NOVESKE?!?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'm hoping one of the professionals will over-see my work as I progress. Again, this will be my 1st upper build. The beer is on me :beer:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I haven't handled a larue or wilson combat, but I know that they are on par with Noveske. I would love to own a Wilson 1911 for sure! I also own a lot of Larue products, just no firearms. I actually found a Noveske barrel today and I will be backordering a Vltor VIS upper tomorrow. I should have the build complete in about 4-8 weeks. This will be my 1st upper build!

Careful, Vltor is not a normal company. Your 4-8 week estimate is very optimistic. You see...

Vltor is the red headed stepchild of Abrams Ariborne. The company that builds things for the military and NASA. Like the DuPonte dynasty used to be, Vltor/Abrams are 100% family. Abrams gets the best of the budget, while Vltor begs for scraps. Vltor has some amazing things, owed to the Abrams (main) side of the company and their technical abilities, but when it comes to producing, that's where Vltor falls down. Remember their Bren Ten that never was? The VIS-KM that we were told should be out months ago? Yeah, they CAN make all of this stuff, and do stellar, but Abrams holds the purse strings, and it's all family, so you can imagine the politics.

Just an FYI, Noveske has had Vltor VIS's on back-order for many months, and finally they just removed every Vltor VIS offering from their website.

That said, Vltor could ship out hundreds of VIS's tomorrow...or maybe next year. Vltor constantly tells distributors "by the end of the month...", as well. They have even told ME that on the phone when I spoke with them. Vltor is a great company and it's very frustrating for them, as well, I am sure. Their lead-times of "by the end of the month" are realistic as I understand it, contingent on being turned 'loose to fulfill their orders. Abrams holds the reins.

Just a heads-up based on what I discovered and what I read between the lines while digging for why Noveske had drug their feet so long building my SBR upper.

Last edited:

aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Careful, Vltor is not a normal company. Your 4-8 week estimate is very optimistic. You see...

Vltor is the red headed stepchild of Abrams Ariborne. The company that builds things for the military and NASA. Like the DuPonte dynasty used to be, Vltor/Abrams are 100% family. Abrams gets the best of the budget, while Vltor begs for scraps. Vltor has some amazing things, owed to the Abrams (main) side of the company and their technical abilities, but when it comes to producing, that's where Vltor falls down. Remember their Bren Ten that never was? The VIS-KM that we were told should be out months ago? Yeah, they CAN make all of this stuff, and do stellar, but Abrams holds the purse strings, and it's all family, so you can imagine the politics.

Just an FYI, Noveske has had Vltor VIS's on back-order for many months, and finally they just removed every Vltor VIS offering from their website.

That said, Vltor could ship out hundreds of VIS's tomorrow...or maybe next year. Vltor constantly tells distributors "by the end of the month...", as well. They have even told ME that on the phone when I spoke with them. Vltor is a great company and it's very frustrating for them, as well, I am sure. Their lead-times of "by the end of the month" are realistic as I understand it, contingent on being turned 'loose to fulfill their orders. Abrams holds the reins.

Just a heads-up based on what I discovered and what I read between the lines while digging for why Noveske had drug their feet so long building my SBR upper.

I'm in no rush, I have so much stuff backordered. I have 9mm magtech that I won't get until November. But, thanks for the info. Savannah at Vltor told me 4-8 weeks, but I know that these are crazy times.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Then why the heavy, short, ss barrel with a monolithic upper? Do you need all those rails? Is a heavy barrel really necessary? If its cool factor I can understand that but have you seen the new noveske NSR rail?

aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I hate to be that guy, but I like the look. Their NSR rail is really cool and I do want one of those as well. I want to complete this build before I start multiple builds. If all goes well with this build, I would like to build 2 more promptly after.

And I am glad you asked about the heavy barrel. I have never done a lightweight barrel, but I want to. My next project would be building an extremely lightweight AR, possibly sbr.

Last edited:

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Checked my Daniel Defense last night while putting on a new Larue mount, and there is zero wobble with my rifle. Was the DD you looked at an upper on another lower? or was it a complete rifle? Strange. I guess one could slip past QC like that but every one I have seen has been tight.

aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I had 2 DD's, V1 and V5. They would wobble, but they wouldn't when I put the DD upper on an LMT lower. Not a huge deal though, that was just one of the minor sellin points when it came to Noveske.

The DD's were factory built rifles btw. The V1 was manufactured in 2009ish, and the V5 was early 2012.

Last edited:

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    I had 2 DD's, V1 and V5. They would wobble, but they wouldn't when I put the DD upper on an LMT lower. Not a huge deal though, that was just one of the minor sellin points when it came to Noveske.

The DD's were factory built rifles btw. The V1 was manufactured in 2009ish, and the V5 was early 2012.

