NRA Reveals Who's to Blame for Ammo Shortage: You

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    They are correct. If everyone would stop buying every box that hits the shelves it would be restocked to pre panic levels in 3 to 4 months maybe sooner. Stop paying $60 a brick for 22lr.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    On the first page of this forum (ammo & reloading) this morning there are three threads, the fewest I've seen in a while, that give a heads up as to where ammo is in stock. Those are the people who are keeping supplies low and prices high.

Ferrara Fire

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2013
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    We have plenty of ammo, what is there a shortage of? .300blk... It is my own fault I ran out of .556, but I have 10k rounds on the way. Really, only rounds I have trouble with are .22mag and .300blk

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    We have plenty of ammo, what is there a shortage of? .300blk... It is my own fault I ran out of .556, but I have 10k rounds on the way. Really, only rounds I have trouble with are .22mag and .300blk

Well at this point, .22 is going through its phase like all the Handgun calibers and .223 did.
    I'm sure it will eventually come around, but if the shelves are clearing, we're still SEVERAL months away from that happening.

But back down to what?

9mm still hasn't come back down to what it was pre-panic.
    Just a few years ago Blazer Brass 9mm was what? $9.99 per 50 rnd, and that was @ Academy.

Again just 3 years ago I can remember picking up a Fed. Bulk Box(525) of .22 @ Walmart for our annual Cochon De lait shoot.
    Price was around $13.26 tax and all, and that was up some.

But is anyone really expecting to see .22 back to around .02 a round? (Pre-Panic)
    Jeez, can you imagine what we used to pay in the 80's/90's?
    Avg. .85¢/.95¢ per 50 rnd.....sigh....

I can get .22 all day too. But NOT at a reasonable price.
    I mean, my goodness, some places still selling 50 rnd .22 for .48¢ a round!!!!!!!!!

Lucky Gunner trying to sell (one) 50 rnd Box for $35.18 shipped! Outrageous!
    http://www.luckygunner.com/22-lr-40-gr-lrn-eley-edge-50-rounds

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The .22 shortage is a false supply/demand dilemma. Here is why?

There (at least what I know), has been no shortage of the raw materials needed to make these cartridges. So why not make them around the clock? They have increased in price to meet the basic requirements of a S/D issue. Demand remains high; you have increased the price; SUPPLY THE PRODUCT (unless raw materials are not available to produce it).

Here's the example from a classic S/D scenario in seafood.

Crabmeat is a popular restaurant staple.
    Jumbo Lump crabmeat is the most desirable and most expensive.
    Louisiana/Gulf Blue Crabmeat is the species most desirable.
    Crabs (raw material), that produce this are most active in Summer.
    Temps above 40 degrees usually allow consistent harvesting throughout the year.
    Temps below (with windy weather), shuts down crab harvesting and hence production.
    Restaurant industry demand goes up in winter months.
    Supply is dramatically decreased in winter
    Price goes up to levels of what buyers are willing to pay.
    Demand from out of state (populaces with higher incomes), stays high and will pay higher than locals.
    Any Jumbo Lump from Louisiana is at a premium and is gobbled up throughout shortage!

This market comes back around in the spring/summer. However, the point: If harvesters and processors could get the raw materials, there would be no shortage! These plants would bust ass to get that product to market at least until supply ultimately outpaces demand. And in a true S/D situation the price would stabilize in correlation!

Big difference between actual shortages (production of raw materials), and not!

If .22 round was once .04 cents a round, but is now say .08 cents; that is 100% increase in price (I know it's more). Any bullet maker has to be stupid to not be working shifts around the clock to take advantage of that.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    The .22 shortage is a false supply/demand dilemma. Here is why?

There (at least what I know), has been no shortage of the raw materials needed to make these cartridges. So why not make them around the clock? They have increased in price to meet the basic requirements of a S/D issue. Demand remains high; you have increased the price; SUPPLY THE PRODUCT (unless raw materials are not available to produce it).

