. It's hard to find a disposal company that will take it, and it costs a lot of money to haul away and dispose.

How is BP going to recover their expenses? Or the government? I've heard a lot of comment about a supposed $75 million cap. According to the OPA90 regs, a company must first pay all cleanup costs up front, then apply for reimbursement from the spill fund - the fund is generated by a per barrel tax on oil company production. The company is eligible only if they are not guilty of criminal acts, negligence, etc. -- I doubt BP will meet this standard. Even if they do, the fund only has $1.6 billion at present. I expect BP will spend $10-$20 billion on the cleanup, so they won't recover much from the fund. Also, the fund doesn't cover fines for environmental damage and remediation costs; they will probably be $20-$40 billion, given the size of the impacted area.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    One comment, one question.

The oil spilled and now being skimmed has zero commercial value. It's worthless. BP is desperately trying to find somewhere to get rid of the seawater, oily gunk, and organic material they are skimming. It's hard to find a disposal company that will take it, and it costs a lot of money to haul away and dispose.

How is BP going to recover their expenses? Or the government? I've heard a lot of comment about a supposed $75 million cap. According to the OPA90 regs, a company must first pay all cleanup costs up front, then apply for reimbursement from the spill fund - the fund is generated by a per barrel tax on oil company production. The company is eligible only if they are not guilty of criminal acts, negligence, etc. -- I doubt BP will meet this standard. Even if they do, the fund only has $1.6 billion at present. I expect BP will spend $10-$20 billion on the cleanup, so they won't recover much from the fund. Also, the fund doesn't cover fines for environmental damage and remediation costs; they will probably be $20-$40 billion, given the size of the impacted area.

I have heard that BP profits 9 billion a day world wide, I have not heard that confirmed or denied.....and how would we know the truth

Of one thing I'm sure, as you proably are , Bp will try like crazy to hand this back to the consumer and the consumer won't get any real protection from the Fed

IMHO some form of the Fed needs to seize any and all legaly "seizable " funds from BP......
    or give each state affected 5 billion as a good faith deposit, as BP continues to clean up and move full speed ahead on remideation

IANAL.....but somehow or someway the big guy always wins, maybe this could be the turn,

I'm all for drilling in the gulf, not for destroying the gulf

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I don't think the US government intended to cause this disaster. If that were the case Obama would be handling it much better than he is.
    HOWEVER, he is doing a good job of punishing a state that voted against him. We fought his health care bill also. I read somewhere that when questioned about the lack of work due to the 6 month moratorium on drilling his response was that unemployment was available to those workers. He would like nothing better than to turn LA into a welfare state. Destroying both the fishing and oil industry here is a good way to accomplish that.

Grim333

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Madisonvile, La.
    From BP annual financial statement, available on the internet.

Revenue in billion $ (money taken in, before expenses):
    2007 - 291
    2008 - 367
    2009 - 246

Profits, after taxes, in billion $:
    2007 - 21
    2008 - 21
    2009 - 17

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    From BP annual financial statement, available on the internet.

Revenue in billion $ (money taken in, before expenses):
    2007 - 291
    2008 - 367
    2009 - 246

Profits, after taxes, in billion $:
    2007 - 21
    2008 - 21
    2009 - 17

What's that, about 6 -7% profit on a +/-$300 BILLION investment. The government makes 15-26% pure profit through taxes with NO risk or investment. So much for the Evil Empire screwing the world for insane profits.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I have heard that BP profits 9 billion a day world wide, I have not heard that confirmed or denied.....and how would we know the truth

Of one thing I'm sure, as you proably are , Bp will try like crazy to hand this back to the consumer and the consumer won't get any real protection from the Fed

IMHO some form of the Fed needs to seize any and all legaly "seizable " funds from BP......
    or give each state affected 5 billion as a good faith deposit, as BP continues to clean up and move full speed ahead on remideation

IANAL.....but somehow or someway the big guy always wins, maybe this could be the turn,

I'm all for drilling in the gulf, not for destroying the gulf

9 B$/day profit - WOW. See post above for a dose of reality.
    As far as BP "handing this back to the consumer", gas prices are set by worldwide supply and demand - one company can't dictate prices. Their profit margin will suffer and will be eventually paid for by their stock holders.
    You really want to set a precident for feds to seize private funds when a corporation has already pledged to pay for the damages? You should be working for Obammy.
    Nobody is for destroying the Gulf, including BP. Take a deep breath.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    9 B$/day profit - WOW. See post above for a dose of reality.
    As far as BP "handing this back to the consumer", gas prices are set by worldwide supply and demand - one company can't dictate prices. Their profit margin will suffer and will be eventually paid for by their stock holders.
    You really want to set a precident for feds to seize private funds when a corporation has already pledged to pay for the damages? You should be working for Obammy.
    Nobody is for destroying the Gulf, including BP. Take a deep breath.