Mine is a 2008, serial is under 300. If we ever run into each other at the range, I'll let you check it out. I like noveske as well, but for the money my DD V1 has been the best out of the box AR I've ever shot.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    My experience with DD products has been nothing but titty sprinkles. I don't really care to look anywhere else unless there is a unique product I have to have. As for general items like barrels, uppers, bcgs, etc, DD is a place I'm happy to buy from with confidence.

I don't mind being able to see light between the receivers... I can see the top round in the mag when I look into the side of my M&P9. My AR15s have fired a lot of rounds and I've never had the desire to eliminate wobble, though I could see how someone feels that it's a nice bit of lagniappe to have a 'tight set' (giggity)

Noveske is good stuff in my limited experience. I've only gotten there stuff for my 300BLK build. Pretty happy with parts and quality so far.

I'm a huge fan of the DD MFR handguard. No rails where I don't want them, and only the rails I need, while keeping an appropriate balance between rigidity and light weight. I have the 9" on my 300BLK short upper, and whenever I get the opportunity, I'm getting one of their complete uppers in 5.56 with their 12" MFR

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    My experience with DD products has been nothing but titty sprinkles. I don't really care to look anywhere else unless there is a unique product I have to have. As for general items like barrels, uppers, bcgs, etc, DD is a place I'm happy to buy from with confidence.

I don't mind being able to see light between the receivers... I can see the top round in the mag when I look into the side of my M&P9. My AR15s have fired a lot of rounds and I've never had the desire to eliminate wobble, though I could see how someone feels that it's a nice bit of lagniappe to have a 'tight set' (giggity)

Noveske is good stuff in my limited experience. I've only gotten there stuff for my 300BLK build. Pretty happy with parts and quality so far.

I'm a huge fan of the DD MFR handguard. No rails where I don't want them, and only the rails I need, while keeping an appropriate balance between rigidity and light weight. I have the 9" on my 300BLK short upper, and whenever I get the opportunity, I'm getting one of their complete uppers in 5.56 with their 12" MFR

Agree 100%, particularly the titty sprinkles.

aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I bought both DD's new from impact guns, V1-$1,039.00. V5-$1,300. For the money, you can't beat it! I still own numerous DD products, just no rifles. Their rails rock!

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I bought both DD's new from impact guns, V1-$1,039.00. V5-$1,300. For the money, you can't beat it! I still own numerous DD products, just no rifles. Their rails rock!
    Yea, that's the good side to it. It's reliable quality without really being 'boutique priced' I put BCM into that category too, for their stuff, but they don't have the product line that DD does, so it's often more convenient to go with DD assemblies.

aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Yea, that's the good side to it. It's reliable quality without really being 'boutique priced' I put BCM into that category too, for their stuff, but they don't have the product line that DD does, so it's often more convenient to go with DD assemblies.

Can't get Ares Armor on the phone to save my life. They said they were out of stock last week and told me to call back within 7 days. Been calling since Monday. :run:

The husky MKii is sweet, thanks again for the recommendation J.

Last edited:

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!

That's about 400$ less than most dealer prices were on them even back in 2009. Damn. I paid $1480 out the door with only a 10% markup on my rifle through the store and 6% tax for my Version 1 in 08.

aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    That's about 400$ less than most dealer prices were on them even back in 2009. Damn. I paid $1480 out the door with only a 10% markup on my rifle through the store and 6% tax for my Version 1 in 08.

I thought that it was too good to be true, the $1,039 that is. I was expecting a box of rusty parts for that price. I was surprised to see a beautiful rifle covered in titty sprinkles.

Last edited:

aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Getting back on topic lol. I will have to Permanently attach a flash hider. Who can do that well enough so that it doesn't look like a mess.

Scratch that. Gonna kill 2 birds with 1 stone and register my lower as an SBR. Will start the process tomorrow or Monday. Advice is welcome.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I'm in no rush, I have so much stuff backordered. I have 9mm magtech that I won't get until November. But, thanks for the info. Savannah at Vltor told me 4-8 weeks, but I know that these are crazy times.
    When I called Vltor back in October, I was told the VIS-KM should hit dealers "by the end of the month". Then an E-mail from them stated "We have no ETA". Vltor is all over the map. Noveske has had the VIS/MUR on order since at least October, 2012. They finally stopped offering it as they don't have any yet.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Getting back on topic lol. I will have to Permanently attach a flash hider. Who can do that well enough so that it doesn't look like a mess.

Scratch that. Gonna kill 2 birds with 1 stone and register my lower as an SBR. Will start the process tomorrow or Monday. Advice is welcome.

Good call. I believe the reason I have a shift in POI is because of how my mount was welded on my 14.5". According to Barry Dueck, Noveske was a little bit over-zealous welding the pin and the mount likely shifted a bit because of it. I have a 4MOA shift to exactly 6 o'clock, allegedly because of that. I have not had a chance yet to test it on my SBR.

Top Bottom