Notary vs Lawyer for NFA Trust

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gilbee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Denham Springs, LA
    In Louisiana, notaries can draft trusts and many other documents that people tend to go to lawyers over…has anyone on here gone to a notary instead of a lawyer for creation of their NFA trust? If so, can someone recommend any notaries in the Baton Rouge area that are doing this?

Also, I've noticed a past thread on here where an attorney (mouthpiece) drafted a NFA trust for another member and the member was then looking for someone to notarize the document…since all Louisiana lawyers are also notaries, why wouldn't the lawyer who drafted the doc be able to notarize it as well?

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Also, I've noticed a past thread on here where an attorney (mouthpiece) drafted a NFA trust for another member and the member was then looking for someone to notarize the document…since all Louisiana lawyers are also notaries, why wouldn't the lawyer who drafted the doc be able to notarize it as well?

The client probably lived too far from the attorney to make travelling to him worthwhile.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Mouthpiece notarized mine. He also attached additional sheets for others on my trust to get notarized later, who could not make it into his office that day.

Gilbee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Denham Springs, LA
    yeah, it's gotta be the distance thing….thought I was missing something special about the mechanics of the NFA trust, but I think now it was a much less technical reason as to why it went that way

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Mouthpiece did mine, went to the clerk of court and they notarized it for $5. Easy, simple and cheap.
    As for having a notary draft the trust, it depends on who it is. A few years ago, becoming a notary wasnt all that difficult and many notaries probably couldnt draft a strong trust. Worth the few extra $$ for a good one.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Well also if you charge money for it, you then have a business interest in the transaction... it can be a grey area to draft it, take money and notarize it... I soon will be a Military notary when I am in uniform, just have a couple ranks to go up, and then I can notarize when executing my paralegal duties in the guard...

Gilbee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Denham Springs, LA
    Well also if you charge money for it, you then have a business interest in the transaction... it can be a grey area to draft it, take money and notarize it... I soon will be a Military notary when I am in uniform, just have a couple ranks to go up, and then I can notarize when executing my paralegal duties in the guard...

No, I don't see the grey area...in Louisiana (unlike pretty much every other state in the country) a notary has the ability to draft documents and get paid to do it. I would think your military induced notary commission is referred to as an ex-officio notary, which as you have noted limits what and how you are allowed to exercise those notary privileges (could be mistaken, since you're also going the paralegal route). It would likely be problematic for an ex-officio notary to do this on the side outside of their intended task, but a notary who took the exam the normal way shouldn't run into problems...my thoughts anyway

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville

When the attorney drafts the document it must be notarized by someone else. Usually another attorney in the office. This other person notarizes said document as a witness and authenticates the execution of said document.

It kind of defeats the purpose if he or she could notarize their own document.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    It is most likely a distance or timing thing. I do NFA trusts and other documents for clients all over the state. If their getting to my office or other location to meet me is not convenient from a distance or schedule standpoint, I just email the document to the client and have them execute it in front of their local notary.

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    When the attorney drafts the document it must be notarized by someone else. Usually another attorney in the office. This other person notarizes said document as a witness and authenticates the execution of said document.

Not so. an attorney cannot notarize his own signature, but it is extremely common for the attorney drafting the document to notarize the signatures of the parties.

Dan

Gilbee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Denham Springs, LA

Dan beat me to it, but this is not true. If that were the case, notaries who provide bills of sale that they draft (I know many use canned docs, but whatev) and then notarize would be committing crimes…and that happens far too often to be a crime.

freedive10

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Dan beat me to it, but this is not true. If that were the case, notaries who provide bills of sale that they draft (I know many use canned docs, but whatev) and then notarize would be committing crimes…and that happens far too often to be a crime.

Maybe I should have been more specific when I left out that key point. As Dan stated, they can not notorize thier own signature. Thanks for the correction.

Verifying as a third party witness excluded.

Last edited:

Gilbee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Denham Springs, LA
    Maybe I should have been more specific when I left out that key point. As Dan stated, they can not notorize thier own signature. Thanks for the correction.

It's probably also worth mentioning that a notary/lawyer wouldn't need to sign a document they draft like this anyway, other than to notarize the signatures of the parties involved, in which case, their signature itself can serve as their seal. That's my impression of how it works anyway...

freedive10

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    It's probably also worth mentioning that a notary/lawyer wouldn't need to sign a document they draft like this anyway, other than to notarize the signatures of the parties involved, in which case, their signature itself can serve as their seal. That's my impression of how it works anyway...

I went the LLC route so as far as a Trust, I can't say who's signatures are required. Thanks for the clarification. The last thing I want to do is add to the confusion on a very simple process. :bigok:

Working in the Maritime law section at my job, we deal with notarizations on a reg.

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    In Louisiana, notaries can draft trusts and many other documents that people tend to go to lawyers over…has anyone on here gone to a notary instead of a lawyer for creation of their NFA trust?.............

I chose an attorney (Mouthpiece) to do my trust just in case I need minor modifications done or if there is an issue in the future with ATF or another alphabet soup agency. I'd much rather have someone well-versed in the art of law representing me and doing the talking for any legal matters than little 'ole me.

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    I used Mouthpiece also and he was a great help. Very easy to work with and explained any questions that I had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom