Obama does it again.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Yes, this business of foreigners actually behaving like foreigners in those foreign countries where they're not themselves foreigners has got to stop!

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    it means he has a crappy protocol droid. I didn't know even 1/100thof every little nuance and custom when I lived there and I was married to a Japanese woman.

While studying the fine nuances isn't expected of every American in Japan, I would be willing to bet that Obama knew damn well the different types of bowing. Think about how much time the man probably spends rehearsing every speech he gives. He probably practiced this bow to make sure he was bent over enough.

thatwhichisnt

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    While studying the fine nuances isn't expected of every American in Japan, I would be willing to bet that Obama knew damn well the different types of bowing. Think about how much time the man probably spends rehearsing every speech he gives. He probably practiced this bow to make sure he was bent over enough.
    :rolleyes::rofl:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Unpardonable! Why should any American, POTUS or otherwise, respect the customs of another country?

Leaders bowing to leaders is wrong. They're equals at best. At worst, they're enemies. But I don't think we should thumb our nose at them. That just makes us the ignorant dumb asses instead when we refuse to respect their homes, and customs. Most Americans visit to appreciate new places. Very few are actually invited into the country.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Not upset about this at all. As a guest, one should show respect to their host. If Obama would have just tried to shake his hand, it would have been an insult to the Japanese and looked worse on America.

I have been to China 3 times and lived there for a while. The customs there, though not the same, hold a large amount of importance.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    No it doesn't.

Wiki says Yes:) http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_japanese_people_bow

Bowing ((o)jigi (お辞儀, おじぎ), (o-)rei (お礼)), is probably the feature of Japanese etiquette that is best-known outside Japan. Bowing is considered extremely important in Japan, so much so that, although children normally begin learning how to bow from a very young age, companies commonly provide training to their employees in how to execute bows correctly.

Basic bows are performed with the back straight and the hands at the sides (boys and men) or clasped in the lap (girls and women), and with the eyes down. Bows originate at the waist. Generally, the longer and deeper the bow, the stronger the emotion and the respect expressed.

Bows can be generally divided into three main types: informal, formal, and very formal. Informal bows are made at about a fifteen degree angle and more formal bows at about thirty degrees. Very formal bows are deeper.

The etiquette surrounding bowing, including the length and depth of bow, and the appropriate response, is exceedingly complex. For example, if the other person maintains his or her bow for longer than expected (generally about two or three seconds), it is polite to bow again, upon which one may receive another bow in return. This often leads to a long exchange of progressively lighter bows.

Generally speaking, an inferior bows longer, more deeply and more frequently than a superior. A superior addressing an inferior will generally only nod the head slightly, while some superiors may not bow at all and an inferior will bend forward slightly from the waist.

Bows of apology tend to be deeper and last longer than other types of bow. They tend to occur with frequency during the apology, generally at about 45 degrees with the head lowered and lasting for at least the count of three, sometimes longer. The depth, frequency and duration of the bow increases with the sincerity of the apology and the severity of the offence. Bows of thanks follow the same pattern. In extreme cases a kneeling bow is performed; this bow is sometimes so deep that the forehead touches the floor. This is called saikeirei (最敬礼), literally "most respectful bow."

When dealing with non-Japanese people, many Japanese will shake hands. Since many non-Japanese are familiar with the custom of bowing, this often leads to a combined bow and handshake which can be quite complicated to execute. Bows may be combined with handshakes or performed before or after shaking hands. Generally when bowing in close proximity, as necessitated when combining bowing and shaking hands, people turn slightly to one side (usually the left) to avoid bumping heads.

Last edited:

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Pain man, I love you and all, but you're still incorrect. What you said was that a bow from the waist shows subservience. I said it didn't. ALL bows come from the waist. He wouldn't have just bowed a little as that would be akin to you walking up to your friend, nodding your head and saying 'what's up'. A very formal bow is much deeper than what he did. Although he was bent over alot, that is customary for a bow for him to greet with. Split it by a few degrees if you want. It's really a stupid argument. The world is not America. Not everyone shakes hands. Is this really what the GOP is bitching about?

Last edited:

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA

Funny, they are all still shots. Post me each and every video of them and I'll respond. I will say his bow was too low, but it's not the end of the world. So are you saying that if the President bows to another world leader then he is incompetent, subservient and will lead the country to doom? Or is it just indicative that he is a failure asa leader?

Last edited:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Pain man, I love you and all, but you're still incorrect. What you said was that a bow from the waist shows subservience. I said it didn't. ALL bows come from the waist. He wouldn't have just bowed a little as that would be akin to you walking up to your friend, nodding your head and saying 'what's up'. A very formal bow is much deeper than what he did. Although he was bent over alot, that is customary for a bow for him to greet with. Split it by a few degrees if you want. It's really a stupid argument. The world is not America. Not everyone shakes hands. Is this really what the GOP is bitching about?

You are right. I mis-spoke. I mean't to say a deep bow. They should have just bumped fists. I love you too Penguin. In a manly kind of way. ;):rofl:

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    You are right. I mis-spoke. I mean't to say a deep bow. They should have just bumped fists. I love you too Penguin. In a manly kind of way. ;):rofl:

I agree that the deep bow was dumb, but to say it's indicative of him kowtowing to other leaders is kind of absurd. Eisenhower did it, Bush did it and plenty of people inbetween have.

Pookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    This photo explains it all. :D
    attachment.php

Divine light!

CZ75hub

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    I agree that the deep bow was dumb, but to say it's indicative of him kowtowing to other leaders is kind of absurd. Eisenhower did it, Bush did it and plenty of people inbetween have.

A leader is supposed to have a backbone, Obama's is obviously not very stable or else he could stand up straight. Why are you defending this man...wait not sure if he even deserves to be called that?

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    So are you saying that if the President bows to another world leader then he is incompetent, subservient and will lead the country to doom? Or is it just indicative that he is a failure asa leader?

No, just that he's a little bitch.... :mamoru:

Just yankin your chain Penguin.

Top Bottom