Thank you very much for your helpful and educational comments

Glad to know everything is going to be ok and that the worlwide market is setting oil prices, I'll surely sleep better knowing that

and to know that we have BP's word on what they make and profit, good honest info from the people that brought you the worst environmental disaster the world has seen

I'm taking a deep breath alright...........whew

Wheres my gitar.......oh yea.....ya'll sing along now ....kum by yah

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Just a thought....seems to me that oil is open to salvage rights. If communities could fine ways to collect the oil themselves...and sell it...well. With as many barrels of oil that are seeping into the gulf and onto the coast....it would help clean up and help compensate for loss. Just because it's been in salt water doesn't mean it still can't be refined and used.
    Just a thought

I was looking at the mid east clean up ships, it looks like they pump seawater on, clean it up, keep the oil and pump water back into .....the water

Not a ening geer here.....just sayn water is cleaned in other places, why not the gulf of illegal alien

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Thank you very much for your helpful and educational comments

Glad to know everything is going to be ok and that the worlwide market is setting oil prices, I'll surely sleep better knowing that

and to know that we have BP's word on what they make and profit, good honest info from the people that brought you the worst environmental disaster the world has seen

I'm taking a deep breath alright...........whew

Wheres my gitar.......oh yea.....ya'll sing along now ....kum by yah

Once again, you just LOVE posting crap. If you would have done a little research, you could have said something like THIS instead of negative thoughts.

BP to Donate Net Revenue from MC252 Well Leak to Protect and Rehabilitate Wildlife in Gulf States

Release date: 08 June 2010
    As part of its commitment to restore the environment and habitats in the Gulf Coast region, BP today announced that it will donate the net revenue from oil recovered from the MC252 spill to create a new wildlife fund to create, restore, improve and protect wildlife habitat along the coastline of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida. The creation of this fund is over and above BP’s obligations under the Oil Pollution Act of 1990.
    BP’s net revenue from the sale of oil recovered from skimming operations and the well containment systems will be deposited into this newly-created fund. At this point, BP cannot predict the total of amount of net revenue that will be deposited into the wildlife fund. The amount of funding will be contingent upon the amount of oil collected during operations and the price at which the oil is sold. BP will provide regular updates on the amount of proceeds being deposited into the fund.

ClickHERE FOR STORY

oh look! Here is another...

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- BP said Tuesday it is selling the oil collected from its spill in the Gulf of Mexico and plans to put the money toward restoring wildlife in Gulf states.

It's not clear how much money BP stands to donate by selling the oil. BP has collected about 64,650 barrels of crude from the spill as of Tuesday morning and oil is selling at around $70 a barrel. That totals about $4.5 million, but only part of that money is controlled by BP because it only owns part of the lease on the well.

Click HERE

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Once again, you just LOVE posting crap. If you would have done a little research, you could have said something like THIS instead of negative thoughts.

BP to Donate Net Revenue from MC252 Well Leak to Protect and Rehabilitate Wildlife in Gulf States

Release date: 08 June 2010
    As part of its commitment to restore the environment and habitats in the Gulf Coast region, BP today announced that it will donate the net revenue from oil recovered from the MC252 spill to create a new wildlife fund to create, restore, improve and protect wildlife habitat along the coastline of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida. The creation of this fund is over and above BP’s obligations under the Oil Pollution Act of 1990.
    BP’s net revenue from the sale of oil recovered from skimming operations and the well containment systems will be deposited into this newly-created fund. At this point, BP cannot predict the total of amount of net revenue that will be deposited into the wildlife fund. The amount of funding will be contingent upon the amount of oil collected during operations and the price at which the oil is sold. BP will provide regular updates on the amount of proceeds being deposited into the fund.

ClickHERE FOR STORY

oh look! Here is another...

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- BP said Tuesday it is selling the oil collected from its spill in the Gulf of Mexico and plans to put the money toward restoring wildlife in Gulf states.

It's not clear how much money BP stands to donate by selling the oil. BP has collected about 64,650 barrels of crude from the spill as of Tuesday morning and oil is selling at around $70 a barrel. That totals about $4.5 million, but only part of that money is controlled by BP because it only owns part of the lease on the well.

Click HERE

Thanks ..... ( singin 2nd verse of kumbuyah )

Amazing, all the BP apologist's are on the same page,

BP kills people from criminal negligence, kills huge amounts of sea life and birds, contaminates multiple states' waters with oil, argues about how much they will pay, CEO wants his life back,........and we're less than 2 months of a very huge problem....

Has a 2nd well puking oil into the same gulf, or do they ?? Ask all you want, the answer is different every time anyway

LOL........ok Nick and company....have it your way

Come by here Lord, Come by here.....singin chorus now, ya'll join in....it's in Key of C

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I get so tired of capitalism being the scapegoat for governmental manipulation

(the OP asked for my thoughts)

The oil spill being just one of millions of examples. The Clinton era brought us the cap on offshore oil rig liability. There is no moral limit to how much a man or company should be liable for thier actions in the natural order of things or in any true definition of capitalism, yet once again the government stooges buy their jobs with horrific interferences into the market economy, completely clueless and unconcerned with the long term consequences of their actions.