Here's the example from a classic S/D scenario in seafood.

Crabmeat is a popular restaurant staple.
    Jumbo Lump crabmeat is the most desirable and most expensive.
    Louisiana/Gulf Blue Crabmeat is the species most desirable.
    Crabs (raw material), that produce this are most active in Summer.
    Temps above 40 degrees usually allow consistent harvesting throughout the year.
    Temps below (with windy weather), shuts down crab harvesting and hence production.
    Restaurant industry demand goes up in winter months.
    Supply is dramatically decreased in winter
    Price goes up to levels of what buyers are willing to pay.
    Demand from out of state (populaces with higher incomes), stays high and will pay higher than locals.
    Any Jumbo Lump from Louisiana is at a premium and is gobbled up throughout shortage!

This market comes back around in the spring/summer. However, the point: If harvesters and processors could get the raw materials, there would be no shortage! These plants would bust ass to get that product to market at least until supply ultimately outpaces demand. And in a true S/D situation the price would stabilize in correlation!

Big difference between actual shortages (production of raw materials), and not!

If .22 round was once .04 cents a round, but is now say .08 cents; that is 100% increase in price (I know it's more). Any bullet maker has to be stupid to not be working shifts around the clock to take advantage of that.

The only point I see you making is that the shortage is because you don't think ammo manufactures did not increase their production when demand when up....is that correct?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The only point I see you making is that the shortage is because you don't think ammo manufactures did not increase their production when demand when up....is that correct?

If they are not working 24/7 365; they are not doing whatever it takes to take advantage of hyper-inflated prices.

I doubt (but would be open to a contrasting fact), they are in full blown overtime production of .22lr ammo.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Article from March last year with ammo manufactures claiming to be at 24 hour production...
    http://thesouthern.com/news/local/w...cle_0a8f5c56-8ec3-11e2-b473-001a4bcf887a.html

Well, there it is! Thanks for the link. This level of shortage is scary! I realize that the .22lr is the most popular / widespread cartridge in the US, but damn! :eek3:

I would love to know how many rounds are produced by one of these manufacturers in one 24 hour period. That would probably make it even harder to believe and understand.

killdee

Wanderer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    BR, LA
    OK, So I cancelled one of my backordered .22LR items from Midway today. I had accumulated 3 backorders there. Only because shipping date estimates for each item evolved from being a few months away, to almost a year away, to "unknown". I have two more backorders at Midway and as soon as one is shipped, I'll cancel the other. That's the best I can do right now to end the panic.

Ferrara Fire

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2013
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    I don't see ammo prices dropping to what they were 3 years ago. It cost dealers more than 9.99 a box for 9mm Blazer brass, that is at lowest level pricing someone other than a big box would get, think buying by the container...

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

too-damn-high.jpg

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    They are correct. If everyone would stop buying every box that hits the shelves it would be restocked to pre panic levels in 3 to 4 months maybe sooner. Stop paying $60 a brick for 22lr.

Where can I find $60 per brick .22? That's a sweet deal I tell ya! There is a big shortage so buy all u can before it's too late!!!

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    sad to say, but they are exactly correct.

this message has been approved by econ101

Yep!!

What the hell are people doing with this **** anyway? The whole appeal of the round is that it's 2 or 3 cents a pop. Who wants to go plinking away their .22 for a quarter a shot?

I bought a few thousand rounds of this stuff years ago for almost nothing. It's taken me forever to put a dent in it, probably because all I have are these ten round mags. I haven't bought any .22 in years. Probably a solid year on ammo in general.

Tons of people are whining about the prices, but these are mostly the same exact people who are going out and paying these prices. I don't get it. If everyone stopped buying this stuff shelves would be full within about a month. Prices would plummet a couple months after that.

Every time you purchase .22 at an inflated price, you are telling the retailer and the industry that you are willing to pay that price (or more).

Barring another Obama in 2016, all of these ammo prices will be coming back down (and already are). It's pure economics.

Top Bottom