NYC

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cornbread504

Drink coffee and destroy.
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Uptown NOLA
    I may or may not be going to New York for work some time in the next couple months. If it pans out I would be there for a month or two. Having carried a concealed pistol on me every day for years now, I sure would feel naked not having one in an unfamiliar city that give me the creeps a little by default. I tried some google-fu and found out that a non-res permit exists, but I'm having trouble finding links to the actual details about it. If anyone has any good resources they can share it would be much appreciated... worst case scenario is a knife and a pepper blaster unless NYC forbids those too for some reason.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Seeing as a good portion of that city is made up of immigrants- and most of the rest being liberal refuse, anyway- they're probably used to restrictive gun laws/bans already.:doh:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    From what I understand, you are required to PROVE you need a gun. And phrases like "2nd amendment" and "to defend myself" won't cut it. In other words, you need to have been directly threatened already. Even then, it's tons of money and even more paperwork. So technically you "can" get a permit, but they've made the process difficult enough that's it's essentially a form of gun control.

Honestly I wouldn't even bother.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Wow, apparently you can't even carry pepper spray unless it's the pussified NYC approved stuff, which is basically only good for dogs.

You can carry a pocket knife with blade under 4", as long as it's completely concealed (not even the clip showing). So I'd invest in a good sharp knife and a bright flashlight.

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    Be sure to pay attention to the knife issue. Do NOT have the clip of a pocket knife showing. The police there are arresting many people for having a switchblade if the officer can get the knife to open with one hand, and they are pretty good at flipping the knife to swing out the blade.

NYC is a great town. Lots to do there. I've found the people there to be friendly and helpful. But, as with any place, you have to know the rules.

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    I may or may not be going to New York for work some time in the next couple months. If it pans out I would be there for a month or two. Having carried a concealed pistol on me every day for years now, I sure would feel naked not having one in an unfamiliar city that give me the creeps a little by default. I tried some google-fu and found out that a non-res permit exists, but I'm having trouble finding links to the actual details about it. If anyone has any good resources they can share it would be much appreciated... worst case scenario is a knife and a pepper blaster unless NYC forbids those too for some reason.

Saw your Mayor on TV a couple of nights ago admitting that N.O. was the murder capital of the country. He said it was statistically safer to be in Afganistan.
    And you don't want to go to NYC ? :eek3:

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    eh, I've been up there a few times. I treat it just like I do at mardi gras or going to the bar. I carry OC and a knife. I didn't know the rule about the pocket clips. Guess I'll have to be more careful the next time I'm up for a visit. Random thought. How about an IWB concealed baton? 18" of telescoping steel with a ball on the end is a pretty good threat deterrent.

Cornbread504

Drink coffee and destroy.
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Uptown NOLA
    i'm not that worried about it, i'm just funny about leaving the South at all... also i won't know for a while if i'm going or not. I'm in the casting process for one of those dumb tattoo shows, but i don't know how many other people they are talking to about it. It's not that I'm scared of NY, it's just that being unarmed is such an unfamiliar idea to me... just the thought of it makes me feel naked. My pants don't even fit right without a pistol in them.

m1k3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Central, LA
    Used to live in upstate New York near Rochester. Not too hard to get a permit in the counties in upstate. A lot of paperwork and time, but it is possible. NYC and any of the counties near the city are nearly impossible.

Top Bottom