NRA Adds Any Sight Match Rifle/Tactical Rifle Category to Across the Course Matches

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    3.3.2 NRA Any Sight Match Rifle/Tactical Rifle -
    Same as NRA Match Rifle Rule 3.3 except there is no restriction as to sights. The following restrictions will apply:

(a) No person firing an any sight rifle under 3.3.2 will be allowed to compete with any other group of shooters who are also firing. A competitor using any sight rifle under Rule 3.3.2 will only be eligible for awards in their own division.

(b) Bipods may be attached but not utilized. Ammunition will be restricted to no larger than .35 caliber.

OK, all of you guys who have been shying away from shooting across the course because you are worried about shooting with open sights, here is your chance. Drag out those flat topped, optically sighted rifles and come play. We will even use the "big targets" (as Ritten describes them). It should be easy. :mamoru:

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Now you have my attention.

Proposed arm is my DPMS LR308. Granted I have to take off the compensator but no big deal. Guess I need to break it in and get to the reloading bench to whip up some loads.

Now if somebody would make a single shot block for the mag ....

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Now THAT is going to open up the playing field!!! For right now I guess they'll be using the same targets as service and match rifle?

I seriously doubt that we will see much increase at all. A few years ago, the NRA allowed a special category of optically sighted match rifles to compete at Nationals. They even gave a Tubb 2000 rifle for a prize. This prize was worth more than all of the other prizes given at Nationals combined. A few existing highpower shooters shot in the scoped class. I don't know that any new shooters were recruited. The class died for lack of interest. By the way, the scoped rifle shooters were not remotely competitive with the better iron sight shooters.

I hope we get some interest. If I ever put together a flat top AR, I would shoot it on a lark. I think I could post a pretty good score. I just don't think that allowing scopes will get people who are not predisposed to the discipline of competitive shooting to suddenly get out there and do it. Most don't seem to want to know whether they can shoot without that concrete bench nor do they want to put in the time and effort to learn. I certainly have provided sufficient opportunity for them to do so.

Anyway, I hope I am proven wrong and we get a throng of new shooters for this new category.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Now you have my attention.

Proposed arm is my DPMS LR308. Granted I have to take off the compensator but no big deal. Guess I need to break it in and get to the reloading bench to whip up some loads.

Now if somebody would make a single shot block for the mag ....

What kind of compensator?

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    The wheels are already turning, this is gonna cost lots!

Dan, you should take a look at Nightforces 2 1/2 x15x50 F1 being you can almost get it for free.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Miculek, installed by Clark Custom. Same design as on my Clark Gator AR-15 platform except scaled up for the .308. I pretty sure neither are legal for service rifle.

I wasn't worried about it being service rifle legal, only what the noise level would be. To be match rifle legal, you should remove it.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    I wasn't worried about it being service rifle legal, only what the noise level would be. To be match rifle legal, you should remove it.
    You know I don't like you if I line up next to you.

The shooter knows nothing. But the guy next to him gets blasted. Problem enough with the .223 version. I'm guessing the .308 version is a couple magnitudes worse.

Let another shooter try my gun while I was in the next lane just to see how bad it was. About 3 shots and I was done. I have to be mindful of the comp whenever I drag it out.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    You know I don't like you if I line up next to you.

The shooter knows nothing. But the guy next to him gets blasted. Problem enough with the .223 version. I'm guessing the .308 version is a couple magnitudes worse.

Let another shooter try my gun while I was in the next lane just to see how bad it was. About 3 shots and I was done. I have to be mindful of the comp whenever I drag it out.

Therein lies the problem. Because you are packed pretty close together on the firing line, the brakes disturb other competitors an undue amount. That is the reason for the no muzzle brake rule in all forms of highpower except service rifle, but the service rifles are limited to the military issue brake. If you are going to try your hand at competing, you need to remove the brake.

Dan

Top Bottom