Nylon or aluminum for rail.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcm055

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Ruston LA
    I'm looking to ad a vertical foregrip on my AR. It's got a keymod hand guard and I was shopping for a 2 or 3" rail piece to attach it with. I know the nylon is lighter but will it hold up for a grip that likely won't be taken off and on? Or do I go with aluminum.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    You can get keymod forward grips that don't require a rail section. Unless you already have one and are going cheap. But the polymer nylon pieces will work for everything that doesn't need to hold zero, like a laser. Odds are you would brake then grip off the rail before the rail piece came off the handguard.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jcm055

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Ruston LA
    I guess I haven't looked hard enough for a grip then. I kind of browsed online and at Academy. Thanks for the quick response, I'm trying to order something this week since we always go shooting when we see my in-laws.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I saw that one last night. I think I want a round grip instead of a pistol grip, but that thing is so cheap I may get it and if I don't like it buy another. Academy had a Pro Mag grip I really liked but it was setup for picatinny, hence my original question haha

When I'm looking for ideas for a part, I will look at google images. Do a search for "keymod vertical grip" and see if there are any you like. I find that's one of the better ways to see what's out there.

Dave Porter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    The quick answer is stay with Aluminum. Yes it weighs more than Polymer but it would be such a small difference who cares? However, the Polymer is plenty strong enough so go with easy.

Yes, they sell direct mount key mod grips but a short 2* or 3* picatinny rail section is less than $5.00. But, if weight is a concern direct mount is lighter.

Top Bottom