"Oh, our liability cap is 1.75Bil, no matter how bad we f*^& uo? Well, insure it for that, and we are GTG, do whatever makes money in the short term, screw the risk!"

That is the opposite of capitalism. Capitalism is about individuals bearing risks and reaping rewards, based off of their own abilities and energies. Going back to the Railroad Barons of the 19th Century and beyond, we see the government interfering with the moral order of things, resulting in rich fat cat "businessmen" (vultures sucking off the public teat) who make catastrophic errors that no man would ever make if he knew he had to bear the results from his own wallet.

When when the masses get screwed, the government steps up and says "We need to reign in these evil capitalists with more power-grabbing legislation so we can pour more money into this corrupt system until everything is fair!" Time and again, people buy into the shell game, and blame the other party plus the people who didn't do it (the actual capitalists, kinda like how they blame the law abiding gun owners when a criminal shoots someone). Then, they let the scum who messed things up in the first place take more freedom and prosperity from everyone, in the name of making things better.

Maybe we need to unplug from the networks for a minute and flex some long atrophied muscles (between our ears). Or just let it go on, we'll be dead eventually and someone else will have to deal with it. This is the type of stuff that pisses me off.

(please note, I am not saying BP is not complicit in all these things, I am saying that is THEFT and not capitalism)

(Also note that I am all for drilling and using resources, my point is purely directed at the need for business to operate according to the natural order of things for true prosperity to develop; with a side point about the need for the citizenry to wake the F up.)

Last edited:

flatsman007

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    St.Rose
    Well put LA Carry. Our freedoms or lack of them and the part where there is no risk and all reward just don't add up in perpetuating free interprise. It truely must be nice to run a company, any company, where you have no risk of failure.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Thanks ..... ( singin 2nd verse of kumbuyah )

Amazing, all the BP apologist's are on the same page,

BP kills people from criminal negligence, kills huge amounts of sea life and birds, contaminates multiple states' waters with oil, argues about how much they will pay, CEO wants his life back,........and we're less than 2 months of a very huge problem....

Has a 2nd well puking oil into the same gulf, or do they ?? Ask all you want, the answer is different every time anyway

LOL........ok Nick and company....have it your way

Come by here Lord, Come by here.....singin chorus now, ya'll join in....it's in Key of C

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

You know what? you win... You are just old and ****ing senile...

But then again, just like the common idiot, you bring me down to your level and beat me with experience....

In the meantime, keep living your life you have and relying on the Petroleum products that you have come accustom to. Keep pumping that gas baby!!

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    You know what? you win... You are just old and ****ing senile...

But then again, just like the common idiot, you bring me down to your level and beat me with experience....

In the meantime, keep living your life you have and relying on the Petroleum products that you have come accustom to. Keep pumping that gas baby!!

OR you could look at this , its about the oil giant BP's honesty and concern for our enviornment

AP analysis: BP response plans for Gulf spill severely flawed

VENICE (AP)— Professor Peter Lutz is listed in BP’s 2009 response plan for a Gulf of Mexico oil spill as a national wildlife expert. He died in 2005.
    Under the heading “sensitive biological resources,” the plan lists marine mammals including walruses, sea otters, sea lions and seals. None lives anywhere near the Gulf.
    The names and phone numbers of several Texas A&M University marine life specialists are wrong. So are the numbers for marine mammal stranding network offices in Louisiana and Florida, which are no longer in service.
    BP PLC’s 582-page regional spill plan for the Gulf, and its 52-page, site-specific plan for the Deepwater Horizon rig are riddled with omissions and glaring errors, according to an Associated Press analysis that details how BP officials have pretty much been making it up as they go along. The lengthy plans approved by the federal government last year before BP drilled its ill-fated well vastly understate the dangers posed by an uncontrolled leak and vastly overstate the company’s preparedness to deal with one.
    Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal said Wednesday he was angry and frustrated.
    “Look, it’s obvious to everybody in south Louisiana that they didn’t have a plan, they didn’t have an adequate plan to deal with this spill,” Jindal said. “They didn’t anticipate the BOP (blowout preventer) failure. They didn’t anticipate this much oil hitting our coast. From the very first days, they kept telling us, ‘Don’t worry, the oil’s not going to make it to your coast.’ ”
    In the spill scenarios detailed in the BP documents, fish, marine mammals and birds escape serious harm; beaches remain pristine; water quality is only a temporary problem. And those are the projections for a leak about 10 times worse than what has been calculated for the ongoing disaster.
    Sen. Bill Nelson, a Florida Democrat, said in an e-mail Wednesday to the AP that he and Sen. Barbara Boxer, DCalifornia, have asked for a criminal investigation of some of the company’s claims.

LOL.even the democrats BP bought and paid for are turnin on them.......

Where's my gitar......oh yea,
    OK ya'll, everybody know " You are my Hero " or "Wind beneath my WIngs " ??..........in " C " OR

Maybe I'll write a new song, about BP's fight to save the endangered Louisiana Gulf Coast Walrus

Last edited:
    Top Bottom